The Happiest Places On Earth Are Heavily Taxed

Discussion in 'Politics' started by weednotcrack, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Oh the horror of it all, huh?

I firmly believe we should get back to those 1776 mindsets.

2. agreed 100%
    maybe We The People need to encourage politicians and CEO's to take proper action for their embarrassing performances and/or criminal behaviors.

3. I don't know exactly what you mean by the above statement, but do you feel that it applies with the northern european countries in the article as well? Why are they reported to be happier? Surly they are not being forced or threatened with imprisonment by their governments, else they would not be happy.

Perhaps it's just easier to govern a smaller country, regardless of the taxes they pay, the people are just happier?

4. People are better represented and power isn't as corrupt, so ya, they should be happier.

This is precisely why many "tea baggers" support a return to the Constitution, the Federal government blows.

5. Yeah I think it's much easier to govern a small country. I think a shitload of trouble would arise if the European Union gained more power and made Europe practically one country. Although unlike America, we have the advantage of many different languages so we would most likely never become a giant state like America. Language is a major factor in determining boundaries. I could never see my country being under the same jurisdiction as Germany, and I think that mostly stems from the fact that they speak a different language.
    So I completely understand why so many people here support Ron Paul. Localize!

6. If we were to get rid of most federal taxes, would you have a grip with higher local taxes? Your community would directly benefit. You would immediately see the results of your tax dollars at work, hopefully, like roads, beatification projects, schools, parks, shit like that. And if things were being mismanaged or whatever, you could take it directly to the city council. Direct representation. This is probably what those smaller european countries experience, and a reason why they report that they are so happy.:)

7. Ya, that's pretty much what I've been saying forever. :)

"The EU acts under a system similar to our original confederacy, I believe to have left our states to compete would have enabled us to progress perhaps even further than the EU has. Weed would be legal and so would abortions. The people would have recognized the failures of prohibition by viewing the successes in other states." - aaronman, 2008

"You can oppose the Federal income tax and still support a state income tax, which some states had. But if you have states competing for settlers they will want to have the best tax system... who knows what we could have. It would be like Europe in that regard, more of a free trade confederacy." - aaronman, 2009

"If the US was a confederacy, kind of like the EU, we'd have progressed a lot more by now." - aaronman, 2010

"The US is a union and I don't see the harm in reducing the Federal government's role in state affairs. European countries got where they were not through centralization but through representative, localized government and competition." - aaronman, 2011

:D

8. Can you return to the constitution without taking away entitlements from the desperately poor and handing society over to big business by shrinking government power?

9. If 2/3rds of the people and 3/4ths of the state think entitlements should be provided by the Federal government then you should amend the Constitution to say so. Otherwise welfare should be a state issue.

As for the transition to a Constitutional government, the people who paid into the system will get their benefits. The "desperately poor" who rely on the Federal government should be weened off into state systems or voluntary charities.

The Constitution already protects people from the potential abuses of big business. As for the direction of society, that's in the consumer's hand. Shrinking the government to it's Constitutional role will only reduce big business influence over the people, which is probably why big business lobbies for big government.

10. Any examples of how big business lobbies for big business?

and if getting a welfare check from state government is okay then what is so evil about getting froma federal entity?

11. Who are these desperately poor who you say exist? Ive never seen them in America. Ive been to other countries and seen people who live on a dollar a month. Who is desperately poor in america? where are these people?

12. #32 aaronman, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011

PhRMA lobbies for health care reform in favor of mandates and brand exclusivity, FDA approval...

Health insurance companies lobby for health care reform in favor of mandates and regional exclusivity.

Cable, phone, rail etc have all been granted exclusive contracts from the state over the years.

Dupont lobbied to prohibit marijuana in the 1930s. Alcohol, Tobacco and the Prison industrial complex continue to support prohibition.

Colleges lobby for student loan legislation such as Pell grants.

The MIC lobbies for the war on terror in favor of lucrative contracts.

Large retail corporations, like WalMart, lobby for higher minimum wage to drown out competition.

Big banks lobby for a whole slew of policies, such as "Free trade" agreements, Federal Reserve system, cap & trade global warming legislation, etc...

Energy companies lobby for subsidies and research

Agricultural corporations lobby for subsidies and "Free trade"

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. If you give the Federal government the power to control the economy you will invite political entrepreneurs.

The main reason it's wrong for the Federal government to do it is because they don't have any legal authority to do it.

It's not fair if the people of, say, Montana, don't want a welfare state, but the people's representatives of 20 other states force them to join into one without a Constitutional amendment. They would need 2/3rds of house and 3/4ths of the state to make that decision, and if that's the case and Montana still doesn't approve, they should have the right to secede.

Our government supposedly supports the right to self determination for foreign peoples, why not for our own?

State government is simply better because you have a larger voice. Your state population, ideally, will better represent your interests. It travels through less bureaucracy, greater efficiency, and the effects will be more demonstratable.

13. Because it's not the federal governments job to be handing out welfare checks (see 10th amendment)

14. So by your logic Haiti, Syria, Egypt, Georgia, Iran and Zimbabwe are happier than the US, Canada, Denmark, The Netherlands, New Zealand and Japan?

Suicide rates and gross domestic happiness are not even remotely related. Suicide has much more to do with cultural traditions (Japanese people are more likely to kill themselves than hard-core Christians who believe that suicides go to endless purgatory or hell) and even chemical imbalances more than satisfaction with life.

The fact of the matter is that the countries which avoided the global economic crisis the most were those with the high tax rates (the nations with the lowest tax rates in Europe are the countries asking for bail-outs...) and those are also the countries with the highest standards of living. I've been to every country in Europe outside of a few of the former Soviet Republics, Macedonia, Montenegro and Andorra and the quality of life is pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain. Norway, Sweden and Denmark are better than Italy and Spain, even though I personally enjoy Italy more (because of the food and history) it's obvious that the quality of life is worse than up north in Scandanavia.

15. Really?
    You've never seen the poor in the US?

Where the hell do you live?

I've lived in Washington DC, San Francisco, outside of Boston, New Orleans and San Diego and I've seen the desperately poor in all of those places. Ever hear of homeless people? Ever hear of the projects? Ever see the type of most people in prison? Those people are desperately poor. In a country with 100s of billionaires, that's pretty pathetic.

This statement by you just proves everything I've said about your ignorance in the past. You clearly have no clue about how the world really is. You honestly think that America has no problems with poverty? 1% of our population is homeless, that's pretty pathetic in a country with so much money...

Why do you think those bums are begging for pennies and digging through the trash for a discarded pizza crust and the piss-warm backwash at the end of a 40oz bottle of Olde English?

16. There are many more difference between the countries listed than just personal income tax, lol.

(For the millionth time).

17. Yeah, strong social programs, liberal social policies, open trade and economic freedom...

Where are your examples of successful countries with 0% income tax? Oh yeah, there are none.

18. my daddy wasnt a CEO ( like your claim yours to be), so i had to live in the ghetto. Born and raised in East Detroit. You are confusing drug addicts for homeless people, a common mistake by kids with ceo daddys who drive through the ghetto once a year on the way to the sports stadium. Show me how many people died last year in United States from starvation?

19. First of all, I am not supported by my father financially, I support myself because I work hard and have a good education. I've lived in some very poor areas and have PLENTY of experience in the ghetto. Ever been to New Orleans? Yeah, that's a ghetto and there's plenty of poor people there who aren't crack addicts or alcoholics.

Being from East Detroit, you're from the heart of poverty and most of your neighbors would have nothing if not for the Welfare state. Why do you think those people get food? Welfare, food stamps and other programs paid for by taxes. Seriously, this is really simple stuff.

People don't starve to death here because we provide them with support, mostly through TAX-SUPPORTED programs. End welfare and food stamps like you've suggested and those people will suddenly have no food and no money and will either die of starvation or commit crimes to avoid starving. Plus, we're such a wasteful society that our trash helps sustain life for the homeless and those who suffer abject poverty. Every night my trash cans are raided by men looking for food or plastic bottles to trade for money to buy food.

Homeless people are not just drug addicts, they are women who escape domestic violence, they are teenagers who run away from home for many different reasons, they are people who have no family that are laid off from low-paying jobs. Why do you argue this stuff when you clearly have no knowledge of what you're arguing about? Do you ever actually support a wild claim with any evidence?

20. so where are these desperately poor i ask again? where is your evidence of desperate poor in our country ? What is desperate poor to you? Cable with out high definintion? Cell phone with out touch screen? Please. Every American who wants food has access to food. We dont have starving americans dieing in the street. Where is your knowledge? Where is your support?

This is how you described them
    "
    Why do you think those bums are begging for pennies and digging through the trash for a discarded pizza crust and the piss-warm backwash at the end of a 40oz bottle of Olde English?"

yeah america is so bad , that run away woman have drink the ass end backwash of a 40 oz olde english.