The greatest Amazon River disaster in history

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by 605skunk, Nov 10, 2010.

1. The greatest Amazon River disaster in history | Blog | Practical Fishkeeping

this makes me so sad, as a living being and an aquahobbyist. :(

"There are millions of freshwater fish dead – probably billions. Just a few years back I watched over two billion catfishes, members of all 10 known Amazon catfish families, during a spawning migration in the Tefé region, on a river stretch of less than 25km, which is dried up now."

2. Every day there seems to be a new environmental disaster :( My marine biology professor was saying to our class that if current fishing practices and environmental trends continue we'll all have to eat jellyfish within the next century.

3. Yup, its horrid. I also heard most marine fish will die. And amphibians will die out in the next 30 years. Isn't that CRAZY?!

4. holy shit.......

5. I've been learning about how water diversion in the US has been killing lots of freshwater species. Like diverting water from rivers for agriculture and building reservoirs, etc. Humans always manage to do catastrophic damage when they mess with nature.

6. It seems so doesn't it?
    We make too many quick and drastic changes for any species but our own to adapt.

7. is that our fault or the other species for not being able to keep up? Scientifically I can think of plenty of reasons why we should worry about the other animals of the world and keeping them here but personally, sorry but I could care less. All life is a competition, if you can't keep up then evolution will fix the problem. We have plenty of room at the zoom for the slow kids of nature.

8. Humans having superior intelligence wasn't just evolution, theres nothing animals can do to keep up with the rate of technology growth. I don't even want to say what I think of that statement, but I will say that I think you're wrong

9. honestly i had a good laugh at my last sentence and how dickish it has to sound. But to say our superior intelligence wasn't just evolution is based on your idea alone and not in any facts (other than we are the only example of that level of intelligence to date).

I know it sounds terrible to say but why is it that because we have such intelligence are we automatically required to take care of those that can't adapt? If a drought comes along we don't go in and take all the animals away from it to save them so why is it that if they can't adapt to us being here we are required to be their caretakers?

Please keep in mind I am all for taking care of animals and not pooping where we live but I also don't feel like less of a person for not giving a crap if someone eats the last whale/dog/cat/dodo bird.

ability does not equal a requirement

10. Preserving life isn't a responsibility. Nobody said it was.
    But respecting life and appreciating it is different.

You could care less about things that don't interest you, we all do that.

But to those who do enjoy life and DO want to preserve biodiversity, this news is very hardhitting.