The Great Illusion

Discussion in 'General' started by jack herra, May 12, 2009.

1. As so many of us have noticed, day-to-day living in modern society has become alienated from nature. It isn't just a function of being cooped up in buildings, traveling on roads in motor vehicles, and obtaining our food off of refrigerated shelves.

Increasingly, perceived reality is also made up of society's constructs. Our relationships have become more centered around money and individual self-interest. So, the individual's growing alienation in a material environment is compounded by dominant society's ever-expanding rules.

In our personal daily dealings, our time and thoughts are taken up by unnatural outside stimuli: mass media, relationships with people in the socioeconomic context, artificial living in modern homes and offices, etc. These circumstances shape our perception.

However, we may not realize how much our minds and way of viewing the universe have been taken over by the social system. It is sometimes only possible to grasp it on a visceral- or altered-consciousness level, when we escape to a natural environment and live without society or much technology.

2. Did someone take some LSD today?

3. Fuck yeah man, +rep

4. Wow, its hard to put that concept into words but you sure did. I'd +rep if I could.

5. I wish i took some LSD,

acid is dead here,cant find it no matter were you look

luckly im moveing back to rhode island,theres some bomb cid around there.

6. So true. It's nice to just take a walk and enjoy everythin around you!

There is SO MUCH stuff out there that people miss or take for granted every day.

7. I do slightly agree however my grandpa sums it up nicely. "there was nothing good about the good ol' days."

8. I've thought this since a very young age....

9. That's the age your supposed to think this. Before society molds you...

10. There were a couple of replies joking about "the op had taken lsd earlier."

That's really not fucking hard to wrap your head around, if I could do it at ages 6-8 before even learning about cannabis, then surely it's not hard for some people to open up as well.

Everybody has their own perceptions I guess, but... saying LSD is the 'cause for thoughts is ridiculous.

11. I just finished reading 1984.

12. Thought this thread was gonna be about Styx...

Edit: Thats Grand Illusion, doh.

13. Have you ever heard an acid head ramble on about their philosophies?

It sounds a lot like the OP's first post. Its a joke dude, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

14. I would have killed to live down haight ashberry in 1967,the good ol days were way better then the present,but i guess thats just my view on the subject.

15. I hate cities and I hate technology...

we live way out in the country...I drive 40 miles just to buy groceries, we cut our own wood, burn our own wood, burn a lot of our garbage, grow our own garden, we ain't got cable, I got internet, but it's dialup, and I'm okay with that...if I could go back in time to the days of claiming your stake on a prairie somewhere and riding horseback, I think I would

I went to town this morning to see my daughter....is a nice sunny day here in Michigan...I get into town, and it just amazes me the freaks that are coming out of hibernation and walking the streets...I could never live in the city again...try to only go once a week if possible...

I'm a simple girl and love nothing better than to be one with nature...

16. Yes, they were...mainly because people had morals and respect for one another....if you broke down on the side of the road, someone would stop and help you...in this day and age it's all 'me, me, me'...nobody gives a shit about nobody else...always a game of 'one-upping' each other...Keeping up with the Jones's :rolleyes:

17. I agree.
    But I realize people aren't willing to accept the inconvenient losses.

18. tru that bro,took me like 2 hours the other day to find a ride a couple miles down the road.people are just to wraped up in it all.

19. #19 MopTop, May 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009
    Also because you can't trust people. I live right infront of a bus stop and sometimes i feel like offering a person a ride, but its kinda sketch. Might be even more sketch to the person being offered a ride."Why is this person being nice? This is weird."

20. ya seriously i'm with you, people learned over the yrs of media and news that u can't trust anyone basically.