The Great Global Warming Swindle

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by aaronman, Nov 24, 2008.

1. [ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4123082535546754758&hl=en"]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4123082535546754758&hl=en[/ame]

Check it out

2. Be wary of this film's criticisms.

Although it harps on some important chords, it strays far from the path of intellectual honesty.

3. In what ways?

I'm glad to see this video back online... it was taken down from Youtube awhile back, so it must be hitting on something.

Do, you "believe" in man-made global warming?

4. Thanks, I haven't watched the entire thing yet but I'll keep an eye out.

Do you remember the false claim?

5. To answer Perpetual Burn: I am skeptical of the claim of anthropogenic climate change.

Although it is based upon confirmed conjecture, temperature models can have errancy margins of +100%. At that point, you're better off flipping a coin to determine the variability of climate. Also there are issues of interpretation of the Vostock Ice Core data, etc.

Anthropogenic climate change could be occuring -- The evidence I've seen has simply not supported this conclusion. I find tenuous correlation at best.

Also, concerning the film, there are issues around interviewees being misrepresented and misportrayed, etc.

I really haven't looked into this film too much, and I haven't seen it in quite awhile. I'm pretty sure wikipedia has a decent summation of criticisms.

6. I agree Sam.

Though I value some new insight on the subject from the authoritative sources, a lot of the logic is flawed. Because a lot of money goes into global warming issues, it does not follow that every scientist involved in global warming issues is corrupt. There must be sincere individuals on both sides.

Even if global warming isn't a real threat, I do believe it is responsible of us to limit the impact we have on our environment. The waste we produce that does not fit back into the natural cycle of things is irresponsible.

7. More than enough for me to not watch and save an hour of my life...

8. Unless you believe in man-made global warming... then you should pay attention.

The video is produced by BBC... so it should be as "credible" as CNN, FOX, etc. who crap-out man-made global warming propaganda left and right.

9. Brilliance.

10. #10 Perpetual Burn, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
    Does anybody have a link to an article about the 13,000 (or maybe 30,000) climatologists who signed a petition saying they did not believe carbon emissions were causing global warming? But the government threatened to take away all their public funding so they had to back off.

Here are a few of the most important facts from this video:

Only 5% of the earth's carbon emissions are man-made. Only .5% of the entire atmosphere is made up of CO2.

Every
    planet in the solar system has been getting hotter at the same rate as the earth since we've been observing.

Carbon levels are a result of temperature change, not the cause.

Also, Bob Lutz, the CEO of General Motors, while on the Colbert Report promoting a hybrid-electic "green" car said he does not believe in man-made global warming. Think about that. A man that has the most to gain from man-made global warming selling "green" products does not believe in global warming.

This is just a racket... a swindle, if you will.

"The great masses of people will much more easily fall victim to a big lie than to a small one"- Adolf Hitler

11. global warming is just part of the nature.. i used to believe that we created the global warming but it was all just a scam... but we humans, from 1900s to today, the co2 went way high so that may created more hotter. when its too hot.. ice age??

do u think when co2 is high, the temp get higher, which means the storm get bigger... then somehow, it drops down to cold temp by snow storms or something..
    once there no more ice caps then ice age will come?

12. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    they want you to ditch all the 'non-green' shit they sold you for 'green' shit that they have yet to sell you
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

13. Perhaps not, but why waste time that could be spent learning about credible things with a piece that so clearly does not fit into that catagory?

14. Your discrediting this entire video based on the opinion of one dude on a forum that had vague concerns?

You must use your power modestly, Sam_Spade. ;)

15. All I was trying to say is why would I waste an hour of my life watching a documentary that obviously is not generally accepted? I've heard this material before, and its just as unfounded as it was before this movie was created.

16. good video, but let us not forget that just because we are not casung global warming dosent mean we arnt destroying our earth in other ways. deorestation, toxins, deprevation of water, mass explotation and abuse of the worlds animals.
    global warming is not the only issue at hand when concerning human-enviornment interactions.