The Grand Canyon of Mars

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by MelT, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Not new, just a really nice shot.

Astronomy Picture of the Day

Discover the cosmos! Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.
    2011 March 27
    [​IMG]
    Valles Marineris: The Grand Canyon of Mars
    Credit: Viking Project, USGS, NASA Explanation: The largest canyon in the Solar System cuts a wide swath across the face of Mars. Named [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crsqzZNUXsY"]Valles Marineris[/ame], the grand valley extends over 3,000 kilometers long, spans as much as 600 kilometers across, and delves as much as 8 kilometers deep. By comparison, the Earth's Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA is 800 kilometers long, 30 kilometers across, and 1.8 kilometers deep. The origin of the Valles Marineris remains unknown, although a leading hypothesis holds that it started as a crack billions of years ago as the planet cooled. Several geologic processes have been identified in the canyon. The above mosaic was created from over 100 images of Mars taken by Viking Orbiters in the 1970s.

2. damn dude if you fell off that cliff itd be a minute

3. i hope one day they can take people on trips to other planet and watnot itd be so tight

4. Thanks for posting the image of Mars it's one of the best I've seen

5. Isn't it beautiful?:) Not a word I use often, but it seems apt here.

MelT

6. Great post, man!

Something I've always found interesting; Mars is about half the size of Earth, and yet it's geographical features are way more extreme.

It's grand canyon is nearly 5 times the size of ours, and it's tallest mountain is at an elevation almost 3 times the size of ours.

Olympus Mons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blows my mind.. 82,000 feet :eek:

7. With 3/8 gravity volcanos can get massive!

8. Half the total size of earth but it has the same amount of dry land as earth. I know one of the planets is like that at least I think it's mars.

imagine getting to watch Olympus Mons erupting. now that would be a sight.

9. Oh that would certainly be an otherworldly sight... literally :smoke:

Check this, Hellas Planitia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think about what would have had to hit Mars to make a crater that big.

10. wow, that means that the amount of rock that got ejected was almost the size of the US. I love things that are so big that if we actually saw them happen it would take hours to finish, things so big it makes real life move in slow motion. :hello:

Man I love space ;p I had a dream the other night that I was riding in a spacecraft that was just a big room with windows and it was flying out from earth towards the outer solar system. I got into the asteroid belt before I got too nervous and woke up lol (it was a passive ride, no controlling it to get out of the way of asteroids)

11. gorgeous shit man

12. That sounds like a fuckin' awesome dream. I wish that dreams wouldn't slip away upon waking up so easily. The moment that you concentrate on something else, the majority of the dream is entirely forgotten. But I bet if we could re-watch the dreams we've had, it'd be chill as fuck :)

13. I once wrote a story about futuristic mountain climbers going on an expedition to Olympus Mons. :smoke:

14. Do you still have a copy of it? I'd be interested in reading it :smoke:

15. Unfortunately no, it was lost when the forum I put it on disappeared. :(

I've always wanted to rewrite it but never could find motivation...

Maybe I should smoke up one night and go for it.

16. Damn, well I can relate to that. One of my pal's in high school created a forum dedicated to poetry and basically all forms of expression through writing.

I posted what I consider my best work of art, but I've never been able to re-write it from memory.

17. It's like losing a child for me. It was horrible. I loved that story and everyone said that I should seriously consider publishing it. It was insanely detailed and crazy.

18. Pfft that is clearly fake.

19. Well, man. If you were capable of writing it the first time.. you must be capable of writing something similar or another story entirely! If you do, you should send a copy my way. I've always been interested in writing fiction, but I've never considered myself good enough for it.

I assure you... it's very real.

20. I'll definitely post it on here and shoot you a link just in case you miss it. I should be getting resupplied on my birthday (the 18th) or 420 at least. So that's when I'll get back on it. I have some of my stories posted in the Artist's Corner on here if you're interested.

And hell man, I think anyone's capable of writing fiction, they just have to be motivated enough. It has to be about a subject that intensely interests them. It has to flow, ya know?