The Golden Rule

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Baloobas, Apr 23, 2010.

1. #1 Baloobas, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2010
    The Golden Rule

Christianity

In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets
    - Mathew 7:12

Judaism

What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour. This is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary
    - Talmad, Shabbat 31a

Islam

Not one of you truly believes until you wish for others what you wish for yourself
    - Mohammad, Hadith

Hinduism

This is the sum duty: do not do to others what would cause pain to you
    - Mahabharata 5:1517

Buddhism

Treat not others in ways that you yourself would find harmful
    - Udana- Varga 5.18

Sikhism

I am a stranger to no one; and no one is a stranger to me. Indeed I am a friend to all
    - Guru Granth Sahib, pg. 1299

Baha'i Faith

Lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things that you would not desire for yourself
    - Baha'u'llah, Gleanings

Confucianism

On word that sums up the basis of all good conduct...loving kindness. Do not do to others what you would not want done to yourself
    - Confucius, Analects 15:23

Taoism

Regard your neighbors gain as your own gain, and your neighbors loss as your own loss
    - T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien, 213-218

Unitarianism

We affirm and promote respect for the independent web of all existence of which we are a part.
    - unitarianism principal

Jainism

One should treat all creatures in the world as one would like to be treated
    - Mahavira, Sutrakritanga

Zoroastrianism

Do not do unto others what is dangerous for yourself
    - Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29

Neo-paganism

We are as much alive as we keep the earth alive
    - Chief Dan George

Mohism

If people regarded other people's families in the same way that they regard their own, who then would incite their own family to attack that of another? For one would do for others as one would do for oneself.
    - Mozi, Mozi ch 16

2. Taoism ftw!

3. amen brother, that was very enjoyable. that list along with a lot more citations should be engraved in stone monuments all over the world.

you know, i don't know a whole lot about it, but i do know there is a similar quote in the "satanic" bible by anton lavey.

put that in ya'lls pipes and smoke it!

4. well obviously all these religions call for living a good moral life. Jesus and Buddha taught the same thing, even Muhammad (core teachings were good morals). Notice how changes to all these religions happened after these guys were already dead for 20+ years.

enjoyable read, enjoyable post.

-fby

5. #5 psilosylum, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
    yes here they are, there are "11 rules of the earth", the rules i didn't include, did not really apply to this thread. i would never consider myself a "satanist", but these are very compassionate and admirable rules of conduct. and yes, i know number 11 is a bit extreme.
    1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
    2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
    3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
    5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
    6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
    8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    9. Do not harm little children.
    10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
    11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

6. Thanks for this, nice collection and I know most of them already but it's always refreshing to reread.
    I would highly recommend the Hindu Upanishads, or at least a collection of them, they are these wonderful poems or Hindu Scripture.

7. Satanism's just regurgitated Nietzschean philosophy with some theatrics thrown in to sell copies. LeVay was a bit of a tool really.

8. buddha has taught me alot.
    and to ignore my hate was one of them :D

i just smokemyherb:bongin: and share my love :love:

9. You don't need any religion to know what is right and what is wrong. It's common sense.

I have a strong distaste for any religion, so don't mind the negativity. :)

10. Believe me, we know. He's just pointing out the similarities. Follow them if you want, don't if you don't.

11. truthfully i prefer to look at things like buddhism as more fo a philosophy

12. Well you have to choose one, despite it all being the same.