The God Helmet

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by stenod, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I just saw a show on discovery that talked about it. Theyre using it to simulate NDE's, the technology is still new but its interesting stuff. Granted it would be easier to just take a couple hits of acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

The term God Helmet refers to a controversial experimental apparatus in neurotheology. The apparatus, placed on the heads of experimental subjects, stimulated their brains with magnetic fields. Some subjects reported experiences similar to spiritual experiences.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-0>[1]</SUP> The leading researcher in this area is Michael Persinger. Persinger uses a modified snowmobile helmet or a head-circlet device nicknamed the Octopus that contain solenoids which create a weak but complex magnetic field over the brain's right-hemisphere parietal and temporal lobes. Persinger reports that at least 80 per cent of his participants experience a presence beside them in the room, which they variously say feels like God or someone they knew who had died.

2. Very interesting. I wonder if there are any physical side effects from the machine.

3. Intersting, the idea of a magnetic hallucination machine you strap on your head! I don't know if it works or not, but what a theme party that would make for! By the end of the night, you'd have re-written the Quran and the Bible, stopped evolution in its tracks, and re-mutated back into a howler monkey! Where's Chayevsky when you need him?

4. Definitely a crazy idea. I can't wait to see where it goes in terms of testing.

5. the haarp project uses technology to manipulate the earth's ionosphere. this technology could be used to generate a mass religious hallucination anywhere in the world.

6. This is waaaaaay old, but interesting:) Persinger and others were doing this 20 years and more ago. No problem with what he was doing, but it was the conclusions that he reached. He, and a 'scientist' here called Susan Blackmore decided that the feelings that they got when wearing this helmet accounted for all kinds of things, like OOBE's, 'alien abduction', and spiritual experiences, which were caused by the earth's magnetic field acting like the helmet. However, earth can't produce the specific frequencies that he used,a nd nor can they be targetted at the specific places in the brain they need to be.

More importantly though, none of the people who use the helmet have ever reported any experience that sounded anything like real OOBE's or spiritual experiences. Not even close in fact. Presences, reaching arms, feelings of disembodiment and fear. None of this is remotely like what it's meant to be. Persinger has to be applauded for doing this work, but not for drawing the conclusions about it that he did.

MelT

7. People love to draw massive conclusions after doing studies that show little, and prove even less. :)

8. very interesting, it kinda sounds like the helmet in X-Men ;) in ways

Grasscity Deals Near You