the george floyd trail was set up for failure the second they announced the charges

Discussion in 'Politics' started by letsmokeasweet, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Yes, I think you do misunderstand. That's quite common here in the politics, though, emotions quickly dominate rational thought and we want to think the worst of people who don't completely agree with us - especially when we feel very strongly one way or the other. I think it's fair to say that you've been very emotionally engaged in this from the beginning. I for one agree with the verdict, to calm your nerves in that regard.

Do you believe this case to be completely isolated from politics and culture, Possum? That there isn't a context of continual abuse and injustice here, which contributes in making this case as world famous as it is? That there isn't some pressure - manifested physically in the mobs outside the courthouse, to take one example among many - that may impact how you'd view the case? I separate these observations from the validity of the verdict. I can only repeat that I agree with it. But to pretend it has been isolated, as I said, is to be naive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1

2. i guess i dont completely follow what you're saying but i often have comprehension issues. yes, i've been emotionally attached to this horrific crime since day one. what i witnessed, which is what everyone else witnessed, was the second most heinous act i have ever witnessed imparted on a human being. i cant unsee the first most heinous act i witnessed and i wont be able to unsee what happened to George Floyd.

i say chauvin 's guilty verdicts were spot on 100% correct. i'll try to sit out on the rest of the comments as i would not have anything of value to add. so yes, my emotions run a bit deep on this issue but i believe my feelings on the matter are 100% objective. i'm confident i heard and watched the truth during the trial and had i been on the jury i would have voted guilty on all counts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yep, verdict influenced by violence, but violence begets violence.

• Like Like x 1
  4. For the third time, I also think they are correct. :) You can lower your guard. I still think you misunderstand, given this reply. I don't know how to explain myself any better than what I've already posted, though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. i'm not ragging on ya. apologies if i'm not making my point clear either. cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. No need to apologize, Possuum, I was never offended. You're one of the good guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. I for one am very relieved. I had horrible fears about the verdict. I'm glad they saw sense and reason and found him guilty.
    There was never any question of what he did, being that everyone watched the video. That was cold blooded murder and I am glad Chauvin is going down for it.
    I don't think anyone was intimidated by pressure outside the case, or anything political. Like I said, everyone saw what happened. They just voted on the truth and the truth prevailed.
    Let him serve his time and live with his karma for the rest of his miserable life.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Maybe. An unlawful assembly is one that breaks a law. Can you give an example of how this can be loosely interpreted?

If you're with a couple of people robbing a bank you can expect to be charged with bank robbery. Why shouldn't you be charged with a crime if you're with a group of people looting stores?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. #149 WeedCat, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Sure. Say one of the rules for protesting is staying off the street and it's a sidewalk only protest. Say someone steps off the sidewalk on to the street and they get tagged for that one thing. Being a rule breaker. You might say, "That's ridiculous!" And it is but that's the kind of crappy shit black people endure on a daily basis. They get pulled over or jacked up for the lamest stuff. We all groan at cops but this is different. This is profiling and it's been going on for way too long now.

Of course people shouldn't loot, steal, damage and set fire to buildings but this isn't really about that is it?
    It's more like a cause and effect thing going on. And looting is the result of something way bigger.

If you are constantly getting hassled, jacked up, beaten or arrested by the cops or you have to hear about someone who is on a daily basis, whether it's a friend or in the news, you would start to feel all sorts of unwanted emotions. Unsafe, agitated, scared, and pissed.

Do you or your friends feel that way when they walk down the street to buy a coke? What do you think that does to people? This is a constant form of abuse that chips away at people.

No one wants to burn their own home down but when you get pushed and pushed and then some innocent bystander happens to be at the (for lack of a better word) right place at the right time to film someone getting murdered at the hands of cops and you see it on the television, you might just fucking lose it with a whole range of emotions. When that got aired on TV, a floodgate of emotions from the black community came out and no one has the right to judge them for it unless you've been in their shoes.

You can't keep abusing without consequences. Even a child would break everything in their own bedroom if they finally had it with abuse, or worse. Happens all the time. Just think of this in regards to the protests.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Thats called throwing a tantrum and fear mongering.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Apparently Chauvin should have been weeded out of the police force years ago. A racist is a racist, now and always.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. You’d think they would have charged him then but I suppose even 4 years ago no one was raising a stink like they are now - and of course rightfully so.

j

13. Let's hope it leads to more of his ilk being weeded out from the police force. It's a loss for everyone to have such people represent the cops.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I dont think it will...this has been made about race not police brutality or aggressive over policing.

Hell its happened this long
    The numbers have never changed...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Maybe if we can get honest accountabiltity from both sides, but, i think some are addicted to bad behaviour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. so true. i guess we will be seeing the other side burn shit down in a couple of years when they get frustrated with what is going to happen and there is pressure to change all of that. hopefully it will be ok for them as it is for the people who are burning stuff now

17. the chauvin guy look very comfortable while he was kneeing him in the neck. as if he had done it before. i wouldn’t be surprised if he did it all of the time. it’s just this time, the guy died. regardless if it was political or the jury worried about the social backlash, he clearly contributed to his death. regardless the dude poped a bunch of pills and od’d, the cop should NOT have touched him in that manor and i am happy that person is going to be held responsible for his actions.

18. honest accountability is a great word but the people in power will never hold themselves accountable, just like most of us would not either

19. well the dems are now in power; they are very cleverly changing the rules, the laws, the states , the supreme court, all in their favor.
    before the 2020 election
    they succored the large cities in key areas that can significantly change the electoral vote. pretty much every large city is ran by democrat. then they started passed voting laws that would give democrats an advantage. we saw all those ‘votes’ come in during the middle of the night as a result of those rule changes
    there will never be a republican president again

• Funny Funny x 1