The Future of Marijuana in the United States

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by claygooding, Apr 30, 2013.

1. The Future of Marijuana in the United States

This is a paper worked up by Duke at Yale,,very well researched and written piece:

In November 2012, Washington and Colorado voters approved initiatives legalizing use and possession of small quantities of
    marijuana. Before that, eighteen states had legalized medical use of
    marijuana with differing levels of regulation. 'snipped'

Add this to your literature for future reference and showing inquisitive minds.:smoke:

2. OP How long do you expect it will take for full federal legalization throughout the US?

3. With alcohol still banned in some counties around the country it is hard to say it will ever be "across the nation,however,how long before the govt takes to remove cannabis is the burning question,,if marijuana is removed from DEA control,,the rest will finally be decided by science and practical experience. How much is our govt willing to spend trying to put the genie back in the bottle shows how much money is flowing in DC and state capitols around the country trying to keep hemp off the open market,,as our tax dollars go flowing into the bottomless pit of prohibition so does the cost to those corporations paying for it,,,my take is that we will have to remove a few long standing prohibition spokes persons in our congress to point out that marijuana legalization is that important an issue,,important enough to lose their jobs over.

4. This article hits the bullseye in so many ways (except calling Gonzales v. Raich "correct").

It takes the right approach. When preaching to the uninformed we are much better off emphasizing the harms of prohibition than the benefits of cannabis.

Your average non-user will often respond with a shrug and disinterested sigh when you extol the virtues of cannabis. The same person will often become outraged when presented with the incredible harm and ineffectiveness of prohibition.

In particular, many of our most outspoken reform-minded legislators are quick to point out that they are not "potheads", but are instead trying to correct a longstanding injustice.

Keep pushing the harms of prohibition. Of course this is made much easier by the fact that cannabis is an almost entirely benign substance.

5. Gotta disagree there. Very few are interested in anything but themselves.
    You can state we are the biggest jailor in the world, and people barely bat an eyelash, for example. They just assume that is where the "bad people" go, and that we have no such thing as political prisoners in America.

6. Oddly enough, though, even with all that money they are still losing. Kentucky and i believe another state is making it legal for people to grow and harvest hemp. So their efforts in keeping it off the market has failed. So the only logical step now is to continue for the full legalization of Cannabis and Hemp. The dominoes have already started falling and they are picking up speed as they fall.

7. Don't let it get lost in translation, however, that corporations were deemed "people" by our esteemed SCOTUS.

Big oil will cash in with those states. EPA mandates for non-corn biofuel are hanging out there for the corporations to cash in on for meeting production quotas. Hemp will net them the harvests they need to meet those mandates and get a "bonus" in the form of our tax dollars to big oil.

Progress? Maybe for the Koch bros. ;)

8. Maybe the prison statistic is not the most persuasive argument then?

Find the prohibition failure they will care about the most. If they don't care about our penchant for filling our prisons, bring up the trillions we have spent with no significant reduction in supply or demand. Point out the racial disparity of drug arrests. With 42% of all U.S. citizens having tried marijuana, almost everyone knows someone who has used it, and often it will be someone they care about. Bring up the terrible damage that can be done to a life as the result of an arrest. I know I don't need to tell you the talking points :)

I agree that most people are self-centered, but I'm enough of an optimist to believe that everyone cares about something. Money, liberty, civil rights, compassion for the sick, etc... Yes there will be some who never "get it", but there are many who would care more if they knew more.

My main point (and perhaps I did not communicate it well) was that you will convince more non-believers by showing them the evils of prohibition than you will by trying to convince them of the benefits of cannabis.

That's been my experience anyway...

9. As soon as we get these stubborn,stupid,sheep politicians out..you have these people who deny research, and refuse to budge, you still have areas in states where it is decriminalized who are bitter and will still bust you for marijuana.

The thing I find funny is you email your congressman and you'll most likely hear that they don't believe in medicinal properties of marijuana....SMFH...gotta love this country...fucking states cutting budgets all around,including education, and then you have all these people..most likely young adults who tend to get caught with marijuana possession and get fucked. Then you have stings to catch dealers.

Fucking had 4 cops around here trying to catch a dealer who fucking never sells more than a OZ.

10. [quote name='"Jerzeslugga"']

As soon as we get these stubborn,stupid,sheep politicians out..you have these people who deny research, and refuse to budge, you still have areas in states where it is decriminalized who are bitter and will still bust you for marijuana.

The thing I find funny is you email your congressman and you'll most likely hear that they don't believe in medicinal properties of marijuana....SMFH...gotta love this country...fucking states cutting budgets all around,including education, and then you have all these people..most likely young adults who tend to get caught with marijuana possession and get fucked. Then you have stings to catch dealers.

Fucking had 4 cops around here trying to catch a dealer who fucking never sells more than a OZ.[/quote]

My friend had a sting done on him. He was selling a quad to an undercover, then 6 cop cars surrounded him and arrested him. Then he had to go to court at least 4 times, at the end he only got probation. Think about how much that cost. You had to pay the cops, judges, jury, ect. All for 7.5 grams of weed, which in this area is worth about $80 bucks. And who picksup the bill? The taxpayers of course.

11. I think the future is so bright. No question about that. the present Government inspires it. heh!