The future of energy?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Magical Wizard, Jan 5, 2013.

1. #1 Magical Wizard, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
    DESERTEC Foundation: Start
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXx02iMsDqI&sns=em[/ame]

Thoughts? But the only problem is that energy is lost while being transported.

2. What happens when northern African countries own the energy production? They also own the world.

That plan sounds very NWOish.

But I like.wind an solar as local energy sources.

A better solution though is Bio fuel which is basically natural solar energy that can be stored and transported

3. Yes wind energy is great. Those turbines only kill tens(?) of thousands of birds every year including the national bird.
    How come the environmentalists are so quiet on this?

4. Maybe because the more widely used forms of energy production are killing the entire planet.

5. Yea desertec wouldn't necessarily solve energy independence for europe and the US, but it would help the northern African economies and standard of living. And biofuel is a nice alternative energy source but it doesn't solve the problem of fuel emissions.

This thread is mainly to address the feasibility of the world being powered by deserts in the future, solar power could provide more than enough energy to power the entire world. The US could become energy independent with concentrated solar power farms located in the deserts of the southwest.

Wind power is nice too, so is geothermal, and hydropower. @Badbruce the pros of renewable energy far outweigh the cons for example wind turbines kill approximately 440,000 birds annually and fossil fuel powerplants kill 14,000,000 annually (as well as killing the entire planet as sirsog said)

6. #6 1badbruce, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013

I'm not saying don't develop alternative energy just lets make economically viable first.
    Bankrupting America to lead the world in green energy is not the answer. How much did your grocies go up in the past 4 years due to the doubling of the price of gas? 0bama has said he wants to see gas prices in line with Europe, that's 8 dollars a gallon or so, whither the price of food then.

Buying our oil from foreign sources is just plain stupid when you ask yourself are they going to be more concerned about the environmental impact than Americans, the American government that regulates the oil & gas industry, or the oil & gas industry themselves.
    You know better than that.

Show me a legitimate link on that 14,000,000 birds.
    Cheers

7. #7 Magical Wizard, Jan 6, 2013
    The us government doesn't need to fund green energy and pick winners and losers. Warren Buffet recently bought a solar plant by LA, in the future green energy could allow the US to be energy independent.

And this is the article I was looking at
    ScienceDirect.com - Energy Policy - Contextualizing avian mortality: A preliminary appraisal of bird and bat fatalities from wind, fossil-fuel, and nuclear electricity
    [​IMG]

8. I have no doubts that people will continue to make solar power more efficient/economic as the price of oil increases. Mankind will never run out of solar energy.

However I'm quite interested to see if we can accomplish the ITER and its successors.

ITER - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. I agree with most of the rest of your post, but when did gas prices double under Obama. I keep hearing this everywhere and for a while on talk radio that's almost all they said for weeks before the election. Yet I see absolutely no justification for the statement.

I'm no Obama supporter but I do support facts, and I just don't see any facts when people talk about gas prices doubling under Obama. I remember when gas broke $4 a gallon under Bush and that hasn't happened yet(at least where I live) under Obama. We're back down under $3 a gallon this week.(THANK GOD!). Am I missing something?

Historical Gas Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

Switch the view to 8 years and tell me how prices are so different now than during the Bush administration.

10. #10 1badbruce, Jan 6, 2013

I agree that the US could be energy independant with green energy , but in how many decades? The government should fund research. They sure as hell can throw away enough of our tax dollars overseas to countries who are sworn to overthrow us.

Meanwhile we send our oil dollars overseas which are returned back to us in the form of terrorism & the expansion of islam.
    With the proven energy reserves we have underground we could be on the road to that energy freedom tomorrow & be energy independant within 10 years, until such time that other forms are viable.

Wind: not reliable & I don't believe that the energy can be stored at this time.
    Solar: Better but not always reliable.
    Over 0bama's next term due to his shutting down America's coal industry which comprises approx. 25% of energy that America uses. With nothing to replace it be prepared for rolling blackouts and energy prices that will double & triple.
    Who's going to be affected by that? You & me & the poor will be harmed as usual.
    The rich won't bat an eye.

11. #11 1badbruce, Jan 6, 2013

First of all were not talking about Bush, but 0bama & his first term.

The price of gas locally went from $2 per gal. when 0bama took office to $4.50 las year. Now it's about $3.60.
    While currently it's not doubled it did double in his first term.

12. #12 Raoul Duke II, Jan 6, 2013
    No, we're not talking Bush. I'm not a blame Busher or a Bush did it! guy but that's pretty misleading. Oil prices are rising. Period. And the sudden drop right before Obama went in office was just that. A sudden, unsustainable drop.

Oil prices were around $150 and within a month dropped to $30 a barrel, so people bought oil again. It was a bubble. The bubble burst. Now people are blowing it again. When oil reaches those prices again, you're going to see the same mass sell off of it.

Even at the time, economists and investors were saying gas wouldn't stay that low and it would rise back up to those prices again. It was an over-correction in the market. The major investors all sold off at the same time and banked in. Then they turned around and bought it back when it was low.

It's no secret oil trading plays the biggest part in gas prices.

I guess just blindly looking at two numbers isolated from all the facts, you could say gas doubled under Obama. But that's bullshit.

13. #13 1badbruce, Jan 6, 2013

So 0bamas shutting down all oil production in the Gulf of Mexico because of the piss poor saftey record of one company had no effect on oil prices? Yeah right.

Call it bullshit or not his energy policies are harming Americans. Plain & simple.
    And are going to continue to do so.