The Four Horsemen: Dawkins, Dennet, Harris, Hitchens - A roundtable discussion

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by TheRiz, Dec 17, 2007.

1. A roundtable discussion with some of the greatest minds in secularism and atheism today.

Have a drink with them and enjoy 2 hours of excellent conversation:

The Four Horsemen

2. Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I will watch it tomorrow when I have some time, and possibly comment then. :)

3. Wow nice find indeed. I liked Hitchens point that it's offensive to suggest that without religion we shouldn't know right from wrong and such. Do you really need a threatening fairy tale to make you act with dignity? If so, that's hardly noble.

I like what Harris had to say about how rational minds operate by not being offended when proving wrong, not if at what they're trying to get at is truth. If you even try to explain to someone with faith why their thinking is absurd, they go off the deep end. Instead of being offended that someone has proven them wrong, they should accept and embrace reality. Pursue truth, not fairy tales.

I'll def finish watching this later. :)

4. Exactly. The pursuit of truth is the most important thing these guys have in common.

5. Great Video. Liked the setting. Since Hitchens was smoking like a chimney, I'm guessing it was shot at his home :D I'm just left with one question. What the hell was Harris drinking? Hitchens and his whisky did not come as a surprise. I'd think Dawkins would go the same route, or at least have a nice Brandy, but no. Together with Dennet he had some Martini or G&T. Dubious, but still acceptable. But Harris? To me it looked like he only drank water. Is he one of those awfull temperance people? He's not a veggie as well?

Never trust a veggie my Grandfather told me. If you can't trust them to eat well, how can you trust them to think well he said :p

6. I figured this would be a good place to ask... what book would you recommend as an interesting introduction to atheism? I know Dawkins has a few but I haven't even heard of those other guys.

7. Hitchens wrote a well reputed book called God is NOT Great. I've really heard good things about it.

8. haha, nice, i just watched that recently too. synch! :D

some comments irked me, but these guys always redeemed and vindicated themselves with later comments that made it easy to forgive their arrogance or generalisations.

still couldnt help but think they were.... not so much throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but more arguing against their concepts of what they are arguing against, and making sure their concepts of what they are arguing against were easy to argue against.

its much easier to praise a rational mind than one accepting some prepackage doctrine, philosophy and/or dogma.