The First Global Warming Refugees

Discussion in 'General' started by TheCruz831, Aug 29, 2014.

1. http://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2014/04/06/first-official-climate-change-refugees-evacuate-their-island-homes-for-good/
    The time has come. It came several months ago, actually, and I had no idea. It's crazy that this isn't on cnn or anything. The carteret islands were evacuated due to the sea level rise. There have since been several islands evacuated too. The president of the island nation kiribati has been speaking out against industrialized nations for a long time. He now is forced to buy ~5000 acres of land in taiwan or somewhere.
    More and more polar bears and other animals drown searching for land every year.
    This is shocking. We really need to work on this. If someone leaves a light on or litters, let them know what's up. We can't stop it, but we can try to slow it, because at the rate it's going, many islands and coastal cities, especially in places like Florida, will be gone in my lifetime.

"She was living in a single room with three other individuals. One of them was a male and the other two, well the other two were female. God only knows what they were up to in there. And furthermore, Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that all four of them habitually smoked marihuana cigarettes..... REEFERS"

2. If you'd like a really good overview on how climate change and rising sea levels are affecting island nations, I would recommend watching The Island President. Here's a link to the trailer.

I find the whole issue very discouraging. Unfortunately we live in a society that, because of its very structure, will never use the precautionary principle. Governments -- decision makers -- will never adopt or agree to regulations that threaten the current economy. At least not until the changing environment starts affecting their pay cheques. By then it'll likely be too late. Hell, it's already too late.

You shouldn't be surprised it's not on CNN. They latch onto a benign subject and talk about it exclusively for weeks. Like Trayvon Martin or the missing Malaysian flight. 

4. How much is it expected to rise once the glaciers melt?

5. I don't care how far below water their islands get. Send them back.