The Final Flush Theory

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by For A Better LifE, Nov 22, 2013.

1. I don't understand where the nutrients go when you do the final flush. Do they off gas?
    For instance, when trees drop their leaves in fall, they draw out as much nutrients as they can from the leaves and move it to more critical areas. Isn't that sort of what our plants do during final flush?

Phosphorous: flammable || reactive
    Potassium : flammable || reactive
    Magnesium: flammable || reactive
    Calcium: nonflammable || reactive (with oxygen and then flammable)
    Zinc: nonflammable || reactive
    Iron: nonflammable || reactive (oxidation) 
    Sulphur: flammable || reactive
    Manganese: nonflammable || reactive (oxidation)
    Boron: flammable || reactive (oxidation)
    Copper: nonflammable || inert  (Mildly Toxic)
    Molybdenum: flammable || reactive (Highly Toxic)
    Nickel: flammable || inert (Toxic)
    Nitrogen: nonflammable || inert

Also, as N is nonflammable and non reactive, does it even matter if it's flushed?
    It shouldn't do anything when you smoke it anyway.

2. Following this, always wondered the same.

3. Nitrogen is not in its pure form in the plant. It's present as various nitrates and amides which are definitely not inert.
    As to where the nutrients go, the plant simply uses them up mostly.

4. it goes to the roots in deciduous trees but as marijuana is annual I don't see the point in that. I guess it goes to the bud. you can't take any out of the plant, just stop them from taking in more

5. The plant absorbs nutes like food. So when you flush, it washes chemical nutes out of soil, and gives plant "clean water" to drink and fill up and take place of the chemical nutes.
    They get absorbed by a plant like a child absorbs food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. I feed plant....plant make me happy

Rinse and repeat!!

Never Grow It Alone!!

7. #7 jerry111165, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
    When trees drop their leaves in the fall this is due to "Plant Senescence" which appears to be due to hormonal activity in the plant - Cytokinins, Auxins, Gibberellins et al. It's not as simple as nutrients moving around.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_senescence

The ONLY effect that flushing provides is to remove chemical salts from the grow medium; (if you use chemical fertilizers) - it does not in any way remove anything from the plant itself. Once "nutrients" (elements) have been taken in by a plant and stored in its leaves/stalks they are there to stay and are part of the physical plant.

Why is it that only pot growers are led to believe this myth? Why don't food farmers flush their plants?

Here's another good one - "flushing agents"... Lol

Cripes.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, if you use chemical fertilizers to remove the leftovers salts from your medium; I just see too many folks thinking that they're removing chemicals from the plants themselves.

J

8. Wait, this thread just got me all sorts of "WTF's"
    So we don't have to flush.. And now I'm thinking about it.... Do farmers flush? All this info is making a lot of sense.. So no flush is needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. No one thinks they are removing nutrients from the plant itself, they have already been used up and cannot be removed. What flushing does is remove nutes that would be otherwise available to the plant so the plant takes stored energy often in the form of chlorophyll and moves it to other parts of the plant. It's believed that its the chlorophyll or perhaps another chemical that reacts the same way that causes undesirable taste.

Smoking pale to white bud for me is the sweetest smoothest smoke. Dark green areas are acrid and sharp

10. Lots of things aren't needed but it doesn't make them worthless. When you say farmers, what are you talking about? Marijuana farmers? Because if your talking about vegetable farmers, well, we don't smoke vegetables do we?

11. That's a good point right there!

If you haven't flushed then you know what it tastes like...yuck. It's just removing the bulk of nutes, can't even get rid of them all.

There are a lot of assumptions and questions I have about flushing myself:

Does it matter if you flush with PH balanced water?

I believe that flushing agents only raise the PH level to a point where the plant gets nutrient lockout. Or I could be confusing other facts about PH.

What is the right kind of flushing schedule? 3x the amount of water vs soil over the course of a week? Less? More?

I've flushed for like almost 10 days before and still tasted crap. Meanwhile my commercial counterparts are barely flushing over the course of 6 days and there medicine tastes clean almost right after drying. Strange. Does the transfer of chlorophyll really effect the taste and if so, how do you stop it from moving around the plant during flushing? lol I feel like an idiot asking these questions! hehe

Spank That Leaf!!

12. Sorry, I simply couldn't help myself... Lol

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-medical-marijuana-growing/1260687-roots-organic-vs-fox-farm.html/page-2

"Dude.. I've been working in grow rooms and providing my family with great cannabis for years and I've even been a cannabis consultant. Ive talked to hundreds of personal and commercial growers on exactly what works and what doesnt. I've worked with some big names in the industry. And I've seen thousands of watts pushing plants to their fullest potential. I have a 110% clone success rate, and never have issues I can't solve. I don't even need to ask anyone any questions on this site."

Hehe

J

13. I know dude.. I don't need to ask questions! lol

That doesn't mean I don't like talking about cannabis and seeing what others have to say.

People have good opinions on here, and I never said I was above them..I just don't need them like a desperate beginner fighting to save his crop. I'm on this site cuz I love cannabis and I like talking to people.

Sometimes you have to ask dumb questions to provoke multiple opinions, otherwise no one wants to join in... Just the trolls! lol

It's just habit on my part, if you were trying to prove a point. Hehe

So how do you do your flushing?

Maybe I'm not doing mine right, you never know!

Spank That Leaf!!

14. Yes I was talking about Vegetable farmers.
    And isn't ingestion... Ingestion? No matter how you ingest it. How is smoking anymore harmful then orally consuming? But what I want to know.. From those who have grown for awhile now, can u really taste the difference if you don't flush? I want answers from those who have a few under their belts.

15. For what it's worth I run organic soil so don't flush.

Again - for what it's worth.

J

16. I've honestly never not flushed. So I will consider it for sure with this small organic run I'm doing now, to not flush.

Can anyone else confirm that flushing organic soil isn't necessary?

I'm excited.. I'm loving life if I find that I don't need to flush anymore.

I have no doubt at this point that growing in just coco with hydro (like I've been doing in the past) needs to be flushed for sure.

Does anyone have an opinion on that?

Spank That Leaf!!

17. I absolutely taste a difference. But I'm mostly outdoor, however i water with pure well water for last 2 weeks before harvest. I purposely didn't flush one of my smaller trees (9-10ft) and I could pick her buds out of a jar of ALL my other plants. 100%

18. Can y'all elaborate on your mediums and food? I want to grow organic next and would like an outline.

19. #19 loopster, Nov 23, 2013
    A plant that has been flushed and a plant that is chopped without I feel are two different aromas and tastes of course.Then when complete organics are used the aroma of the plant becomes little stronger and the smoke is much more mellow, smooth, and flavorful If it was organic there is no need to flush as there isn't a chemical salt build up that plant just pulls what it needs from the ground and that's that And to answer your guys questions about farmers not flushing THEY SHOULD but because of the late 1900s the goverment wanted more food for little plants So they created these fertilizers which we have been consuming for decades.This fertilizers carry all sorts of unwanted harmful chemicals. MOST of which are radioactive all the way to the dinner table Thus we see cancerous food problems Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. #20 loopster, Nov 23, 2013
    Double post