The fans ruined this movie for me...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by BongBreaker6, Jul 28, 2011.

1. I was thinking about that movie Napoleon Dynamite just now and I was remembering how I thought it was a pretty good movie the first time I saw it, but then all those annoying drunk girls (the ones I didn't want to sleep with) kept quoting it and it became the most annoying movie ever...

Anyone else like a movie at first, but then started to hate it because of its popularity? I'm not one to hate on popular movies (I love Star Wars, Godfather, Shawshank, etc.), but the fans of this mild comedy really made it get old quick.

Which movie did the fans cause your opinion to shift from "I liked that movie" to "Man, that movie is so annoying"?

2. Man, I don't give a shit about fans.
    I like what I like because of nobody but me.

3. #3 devilzlettuce, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    /thread lol

4. I like things because I like them, but other people can make me dislike something by constantly quoting it and doing impressions of the main characters. Just like how you can like a song before it becomes overplayed and eventually you hate that song, it's the same with movies. Why bother coming into the thread if it doesn't apply to you?

Yeah, you're cool. Why bother coming into the thread if it doesn't apply to you? Maybe there are some people who have similar feelings. Don't be such a douchebag troll.

5. Alright, well in that case, I hate people who quote monty python and the holy grail too much.
    still love the movie though :rolleyes:

6. Yeah, they ruined the Holy Grail for me before I even saw it...though I did think Spamalot was hilarious when I saw it in Vegas.

The Big Lebowski is another one which I liked (didn't love) when I first saw it, but got so sick of my roommate and his buddies constantly quoting it completely out of context.

7. #7 Orthanc, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
    Agreed.

By the way, Big Lebowski is one of my favorite movies of all time. And one of my favorite quotes from that movie is a largely unknown quote from Walter (John Goodman)..."Where as what we have here? A bunch of fig-eaters wearing towels on their heads trying to find reverse in a Soviet Tank. Not a worthy adversary."

8. I am a huge movie addict, a bit more so than I should let on in fear of how big of a nerd on movies I truly am. The only movies I consider that fans ruin for me are all of the huge blown up overly popular movies that everyone talks about. Typically, when a movie has this much of a following they turn out to be horrible films. Avatar, imo, is one of them. Everyone was so blown away by the visual effects and stunned by them that they lost sight of the plot and that, well, it's been done before. I couldn't even finish the film. Now it doesn't always turn out like this. Many movies that are in the same rank of popularity and over advertising do indeed turn out to be good. I watched Fight Club for the first time a year or two back and it blew me away. Same with The Dark Knight. It tends to go both ways for me. If anything the fans ruin it for me only because of my stubbornness and I miss the opportunity to watch a great film when it comes out in theaters. I'm weird, I know.

9. Eh, it does piss me off when people constantly quote movies, but it doesn't deter them from me.

10. but... Pocahontas in HD!

11. napolean dynamite is my top 3 least favorite movies.

12. Over dramatic much?

13. what are the other 2 and are they in any particular order?

14. #14 Tweker, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
    One movie comes to my mind and thats "The Prestige". When I saw the movie The Illusionist for the first time, I told my friend how blown away I was at the end of the movie. They all said I should watch The Prestige, that I would be even more blown away.

When I finaly saw it, for some reason I wasnt blown away at all. I knew there was gonna be a big twist or something. Also, Illusionist suprised me and I was expecting alot from The Prestige because of all the hype.

15. I agree with the OP wholeheartedly. I generally don't care what people think but when mindless idiots RAVE about the not bad movie it just fucks it up. Napoleon Dynamite totally did that for me, I watched it and thought it was ok, kinda funny but super dumb and people went on and on about this movie for what seemed like a year... Totally ruined the film for me.

16. The Hangover, all the kids at my high school would walk around quoting this movie, drove me nuts. Makes me happy I graduated.

17. step brothers.