The Existential Freedom of Rock n' Roll

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Sam_Spade, Mar 1, 2012.

1. In 1885, in Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:

"...one must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star."

I could not agree more. I don't wish to insist on the truth of any premises, but to hear where about your experiences.

Detachment from materialism, withdrawing socially, reflection and contemplation have some powerful potential. But what of passion, power, strength, joy and pain?

2. I like to think of them as my playground for inspiration.

3. Do you think the inverse is true? Is inspiration antithetical to detatchment?

4. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkA6zugNMQ]Bill Hicks - Play From Your Fucking Heart - YouTube[/ame]

5. In my opinion, yes.

Detachment (from the self) means it came from an external source. There is none of your influence on it. This detachment can really only consist of replication. Being attached to yourself means you're throwing your own influence into it, your unique perspective.

However, I think my use of detachment assumes the detaching from one's self, and attaching to another's. Because if you're completely detached from yourself, then where does the creativity come from? Who is creating it?

Maybe detachment is the inspiration for self-exploration...?

6. #6 DeadRock, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
    Not necessarily. I feel it comes more from a change of condition of the mind, which it is constantly going through. In a sense perhaps we are always receiving inspiration, and detachment is a method for wiping the slate of preconception and viewing it with as clean a perspective as possible.

Hence why emotions, as this discussion began on, offer alternate perspectives. Through the experience of joy, we perceive this 'inspiration' in a joyful manner, for example; but the same could be said for any other emotion. To me they are lenses that alter what we see/feel in an eternal sense.

Inspiration I feel could also come when all of this is cast aside and we are 'truly' detached, if there is such a thing. Perhaps detachment isn't actually that, but more the loss of preconceptions pertaining to the ego. However, I feel it becomes increasingly difficult to 'capture' this inspiration from a detached state, because the further you are detached the less you have to related that idea around, and instead it becomes an idea possessing our being rather than our mind. We feel and become the idea and/or inspiration, but because of our detached nature it has little or no effect on our detached mind, simply because it is out of reach at the moment.

tl;dr: I think inspiration received in a detached state results in the purest feeling of that inspiration. However, inspiration received while NOT detached gives us multiple points of view to relate it to our already existing ideas and beliefs, and use it in a more egotistical, life-living scenario.

Hopefully all of that makes sense.