The End of the Timber Industry

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Eric_Fortis, May 8, 2011.

1. #1 Eric_Fortis, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011
    Hello blades, how's it going?

Anyway, I've had this idea. As most of us know, Hearst and Anslinger worked together to smear cannabis so they could make bank on timber (for newspaper), albeit, that wasn't their only reason. As a result of this, it also blazed the path towards timber being used in the place of hemp for... everything else. It was made illegal, after all.

Now on to my main point: when it is made legal, as we know it eventually will be, what will happen to the timber/paper industry? Of course, with a cheaper, faster, stronger product as an alternative to timber, hemp will un-doubtfully replace timber forever and foremost. Think of the jobs it would impact. What do you think?

Also, ponder this: I live in a paper-mill town. Everyday logs go to the mill and are made into paper. The facility spans a distance of two miles, containing three different logging/paper companies, containing sheer factory alone. Out of everyone employed in town, 30-40% are employed by the mill. If those factories disappeared overnight, my town would suffer. What do you think?

2. your town would new to innovate new job resources.. IE, growing mofuckin HEMP son.. turn those wood mills into HEMP mills

3. You can't accredit marijuana being illegal to just the timber industry. There was a tremendous amount of racism and stereotype involved.

Also, hemp isn't illegal. It's used for a very large amount of consumer products and it's legal to grow it for the purpose of producing those products. Hemp is a very poor material for constructing buildings compared to timber. The various uses of timber are far different than the uses of hemp. Hemp is mostly used for textiles and food. Timber is mostly used for construction and paper. I don't think that hemp would replace timber at all, for those reasons.

Because hemp is already legal, the legalization of marijuana wouldn't really have any effect on the timber industry.

4. #4 Eric_Fortis, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    In America? No, hemp production is not legal. It has to be imported.

5. Whoops, you're right there. I just assumed it was legal because you see so many hemp products around. Although the industry isn't immediate in America you can still purchase hemp products all over. So I think any effect it would have on the timber industry would have occurred by now.

I don't see why hemp production is illegal here. It would be bred not for it's psychoactive uses, rather for it's physical qualities. If it's grown for those reasons, it shouldn't be considered a controlled substance.

6. HEMP is illegal here because of the timber/newspaper industry.. UNFORTUNATELY those geniuses knew that if they tried to make HEMP illegal the country would have none of that.. SO they lumped HEMP in there with MARIJUANA and said let's make marijuana illegal, at the same time making hemp illegal in the shadows.. they used racism and stereotyping to make marijuana illegal...

the reason hemp hasn't taken over the timber industry even though hemp products are legal here, is because not many people KNOW about hemp/ hemp products.. hemp lotion is probably the most popular product.. what will really effect the timber industry, is being able to harvest, manufacture, process, and distribute hemp domestically. not through importation of a select number of products..

hemp can and will be used, to make anything petroleum oil can be made into, ie plastics, car parts, oil to run your car, oil to run your housing appliances etc etc.. make your housing appliances

7. Why hasn't hemp replaced the timber industry in places like the European Union and Canada, where it is legal to grow?

8. textiles, oils, and papers yes. but timber? i cant see 2x4x10 board of hemp being used to frame a house.

9. they have hemp concreat, buti dont thiknk thats a wide spread alternative, im positive they could also make particle board out of hemp. i mean normal particle board it just sawdust and glue.

10. If you guys didn't know, the majority of our country's timber comes from overseas now anyways. It probably costs more to make paper on trees now than ever, since the transporting of the timber from Asia then to western ports and across the country is not cheap. That kinda explains my theory for the recent surge in mj legalization campaigns; we are quickly running out of natural resources and it's not like trees can be planted faster than a field of hemp. One summer and you have a fresh new batch, or even go the route of indoor bud and it's all year long. Lumber is a struggling industry, look around your town for a regular old lumber yard. Within the last decade the majority have closed as big box stores monopolize the market with lower costs, but now they have it cornered they can begin to charge whatever they please. Look forward to more expensive homes in the future guys, thanks hearst you greedy sob. If we would have used hemp for paper, textiles, clothes, and other goods except maybe just raw timber, we would be much better off.

He truly was the Donald Trump of his generation, i know too much amount the man since i live 20 minutes from his MASSIVE castle :mad:.

11. it wouldn't hurt to steal methods from europeans either.. i believe it's sweden.. but for every tree they bring down, that HAVE TO put a new seed down and grow a new tree.. though they take down millions of trees a year, they actually have more trees in their country today then they did when their timber industry started

12. You can't frame a house with particle board if you want it to stand. But the point is still valid, the timber industry would become entirely dependent on the housing industry (or building industry in general) and that wouldn't sustain it at its current size.

13. So about the only things Timber will be used for in the future, when hemp is legalized (at least from my perception), is furniture and houses. But, with the housing market slowly declining (you know what I mean, think of all the "For Sale" signs popping up in front of houses these days). If we can't sell the houses we already have, then all we're doing is wasting money by building new houses, which is something companies don't like to do (waste money). It's hard to sell something when there is little to no market for it.

14. ^Exactly! And even the furniture industry could make use of hemp if it were in particle board form. Just think about all the crap from places like Ikea that's 100% particle board.

And what about other industries, like cotton?

15. Still, particleboard isn't a suitable building material for a house, and neither is plastic for that matter. In fact, just to be nit-picky, it actually said it could withstand 10 times the impact without denting... The same could be said of rubber, for example.

That's pretty cool though, hemp-based plastic is one more nail in petroleum's (eventual) coffin I guess. Good link, saved :)

16. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZbYsMsMW4Q]YouTube - Hempcrete House - Asheville, NC[/ame]
    :bongin:

17. I don't think anyone said particle board was an alternative material forhouses, I listed it because particle board is used for all kinds of cheap craplike desks, cabinets and other low end furnishings, which currently uses wood, wastewood from processing but still wood.

Also the hempcrete to me looks like glorified particle board. Just with limeinstead of glue.

18. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LTLqSDEhsM&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Hemp walls in Nauhaus prototype, Asheville, NC[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcctSvVFheA&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Building with Hemp Part 1/2[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6eMdqJbQI4&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Building With Hemp Part 2/2[/ame]

thers a lot more on youtube but its mostly the same info just different people saying it.

19. Sorry, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I got a little off track but my point was just that we'll probably continue to use timber to build houses for a long time, even if we don't use it for anything else. But with the housing market the way it is, that might crash the timber industry entirely and force us to use other materials (like hempcrete!) when we do start building again.