The End of Philosophy

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Deutschbag, Apr 8, 2009.

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/opinion/07Brooks.html?_r=1

2. Philosophy has no end.

3. As long as there is variation within the universe there will be debate as to the nature of it. Philosophy won't end until this universe ceases to exist or at least ceases to exist as it does now.

That article seems to use the word philosophy as a synonym for ethics. If all a person has to do to lead a virtuous life is to follow what you "just know" intuitively based on evolutionary principles, then why have we evolved the capability to question our intuition?

I don't know why but it just seems like a cop out answer to an unanswerable question. If the answer to living life is to just go with what you want to do intuitively without rationalizing it, then how do you discount the fact that you intuitively felt the need to question your intuition in the first place?

Even if it is a "nice thing" that humans tend to act cooperatively, it doesn't address the fundamental questions that I think philosophy seeks to address.

4. Brooks seems to simply reiterate Hume's idea that our sentiments, not our reasoning, shape "our" morality. Then he adds how were merely animals learning and progressing through evolutionary changes, even attributing such traits as altruism and kindness to that process. The most confusing part of this article is how it’s possible that we can be conscious of how we’re acting in a biological and evolutionary level, isn’t that a philosophical inquiry. I agree with Cairo, it seems like a total cop out, and I don’t understand how this leads to the end of philosophy. This doesn’t explain how or why Kant’s conception of morality is wrong.

5. That was a really great article! I always thought like that too, but it's interesting to see how evolution has not only shaped physical characteristics and basic reflexes, but something as deep as morals. This world just keeps getting more and more interesting.