the ego

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by dangle, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yah so what is it? i keep hearing people talking about it like killing it makes them a martyr. yo, its part of you right? you cabt kill part of you and not the whole thing unless your cancer. which you arent so dont be a smart ass. although humans do seem to be a bit like cancer on earth, but still.

thinka bout it though. ego = self. egotistic = selfish, right? well, thats what my dictionary says. kill your selfishness, not your ego.

2. You're welcome :) hopefully that should be of some insight, there's some pretty thought-provoking passages in that book.

3. uh, what is a manifestation?

4. A manifestation can be considered the product or result. In the case of the self versus the ego, distinguishing the two is very difficult because the ego inherently tends to perceive possession... "I", "me", "my"; it's a very hard concept to let go of the "you" because it doesn't imply an owner; a creator of sorts... or an original source ;)

And, another reason as to why it's so hard is because the line between the egoless self and the selfless ego are very blurry.

5. so since god isnt my own, he falls into the realm of my self?

man, ive got to- well just excuse me or whatever. i just rolled a blunt with some hindi kush and pineapple kush... finally something good at the club. my back is hurting the shit out of my stomach.

6. You guys are thinking about this too much.

You guys should read Sigmund Freud's "The Ego and the Id"
    The Ego and the Id

The Id: What we are born with, these are our basic survival instincts.
    The Ego: The part of us that tries to satisfy the Id in a relistic way (Mediates the Id and Superego)
    The Superego: The part of us that wants to be perfect in the eyes of todays society.

The Ego should be the strongest of the three, if either the Id, or Superego are stronger, the person is said to have neurotic behaviour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.