The Effects of Marijuana on Driving Abilities

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ashTrasher, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Press Release - The Effects of Marijuana on Driving Abilities
    December 29, 2010

Certainly, marijuana affects an individual's responses and technical skills as a driver. When under the influence of pot, an individual's perception of time and speed are altered, attentiveness is reduced and motor coordination is affected. The New York Times notes that researchers G. Berghaus and B. Guo concluded that pot impairs "every performance area that can reasonably be connected with safe driving of a vehicle."

However, despite these findings, it is not clear that those who drive under the influence of marijuana are significantly more dangerous than those driving sober. In controlled laboratory experiments, drivers who are stoned generally perform almost as well as those who are sober.

How can this be? It may be that those under the influence of pot recognize their impairments and adopt behaviors to compensate. For example, stoned drivers may drive more slowly than their sober counterparts and may maintain a greater following distance, thereby ensuring that they have more time to respond in the event of a sudden stop.

All emphasis is mine. It shouldn't take a study to discover those results, but at least it's progress!

2. Someone should do a side by side study, driving under the influence of Marijuana vs talking on a cell phone. Although i have a suspicion that some people can do it good, others cant.

3. Depends how you are, I know drivers who aren't aware of what's going on around them at all times, and the opposite.

4. most of time is really easy driving under the influence of marijuana, everything is more aware in front of you and you notice alot more things around you,
    but my hypnotics well driving and talking on cell phone is really unsafe because you get alot more destructive not paying attention on the road leads to accidence.

5. I feel this is how I drive. I usually like to move fast but when im stoned or blazing and driving I do drive at a slower pace. Sometimes im so stoned i think 45-50 mph is to fast!

6. It's fascinating how all the things people give as reasons for marijuana being dangerous have been disproved. Oh it impairs your driving - no it doesn't. Well, it causes cancer - theoretically, it should, but not a single case of cancer has been linked to marijuana usage. It makes you stupid - actually, it makes you smarter. The list goes on and on. This is why the US government will only give funding to organizations that are researching the negative aspects of cannabis.

7. the study also depends on the person. I can drive wayyyy better then my brother stoned then my brother can drive sober