The effects of marijuana on diabetes

Discussion in 'General' started by RandleStoner, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Hello fellow blades. I recently got caught and had to talk to a probation officer today. I got 32 hours of community service and I have to write an essay. I think I got off pretty easy. Anyways, for the essay I have to write 3 pages on the effects of marijuana on diabetes. I have been a type one diabetic for about 7 years. I know it's not nice to bash on weed, but I have to write about any negative effects. Any ideas? Sources? I know for a fact it lowers blood sugar. And I can probably write about how munchies effect it, but I need some more help. Thanks

2. It makes you eat, and if you forget your insulin you die.

3. Lol I need something that actually is intelligent

4. waitwaitwait, marijuana has negative side affects?

5. If you have to bash weed, that's going to be pretty hard.

6. To be honest, if it has to be a negative report, you're going to have to lie your butt off. :)

Try googling 'cannabis diabetes', most (not all, but most) of the results are positive, including reports from both physicians and patients.

7. So their point is to make you lie?

I would put in a few of the negative effects such as; may cause a shortness of breath, contains some carcinogenics, etc. Than state the truth of the matter.
    Perhaps preface with " I was amazed during my research about the misconseption we all have and actually found some amazing studies". :smoke:

8. Well I kinda wanna kiss this guys ass so I'm on his good side. It sucks but I have to do it. I have found a few things but they are good things lol. It can lower blood sugar up to 50 points. It can be used for retinal therapy.

9. Him: WTF is this?
    You: I was scared to lie to you. :smoke:

10. Hon, you should've looked at post # 48 in my List. I'll copy and paste it to save you the "trip"-

T1DBase: update 2011, organization and presentation of large-scale data sets for type 1 diabetes research.T1DBase: update 2011, organization and presentation of large-scale data sets for type 1 diabetes research

OK, now for the translation- wish it were better news! [Frown]

Objective- To keep glucose balance you need your insulin producing beta cells to be working right. Insulin makes the beta cells reproduce by giving off hormones. Turning the CB1 receptors on (agonist) or blocking them (antagonist) influences how insulin is used in insulin-sensitive tissues. We are not sure what is happening. We are trying to find out if endocannabinoids in the Islets regulate beta cell reproduction, and if they affect the way the body handles insulin.

Research- We measured endocannabinoid production in mouse and human beta cells in test tubes after feeding the cells. We looked at human and mouse beta cells of various types, including “CB1 knock out” mice that have no CB1 receptors, to see if they had functioning endocannabinoid systems. We checked if the endocannabinoid system influenced the way beta cells work by regulating insulin action- we got some interesting results fiddling around with the endocannabinoid system in diabetic mice.

Results- Endocannabinoids are made in beta cells, which also have CB1 receptors that react when activated by a CB1 agonist. Dosing the mice with CB1 antagonists (blockers), or using those CB1 deficient mice lead to enhanced insulin receptor signaling and more beta cells. Blocking the CB1 receptors lowers the blood sugar, increases beta cells and increases Insulin receptor signaling in beta cells. Activation of CB1 receptors slows normal beta cell functions.

Conclusions- This study shows a direct link between the CB1 receptors and Insulin receptor signaling and how it affects beta cell reproduction and how blocking the CB1 receptors may lead to more beta cells that work better.

So here is the bad news. THC is not good for type 1 diabetes according to this study. However, since THC (CB1) and CBD (CB2 & CB3) often have opposing actions, I would look for CB2 &3 type 1 diabetes studies. Activating CB2 & 3 receptors may possibly increase the number of beta cells just like blocking the CB1s do! (CB3 is also known as GPR55)

Although THC can lessen the pain of diabetic neuropathy, CBD is actually much better for diabetics than THC! And then you can go into the benefits of CBD on diabetes-

Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy (news - 2010)
    Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy - NORML

Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (news - 2010)
    MediGardens: March 2010: Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (University of Calgary; Alberta, Canada)

Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts (news - 2010)
    Medical News: Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts - in Lab Notes, Lab Notes from MedPage Today

Cannabidiol Attenuates Cardiac Dysfunction, Oxidative Stress, Fibrosis, and Inflammatory and Cell Death Signaling Pathways in Diabetic Cardiomyopathy (full - 2010) http://www.natap.org/2010/newsUpdates/marijuana.pdf

Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy (news - 2010)
    Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy - NORML

Cannabidiol protects retinal neurons by preserving glutamine synthetase activity in diabetes. (full - 2010) Cannabidiol protects retinal neurons by preserving glutamine synthetase activity in diabetes

Cannabidiol As a Putative Novel Therapy for Diabetic Retinopathy: A Postulated Mechanism of Action as an Entry Point for Biomarker-Guided Clinical Development. (full - 2009) Cannabidiol As a Putative Novel Therapy for Diabetic Retinopathy: A Postulated Mechanism of Action as an Entry Point for Biomarker-Guided Clinical Development

Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice (full - 2007)
    http://safeaccess.ca/research/pdf/WeissCBD_ArrestsDiabetesNeuropharmacology2007.pdf

Cannabidiol, a marijuana compound, may help stop diabetic retinopathy (news – 2006)
    Cannabidiol, a marijuana compound, may help stop diabetic retinopathy

Marijuana Compound Offers Hope In Diabetic Retinopathy Prevention (news – 2006)
    Marijuana Compound Offers Hope In Diabetic Retinopathy Prevention ( A compound in marijuana has been found ...)

Cannabidiol reduces the development of diabetes in an animal study
    (news - 2006) International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Getting Eye On Cannabinoids (news - 2006)
    Getting Eye On Cannabinoids: The Hempire - [cannabis, britain]

Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics (news - 2006)
    Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics: The Hempire - [cannabis, london]

Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol in Experimental Diabetes
    (full - 2006) Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol in Experimental Diabetes

Hope that helps!