The Education of the Candidates

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tfunkadelic, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Obama:
    Occidental College - Two years.
    Columbia University - B.A. political science with a specialization in international relations.
    Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

Biden:
    University of Delaware - B.A. in history and B.A. in political science.
    Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

McCain:
    United States Naval Academy - Class rank 894 of 899

Palin:
    Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester
    North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study
    University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism
    Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester
    University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in journalism

hahahaha Obama is such an elitist look how much better he did in school than Palin and Mccain, two Mavericks who know how to underachieve the American way!

2. Its funny, the media would never highlight this, it would turn people away from obama. haha crazy shit

3. So your saying all of us who have degrees from state schools and the like are not qualified because we did not attend an ivy league school?

We're all just underachievers.....bite my ass!

4. Who better to represent the people then someone who's education represents a majority of them?

5. #5 tfunkadelic, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
    That's not at all what I said. I didn't say anything about Ivy League schools, ha.

I was talking about how Barack Graduated near the top of his class (as well as being a great success in other respects), and how Mccain graduated 5 from the bottom of his class and Palin flunked out of/got bounced around to any school that would take her.

But I can see how it would be easier to argue against someone when you shove your words down their throat, nice try.

6. student loans maybe?

7. You guys want to politicize the raw data that shows Obama and Biden outperformed Mccain and Palin in an academic setting.

Take the name of the school out of the equation, Obama still graduated with honors, Mccain was at the bottom of his class.

8. but they probably had to work 2 or 3 jobs while obama got to sit and study all day on his lazy elitist ass!

9. #9 tfunkadelic, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
    [​IMG]

10. McCain graduated at the lower end of his class because the Naval academy teachers do not use academics as a grading scale, McCain talked out agianst his teachers on subjects which is why he scored so low.

Yes Obama was at the top of his class, but you have to understand why McCain scored so low, it wasn't because of his academic prowess.

11. Duh, Its because hes a.......Maverick!

12. I think this is a relevant comparison to make.

If you were interviewing candidates for an important executive position of a large company, wouldn't you be more inclined to hire someone who graduated near the top of his class from Columbia and Harvard over the person who ranked 5th from last at the Naval Academy? What about when it's the highest executive position in the entire nation?

And you've got to take something else into consideration. Obama majored in Political Science with a specialization in International Relations. McCain received a general Bachelor of Science degree with the same coarse load as everyone else.... no specialization in government or politics. Which one seems like a better curriculum for the presidency?

Someone mentioned that the Naval Academy does not use academic performance as a grading scale. This isn't true... the class rank is a reflection of academics, as well as conduct and leadership. McCain received such a low rank because he did poorly in math and science, and also because of his messy appearance, rebellious attitude, and problem with authority.

Maybe it's just me but I don't want an average person, or even a slightly above average person, holding the most powerful position in our government. I want excellence... someone with the proven ability to achieve great things.

I'm not saying that anyone who graduated from an Ivy League school is automatically superior to anyone who didn't. Obviously, Goerge W. Bush is an exception. But the general trend is that they tend to be more mentally competent. I would have no problem electing someone with a lesser college education if it was obvious that they were still extremely knowledgeable about government. But in McCain and Palin's case, it's not.

13. [​IMG]

Was John Kennedy not qualified to be president compared to Nixon who did much better than him in school?

14. Personally i would hire them based on how much experience they had in that particular field.

15. Fucking up things for a few years v a few decades? lol

16. is that our choice this election?

17. Yep, set your sails high this big ship is going down the shitter.

18. i'd better start stockpiling weed..

19. I think weed could be the least of your concerns soon here...In fact I think you'll want to be as sober as possible in the event things get real rough.

20. Damn it...you beat me to it! :p