The easiest way to replace the water in dwc tank

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by the123321, Feb 27, 2020.

1. I am new to growing. I am looking at the 32x32 tent with 2-3 plants in 5 gallon buckets in dwc. I am looking at planting the 2-3 plants a few weeks apart to have the perpetual harvest to where you could harvest 1 plant every 4-6 weeks for it. Then you would only have 1 large plant at a time with 1 or 2 smaller plants in the tent. Do you think that would fit in the tent on there for it?

I am looking at using the same bucket for the whole grow then use a new bucket fo the next grow for it. I have read that you need to replace the water in the bucket every week. What is the easiest way to do that? How do you do it? Do you use a pump? Is there a pump that does not sit in the bucket that has like a line in and line out with 1 line with a tube in your dwc bucket then 1 line out to the empty bucket to move the water to it. Then empty it and mix new water and nutrients in it then use the line in to that bucket then the line out to the bucket the plant is in. Is there a pump you can do that with on there for it?

2. Hate to piss on your parade, but the plants need different things at different levels in the grow.
    Unless you have very large tubs instead of buckets, you would have to have a res for each plant if they are at different cycles during flowering, and also some plants want different PH levels and PPM levels.
    That is where dirt has the upper hand.
    I just grow 4 of the same strain in a rdwc and for perpetual I have a second clone/veggin tent that does everything even kick start the flowering process until I cut. Then I move em' to the flowering tent, set the clones up in the buckets and start over.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Basically the same info in your other thread ..

4. Thanks. I may look into that for it.

5. I use a pond pump and 5 gallon bucket ,, put pond pump in DWC tank pump into 5 gallon buckets thenn carry old rdwc water out to my trees and poor old water on grown around the tree..
    Then I fill the system with one of those expandable hoses hooked to my 40 gallon RO fiberglass pressure tank .

6. Thanks. I am looking for a water transfer pump. I do not want to have to put the pump in the bucket with the plant on there for it.

8. Thanks. That looks like you put that in the bucket with the plant. I am looking for one that you do not put in the bucket though you plug in like 2 garden hoses into it 1 to the bucket you want to empty and then 1 to the bucket you want to move the water to on there for it.

9. #9 Headhunterpipes, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    20190424_083856.jpg
    OK sounds like you have a plan ,, I don't know how you plan on pluming your system ,,,
    Best of luck

10. Many (most?) dwc buckets have a small hose at the bottom for adding and removing res fluid.
    Failing that, these work pretty well.

I use larger, multi-plant reservoirs, and never do complete reservoir changes.
    Emptying out and replacing about 6-10% daily, plus daily clorox, works well.
    The res' have empty/fill tubes for that.

11. Thanks. I am looking into water transfer pumps for it. It is for the first time growing that is making me think maybe it would be easier to do coco coir for the first grow then try dwc in the future if I would like to on there for it.

12. Look at those and see if that helps.
    Like HeadHunter said, put in a small pump and drain, that is what I use in my veg tent.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Thanks for the information and the images for it. I think that I may try coco coir for the first one then may try dwc in the future if I want to on there for it.

14. You shouldn't need a transfer pump in a simple dwc setup.
    There are many pre-made systems that are very convenient.

15. Thanks. I was looking at the transfer pump to replace the water in the bucket the plant is in. I would not want to replace the bucket during the grow and instead only replace the water in the bucket every like 2 weeks if needed on there for it. I am now looking at doing the coco coir on there for it.

16. When I was doing Hydro, the best thing I found was a couple of short hoses and a drill pump:

17. Thanks. Is the drill pump easy to use without making a mess on there for it?

18. Yes, the drill pump as long as you use the rubber washers, makes water transfers easy without leaks. I no longer do hydro (I'm a no-tiller now), but when I did it was the easiest way to pull out the old water and pump in the new water. The pump is reversible.