The Dogmas of Science

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by pickledpie, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Rupert Sheldrake is a pretty cool dude, and he recently wrote a book discussing the current dogmatic paradigm of science that seems to hold some things as true, which define all other scientific inquiry being done.

I'm sure some of you will find these videos interesting, and others, well I can just imagine what others might say :)

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0waMBY3qEA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRKvvxku5So

2. there is definitely a paradigm of scientific dogma in contemporary times; we have access to technology that enables us to explore nature in depth empirically like never before. This is overshadowing the intuitive insights spiritual masters throughout history have all recognized without the need of objective data 

3. From the wiki;

Rupert Sheldrake (born 28 June 1942) is a former biochemist and plant physiologist[1][2] who gained notoriety for his subsequent writings advocating views that are widely recognized as pseudoscientific,[3][4][5] such as his hypothesis of "morphic resonance" and various parapsychological claims including that dogs are telepathic.

Honestly New Age is one of the worst things that could've happened to people. They're buying snake oil all over again and they don't even know it and it stems from a fear of their own ignorance. The worst part is watching these people condemn logic and rationality to make a quick buck, and other people just eat it up. If anyone of them applied themselves they could be scientists but instead here we are....... again.

4. What Rupert says here seems pretty legitimate to me, though I didn't listen to it all. Though some may consider his work as pseudoscientific, I still see that the things he says could be a possibility.

Just because certain things don't make sense in the current paradigm, doesn't mean they are untrue, we simply might not have a good enough idea of the concepts of science, in fact it is a certainty that we know very little of how the universe works.

5. It is by accepting that we know very little that we will discover more of what we currently do not.