The DISAGREE button should be removed

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by trojangrower, Apr 15, 2022.

?

Should the DISAGREE button be permanently removed?

1. Yes

9.1%
  2. No

77.3%
  3. Change its name to the I HATE YOU button

13.6%
  1. I've noticed a lot of grief originating from that red X disagree button. It can really infuriate members who receive this flag for no reason sometimes. I think it would be good to either replace the disagree button with a "I hate you" button, or just simply removing the function. I'm sure many use it to ward away spammers, but the propensity for abuse is just there. The end result of that button is that it starts fights and makes people feel bad, which in a way is against the EULA (#3 harassment).

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. While I don't really see issues with the button, I do like the I HATE YOU idea.
    I have about 3 or 4 people on ignore, and that solves it all for me. Its usually one of those that starts the shitfests and pissing matches anyway.
    EDIT: In before someone hits the Disagree button on your post!

• Like Like x 3
  3. #3 Deleted member 1148562, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2022
    IMO -

disagreeing is healthy to a society. It should be welcomed with open arms as it allows for discourse, intelligence gathering, and adjustments to subjective perspectives..

An 'i hate you' button doesn't foster positively constructive value or path to enlightenment to society or individuals with opposing views.

Edit:

just found this thread and thought the author had an interesting take that may outline parallels to this OP. -

its about a 4minute read -

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. the only time the disagree button seems to get abused is when members start bickering back and forth over (usually) irrelevant issues.

not to mention, who cares how many disagree clicks you get?

there are maybe 3 people on this site whos opinion actually means something to me, Couldnt care less if some random clicks disagree on my post.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. I have only gotten the disagree button pressed on my posts by some seeking beef and drama and a couple times without any explanation.

Its nice to disagree but even nicer to learn of our differences

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I don't think it's a bad thing, it just gets abused by a few select people.

In my 2.5 years here I've only seen 3 people that like to neg you back out of spite or retaliation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. that's good equanimity :)
    I was not talking about healthy disagreement. You see, I (partially) disagree with you, but I don't need the button to say so.

Maybe it should only be accessible by established members?

idk, just got into a beef about it with others. Ultimately though, I agree, its not a big deal.

• Like Like x 3
  8. I disagree!

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. I remember a couple years ago a few users were using it as a tool to spam any post they didnt agree with.

Sucks getting thousands of positive rep, and some new guy for no reason starts spamming the disagree. It has a place, but seems to get abused more often.

Seems to get used as an "I'm better than you or I know more than you" rather than just a disagreement button.

I avoid it for that reason. If I don't have a positive reaction, I won't leave a negative reaction

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. #10 Vee, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    I disagree with you but I still love you
    and look forward to your posts
    I have always been against the current FACEBOOK icon crap, it does not allow for social intercourse other than a one click 'tic' that tells other members minimal input.(handy if the reader is stoned shitless)

I've been here much longer than the 'icon crap' as a result reading my bio...left you would think indeed I'm marginally popular here at GC, however ALL the likes/dislikes received don't take into account
    the many many posts made before the icon introduction

the 400+ dislikes I have made were at spammers, ticked then reported cause I'm bad and its fun
    as like many other members, my lawyer could argue in any Ca court, that I have protected the commercial interests of GC and am due compensation as many member's are

as membership starts to fall thanks to legalization and weed becomes normal,
    we may see many sites adopting new methods to 'keep' members, this is but one

• Like Like x 3
  11. I enjoy negging spammers too :D

I think 90% of the negs I've given out are to spammers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. #12 Vee, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    You are a 'Triple Digit Anti Spammer' like me and many others ....lol

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. you know, this thread could start into a red click fest :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. I always thought the likes, dislikes, etc. were removed from our stats when threads get removed by mods. Guess not lol.

• Like Like x 1
  15. me too I was stunned
    but years back I did have a nooby jerk who plagued me with his dislikes, that was an easy fix by any mod

I have searched for the' first' mention of introducing the like system about the time I lost all my photos,
    BE WARNED UPDATES ON GC ARE RUTHLESS, expect to loose much

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Reading thru and waiting for it, it definitely has some odds stacked against it.
    However so far, I've enjoyed the read.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mostly in the politics forum I see it getting thrown around. Other places not so much but people still abuse it.

example,
    I personally don’t like the brand Mars Hydro’ because it is overhyped. Received a few disagree’s there and mostly the rest from politics. Thats why now I don’t get involved in it anymore here.

I strongly believe that it should not be removed. Like @B0st0nBoi mentioned, disagreeing is healthy whether we like it or not.
    Removing the disagree button would render the rest of the rating system useless. There is no sense in liking or showing appreciation to a post at that point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. i dont get these ratings in the first place,it be like folk think they get a discount at wal mart with them.
    seriously i dont get them.
    if you disagree or i do ,i will just come out and tell you,then we both wind up agreeing we disagree with each other, Right.
    if it is someone i have read nothing but smack from ,then i just scroll past everything they comment on,just scroll past,that simple.
    damn red cross hahaaah
    not only that but if you have some joker slamming you there is a button that say ignore,hit it before you know it you can come to the forum and have a pleasant time yaking with the homies if you dig

• Like Like x 4
  19. then wouldn't your vote be for the "I hate you" button option?
    In all my years on the net, I've never iggied anyone, well, except spammers.
    I have friends got banned here... but yea, nice find btw.

Maybe they should just toss the rating system out... that's maybe a good plan.