Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The Different grades of THC....?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by BackIITheTrap, Apr 22, 2012.

1. It is obviously a well known fact that each strain of cannabis is unique in its own way; all having their own distinct characteristics. A simple example would be the contrast between indicas and sativas. Everybody knows they result in different highs. However, This is because they are different types of plants and have different attributes. I understand this.

However, if you had 2 indica dominant strains, lets say m39 and og kush and decided to extract equal parts thc from each to make hash, would the end product be the same for both?

Meaning, if had 3 grams of pure thc powder from the m39;
    versus 3 grams of pure thc powder from the og kush;

both would require different amounts of marijuana to extract 3 grams of thc;

But which would be more potent? would their be a difference? why?
    If we can assume both bricks contain only thc, in fact the same amount, what could cause the subtle/noticeable differences?

Is there different grades/levels/degrees of thc content? Strains are graded based on genetics and growing conditions (e.g. AA, AAA, AAAA).

what of thc?

2. Cannabis has over 400 chemicals. The diference between indicas an sativas isn't a different grade of THC, it's the THC to CBD ratio. THC isn't the only chemical in weed.

The amount of THC is measured in %, the average % of THC is around 12% for dank.

3. Is thc the only active chemical in hash?
    Assuming it isnt cut with any additives

4. who would cut hash?

5. No it isn't, the only thing THC is the only thing in is marinol.

Hash is still all the same chemicals just in a concentrated form.

6. Every method ive heard of specifically states that only thc is extracted, occasionally with chlorophyl and other non-psychoactive material.

Is cbd also found in hash?

7. same people that would cut coke

8. Yes I don't know what methods you're talking about, QWISO or BHO don't extract only THC, it's not like there's some kind of magic THC only filter that you run the hash through.

9. I dont believe you.

10. So in actuality, thc along with alot of other chemicals, determine the outcome of a persons high. Meaning there is no different in thc grade/quality among varying strains, but in the amount of thc% and the amount of those other chemicals...?

11. There is not a simple answer to your question. Because:

1. A lot would determine on the genetics of each plant and how it was grown. A plant with good genetics and grown well will produce more THC.
    2. What type of hash are you referring to? There are many ways to make hash.

So, assuming that both plants are good genetics and are producing good levels of THC -

If we make any type of keif based hash (bubble hash, dry ice hash, full melt, etc) we are using the entire trichome so we should get all of the chemicals that we do when we smoke regular weed.

If we make wax hash or hash oil we need a solvent to extract the essential oils from the plant. Not all of these oils will extract evenly. THC is soluble in oil, alcohol, and many solvents so we get more of the THC concentrated this way. That is why wax hash is more potent, more THC per gram.

12. Hash made with a solvent.
    earlier i said extracted, isnt kief hash just pressed?

And If at the end of the day all that matters is numbers:
    1oz of m39 vs 5grams of ogkush.

the ounce obviously has a higher ratio of active ingredients, simply because there is more of it in comparision to 5grams.

But i have literally done this!
    I did not get high off the ounce, only buzzed.
    then i smoked 5 grams of ogkush and was stoned.

why?

how can this be explained? all marijuana contains the
    same active ingredient,s but is it possible that higher grade cannabis would mean higher grade chemicals?

13. its funny the poll asks about "pure" thc (im assuming thc can be isolated) yet everyone chose ogkush so far.

wouldnt they both result in the same effect if they are both pure and of the same amount, regardless of plant strain.

..unless there actually are different degrees of thc quality...?

14. Son, my weed's beauty is in every part of its natural self. Using the THC bare is like using any synthetic drug to me. Besides, Hash/Fresh Kief is just fine when I want a ton of THC with less volume.

15. The kind that gets you high.

16. When it was chopped could have a big effect... An early chopped plant with cloudy/clear trichs would be more of a heady high, while dark amber trichs will give more of a body high...

You could 2 different highs off of the same strain.

17. #17 Storm Crow, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
    Compounds found in Cannabis Sativa

(-)-[delta 1]-3,4-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol (most active cannabinoid)
    (-)-[delta 6]-3,4-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol
    tetrahydrocannabitriol (aka cannabitriol)
    cannabidiolic acid
    cannabidiol
    cannabinol (forms after plant dies)
    THC acids A and B (inactive unless smoked)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minor constituents:
    cannabigerol
    cannabigerolic acid
    cannabichromene
    cannabichromenic acid
    cannabicyclol (aka cannabipinol)
    cannabicyclolic acid
    cannabicitran
    cannabielsoic acids A and B
    cannabinolic acid (neutral cannabinoid)
    cannabichromanon
    cannabifuran
    dehydrocannabifuran
    2-oxo-[delta 3]-tetrahydrocannabinol
    cannabigerol monomethyl ether
    cannabidiol monomethyl ether
    cannabinol methyl ether
    propylcannabidiol (aka cannabidivarol & cannabidivarin)
    propylcannabinol (aka cannabivarol & cannabivarin)
    propyl-[delta 1]-THC (aka [delta 1]-tetrahydrocannabivarol & tetrahydrocannabivarin)
    propylcannabigerol
    propylcannabicyclol
    propylcannabichromene
    methylcannabidiol (aka cannabidiorcol)
    methylcannabinol (aka cannabiorcol)
    methyl-[delta 1]-THC (aka [delta 1]-tetrahydrocannabiorcol)
    [delta 1]-tetrahydrocannabivarolic acid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nitrogen-containing compounds:
    choline
    trigonelline
    muscarine
    piperidine
    N-(p-hydroxy-B-phenylethyl)-p-hydroxy-trans-cinnamide
    neurine
    L-proline
    L-isoleucine betaine
    hordenine
    cannabisativine (alkaloid found in the roots)

[compiled from "The Botany and Chemistry of Hallucinogens" by Schultes & Hofmann]

Now that is just a partial list- more compounds are discovered every year!

Each one of them may have a profound effect (like "THC), or a subtle effect (CBD), or no effect :)confused_2: ). Each plant has their own blend of these chemicals that will affect your high and the healing effects of your cannabis.

As the medical use of cannabis advances, the strains will be chemotyped and patented.

Cannabis - from cultivar to chemovar. (abst – 2012) Cannabis - from cultivar to chemovar. [Drug Test Anal. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Right now, we are just beginning to learn what cannabis can do. Why not click that first link in my sig and just read one news article from each category (If it doesn't have a news article, skip it- no prob! lol)

I have a whole section on the chemistry of cannabis! :D And there are a few "weird" things in the "Miscellaneous" section that might be amusing.

Keep your family's medical history in mind as you scroll through- you may find something to save your behind if you get caught! :eek:

Let's say that Alzheimer's was the cause of death for your Great-great Aunt Fanny and let's say you worry about Alzheimer's. Your cannabis use is supported by this lovely little article from WebMD, a very respectable medical site.

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's[/FONT]

THC blocks an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase, which speeds the formation of amyloid plaque in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease.

The Alzheimer's drugs Aricept and Cognex work by blocking acetylcholinesterase. When tested at double the concentration of THC, Aricept blocked plaque formation only 22% as well as THC, and Cognex blocked plaque formation only 7% as well as THC.

That means THC blocks Alzheimer's about 10 times better than Aricept! :eek: That is one EXCELLENT reason to take THC, isn't it! :rolleyes: A daily dose of a very effective acetylcholinesterase blocker, just might prevent Alzheimer's completely!

Can stoners even get Alzheimer's? :smoke:

Cannabis is good for LOT more than "just" getting high! EDUCATE YOURSELF! :yay:

Granny

18. There is no degree of quality in the active compounds found in Cannabis. Some cannabinoids prolong other cannabinoids while others shorten and intensify them. Every Hash extraction will come out differently. Even extracting them same strain or even from the same plant can be different in numerous ways.

19. Let me get this straight - you are claiming you smoked an ounce of weed at one time.

Also, if it took 5 GRAMS of weed to get you stone with the other kind, both of these strains must be crap.

20. i think op is saying If you had the same exact amount of trichomes from.the two dif buds, which would be more potent. So by that hes asking if theres dif grades of thc im pretty sure

In that case, they could be different. Depending on how mature the.thc is. You can have a bud covered in frost. But not get you high because it was pulled early and the thc couldnt mature