The Decision

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Salguod14, Jan 28, 2014.

1. #1 Salguod14, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    I am slowly approached by a dark figure. As he approaches, I am overcome by an immense feeling of hate that swells in every nerve of my body. I speak to him with confidence and anger in my voice. “What are you doing here!?" I notice that I am in a field, it is familiar to me but I do not immediately recognize it. "What do you want!?”

“I am not here, but everywhere. We have met many times and you have denounced me each time I attempt to speak with you. Now, I will speak and you will listen.”

“Why? How is it that we have met before, have I never seen your face?” I asked earnestly.

“To look into my face is to see the truth. When you finally stop talking and begin to listen you learn the truth. This is when you will understand who I truly am.”

“Why do I feel the need to flee from your presence?”

“As a human, you cannot grasp the concept of my being. I am always present. You cannot escape me for I will find you wherever you may hide. I may summon you like I have done today.”

“Why do you wish to see me?”

“I have no need for you any longer. In order for mankind to advance you must cease to exist.”

“Are you God? Why do I hate you if you are?”

“I am many things. I am God, Devil, your sister, your brother, your mother, your father, even your childhood bully.”

“How is it possible that you can be God and Satan?”

“I am everything that ever existed, I am this field in which you have quietly rested. You hate me because I have taken you from what you have always loved. I am in my most evil form, even Satan fears me. I am death.  This field is where you were conceived, but it is also where you are on the brink of death.”

As I look around I begin to notice that the field in which I have lied in for hours is fading; slowly evaporating into the barren sea in which I see a lifeless body floating face-up in the surf. I notice the face slowly turning as white as printer paper, its eyes recede into its head and its mouth disappears. Every blemish or trace of recognizable presence seeps out of the carcass being thrown around by the waves. “Who is lying in the waves?

“That was your body.”

“But it looks nothing like me.”

“Looks are only useful to distinguish one living thing from another. You have passed into a dimension where looks are no longer useful. The humans only see you as how you lived your life and your experiences with them. In ten years your daughter will have forgotten the sound of your voice and what you look like. When she thinks of you she will only remember you as an inspiration, a hero, and a saint.”

“I was none of these things. Why should she think that I am?”

“Try to listen. Once again, I am death, I am God, I am one, I am everything.”

“If you are everything then you also must be me, and I must be you.”

“You are learning.”

“This means I could have been a saint or a hero, to my daughter. If I am you, then why is it that I must end my own life?”

“You were in a plane crash, you are the only survivor. If you allow yourself to die now, your wife will never love again and will grieve over the loss of you for the rest of her life. Due to this your daughter will do everything in her power to prevent this from happening to anyone else. She will study aircraft safety and engineering where she will develop an anti-crash system that will prevent 546,211 planes from crashing in the course of history, saving potentially 253,988,115 people. On a car ride in the winter of 2036 your family will be in a car crash due to a drunk driver. Your wife, daughter, son-in-law, and four grandchildren will die. The drunk driver is your only son who will remain in a vegetative state for 10 years until his death. On the…”

“I don't have a son.”

“Does the name Sarah mean anything to you?"

“I dated a Sarah in High School but that's about it.”

“She bore a child. You are the father. She hid it from you because she wanted to raise him alone. His lack of having a father hurt him deeply. He had a name but no way of finding you.”

“… I had no idea. What is his name?”

“That is not important right now. If you choose to survive the crash you will come home to see your entire family and live a long life with your family free from harm. But you will be paralyzed from the waist down for the rest of your life.”

“What about my son?”

“He will hear about the crash on the news and the name of the only survivor. He will find you. So what is your choice do you wish to live or die? You will not remember being here if you choose to live.”

2. There are infinite things waiting to be invented. A matter of time for sure, but being able to choose life doesn't happen often. More planes will crash, giving more chances of casualties, and more chances of one to grieve over a loss so much that they make a career to dedicate their life to prevent it (Granted, very slim chances, but the chances of existence in the first place are still basically zero). A life lived is something that cannot be replaced-even when paralyzed-and is precious. 

3. Idk, id probably tell him to do as he will and go about my business forcing him to make a decision.

Id also just think he was some creepy fuck in a field though.

4. @[member="MrToke"] Good answer I have posted this elsewhere and you are not alone on this thought! Personally I would prefer to see what the afterlife was like or if there is a form of reincarnation. I don't know that I could resist the temptation for knowledge!

5. Thats rough. I would have to choose life due to its infinite possibilities... I could influence something even greater through life then death. In this circumstance, death is a limitation, though great, still a limitation.Sent from my SPH-L300 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Word, it's good to know. Though I guess it can be seen as a tad egocentric, it is human nature. Our waking reality-even entire existence-is pieced together by what we are consciously aware of, and what goes on behind the scenes, subconsciously. That seems good enough justification for choosing life. Death will always be there, but life is temporary (as far as we know). I could think of what could be, indefinitely.

7. [quote name="Salguod14" post="19419157" timestamp="1390875284"]I am slowly approached by a dark figure. As he approaches, I am overcome by an immense feeling of hate that swells in every nerve of my body. I speak to him with confidence and anger in my voice. “What are you doing here!?" I notice that I am in a field, it is familiar to me but I do not immediately recognize it. "What do you want!?”“I am not here, but everywhere. We have met many times and you have denounced me each time I attempt to speak with you. Now, I will speak and you will listen.”“Why? How is it that we have met before, have I never seen your face?” I asked earnestly.“To look into my face is to see the truth. When you finally stop talking and begin to listen you learn the truth. This is when you will understand who I truly am.”“Why do I feel the need to flee from your presence?”“As a human, you cannot grasp the concept of my being. I am always present. You cannot escape me for I will find you wherever you may hide. I may summon you like I have done today.”“Why do you wish to see me?”“I have no need for you any longer. In order for mankind to advance you must cease to exist.”“Are you God? Why do I hate you if you are?”“I am many things. I am God, Devil, your sister, your brother, your mother, your father, even your childhood bully.”“How is it possible that you can be God and Satan?”“I am everything that ever existed, I am this field in which you have quietly rested. You hate me because I have taken you from what you have always loved. I am in my most evil form, even Satan fears me. I am death. This field is where you were conceived, but it is also where you are on the brink of death.”As I look around I begin to notice that the field in which I have lied in for hours is fading; slowly evaporating into the barren sea in which I see a lifeless body floating face-up in the surf. I notice the face slowly turning as white as printer paper, its eyes recede into its head and its mouth disappears. Every blemish or trace of recognizable presence seeps out of the carcass being thrown around by the waves. “Who is lying in the waves?“That was your body.”“But it looks nothing like me.”“Looks are only useful to distinguish one living thing from another. You have passed into a dimension where looks are no longer useful. The humans only see you as how you lived your life and your experiences with them. In ten years your daughter will have forgotten the sound of your voice and what you look like. When she thinks of you she will only remember you as an inspiration, a hero, and a saint.”“I was none of these things. Why should she think that I am?”“Try to listen. Once again, I am death, I am God, I am one, I am everything.”“If you are everything then you also must be me, and I must be you.”“You are learning.”“This means I could have been a saint or a hero, to my daughter. If I am you, then why is it that I must end my own life?”“You were in a plane crash, you are the only survivor. If you allow yourself to die now, your wife will never love again and will grieve over the loss of you for the rest of her life. Due to this your daughter will do everything in her power to prevent this from happening to anyone else. She will study aircraft safety and engineering where she will develop an anti-crash system that will prevent 546,211 planes from crashing in the course of history, saving potentially 253,988,115 people. On a car ride in the winter of 2036 your family will be in a car crash due to a drunk driver. Your wife, daughter, son-in-law, and four grandchildren will die. The drunk driver is your only son who will remain in a vegetative state for 10 years until his death. On the…”“I don't have a son.”“Does the name Sarah mean anything to you?"“I dated a Sarah in High School but that's about it.”“She bore a child. You are the father. She hid it from you because she wanted to raise him alone. His lack of having a father hurt him deeply. He had a name but no way of finding you.”“… I had no idea. What is his name?”“That is not important right now. If you choose to survive the crash you will come home to see your entire family and live a long life with your family free from harm. But you will be paralyzed from the waist down for the rest of your life.”“What about my son?”“He will hear about the crash on the news and the name of the only survivor. He will find you. So what is your choice do you wish to live or die? You will not remember being here if you choose to live.”[/quote]First off I'd like to say i found this to be extremely intriguing. The idea of a being who is absolutely everything is something I cannot even comprehend. Good work on your part.I am now stepping into the character's shoes..I would choose to live. I am aware that such a choice is selfish towards humanity but the force of love pulls me in.I couldn't bear thinking of such a horrific scene in which my entire (fictional) family is harmed at all. It pains me too much. To think of how frightening and tragic being jerked to death is just.. Unimaginable. On top of this, I find out it is my own drunkard of a son who has accidentally murdered my immediate family. How horrendous..!Now thinking in the mind of my own self (SagaciouSlug), I find that such a quick decision would influence the characters choice greatly. If he did love his family, there is no doubt that he would have chosen to survive. If he had more time to think, he would come to realize that human life is a small part of the experience and he is only delaying the process. If he had a certain amount of time, the character would choose to die as one day he will return to meet the being, possibly facing a punishment for self gain, not looking out for the experience of mankind. He will also come to recognize that all humans will separate one day to meet the being. There will be no reuniting with anyone ever again, therefore the best choice would be to die as human. This expresses true knowledge of the human experience and the being would be pleased to hear that he has learned something from his set years on Earth.~1996 Jiggawattz~

8. I appreciate the comment and I am glad that you took this so in depth! In my head this world he is in is essentially outside of time therefore he has all of the time in the world to decide. I don't think you would be punished for picking love. I believe love is the reason we are here in the first place. To make it through all of the hate and find the love and just enjoy love and seek out its benefits. In the whole of things are we not like mold on a piece of bread? I think that humanities goal shouldn't be to expand until we have a peaceful goal founded in love. I only choose death for my own interest in the unknown and how possibly I could become one with everything. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. #9 Boats And Hoes, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014

My friend, the Spirit is trying to inform your spirit that you do have a choice, in this life, in this time, and in this space (no matter what's happened or what you think will happen); and you must make it, earnestly, or suffer the fate of all the others who tune out that voice in their head (which is a choice in-itself!).

There's a fork in the road... which way do I go? I don't know... it's your decision - and no one else's (but who are you? What others assume you to be?).

This journey in life is A LOT more existential than most would like to think or acknowledge, because then it becomes scary, thinking you're all alone in this world; but, it's a lonely road, because we choose to see it that way. For, as the Spirit informed you, we may believe, thus creating the impression that there's just this big void of space and all is hollow, but, in reality, life is a lot DEEPER than what your eyes can see (as blind as the eye is without a mind).

10. Life is about the thrill of the chase, the journey and not the destination.

... says the squirrel who can't find his own nut.

:confused:

The destination or point of that statements has no value; have fun running around in circles in your own head. I mean, you do love a good chase and all...

You fucking high or what?

15. boats and hoes I think you have the wrong idea about what he's saying, I think he is saying to appreciate life while you are here and don't focus on the destination or death referring to wondering about what happens after death. I don't know honestly I'm very high