The Day I Almost Died

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by bdeslaur, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Picture this: a 17 year old high school student innocently working at an ice cream shop. A woman comes up to this student and asked for a slice of pie from the display counter. Not noticing that the trap door is open behind the display, he walks and cuts the pie. He then steps backwards towards the cash register and falls 15 ft, head first, fracturing the spine and knicking an artery on the back of my head.

That person was me. I was in the hospital for 3 days due to my blood loss. 1.5 years and 1 institution later and here I am. I was at a brain institution/clinic that focuses on brain injuries and brain injury care. They have the top neuropsychiatrist in the country leading the treatments of the residents at the center. That doctor saved my life.

I still feel empty sometimes and I have high anxiety. It never goes away and the only way to curb it is using medical marijuana. Marijuana has saved my life, too. I just wish doctors would agree with it more...

There's my story in a short blurb. We are currently trying to sue the building owner of the business I fell at. I'm not out for revenge, but at 18 years old it isn't fair that I had to go through this when it could've been prevented by my employer. There's a lot of anger there.

I'm still healing. It's an uphill battle every day.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wow my man...."strong" story....glad YOU DID make it and glad YOU DID find something to ease your troubles.....

I understand COMPLETELY about not wanting "revenge" even though....lets face it....I WOULD....and feel you are TOTALLY FINE with trying to sue them as IT IS THEIR JOB to make it safe to DO YOURS!

• Like Like x 4
  3. The downside, is I don't know if you have a good chance in court. You should be aware of all your surroundings no matter where you are. Can't rely on others homie.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Damn bro thats rough. Hope you make a full recovery, you don't deserve this shit at any age, especially this fucking young.

• Like Like x 2
  5. If you don't mind me asking, are you still using opiates for pain management? Or just strictly weed?

6. I don't use either for pain management. My pain is minimal. I do use it for two reasons: PTSD and Anxiety. The doctor who prescribed my card said that the PTSD and back spasms were the two biggest symptoms to him which is why he gave me one.

Reth, I would say you're right in most cases, but this was completely my employer's fault. She could have prevented it by putting a little door that latches to the wall to block someone from falling. She didn't implement that until after I was injured. Her daughter was in the basement at the time of my fall. She's been diagnosed with severe PTSD as well. The incident really have a big effect on her. It wasn't fun to either party.

7. So you landed on her? Why does an ice cream shop have a trap door?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. So, your saying it's your employer's fault, but there was another employee downstairs? Goddamn, something really wanted you to fall. Good luck homie, id say it's the daughters fault. She didn't tell you she went down there or warned you did she?

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. But who the fuck puts a 15ft hole with a God damn trap door in an ice cream shop?!

Is anyone else trying to picture this shit?

Feel bad for you OP. My buddy just had a bad head injury and seizure. But if you're doing better then I think he'll be back to normal soon. Just can't imagine that kinda shit happening to me.

Glad to hear weed helped you out man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jeezus man thats horrible. And i dont see why you wouldnt sue, thats negligence. Something that couldve easily been prevented.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. Now that's inconvenient trap door placement.

12. They dont....lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. You shouldn't have a problem sueing it's not revenge it's compensation. That is 100% employs fault there should be some kind of barrier in place before the trap door even gets opened, weather it be a temporary hand rail or chains that can be put up then the door can be opened up with no chances of someone falling into the hole. If i was you I would be sueing for no less then a million bucks even more cause of the fact your so young. I won a $700 000 000.00 law suit from a 19 year old running a red light. I have severe chronic back pain and can not work a normal job cause I'm either in pain or half out of it from the opiates the doctors keep giving me. I look back now and $700 000 000.00 wasn't enough and I was 30 years old. You being 18 or 19 now you want to make sure you get enough to live comfortable for the rest of your life. Good luck

sent from my garden

• Like Like x 1
  14. Damnn bro I wouldn't wish that on nobody, stay strong and hope you make a full recovery

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1