The Darwin Awards- Vatican Style

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Medicine Al, Sep 17, 2008.

1. http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSLG62672220080916?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0
    Evolution fine but no apology to Darwin: Vatican

Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:07pm EDT

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]1 of 2Full Size

By Philip Pullella
    VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican said on Tuesday the theory of evolution was compatible with the Bible but planned no posthumous apology to Charles Darwin for the cold reception it gave him 150 years ago.
    Archbishop Gianfranco Ravasi, the Vatican's culture minister, was speaking at the announcement of a Rome conference of scientists, theologians and philosophers to be held next March marking the 150th anniversary of the publication of Darwin's "The Origin of Species".
    Christian churches were long hostile to Darwin because his theory conflicted with the literal biblical account of creation.
    Earlier this week a leading Anglican churchman, Rev. Malcolm Brown, said the Church of England owed Darwin an apology for the way his ideas were received by Anglicans in Britain.
    Pope Pius XII described evolution as a valid scientific approach to the development of humans in 1950 and Pope John Paul reiterated that in 1996. But Ravasi said the Vatican had no intention of apologizing for earlier negative views.
    "Maybe we should abandon the idea of issuing apologies as if history was a court eternally in session," he said, adding that Darwin's theories were "never condemned by the Catholic Church nor was his book ever banned".
    Creationism is the belief that God created the world in six days as described in the Bible. The Catholic Church does not read the Genesis account of creation literally, saying it is an allegory for the way God created the world.
    Some other Christians, mostly conservative Protestants in the United States, read Genesis literally and object to evolution being taught in biology class in public high schools.

Believe It Or Not!:p

2. Roman Catholic Rule of Thumb: Never apologize unless it can be proven you massacred, genocided, executed or tortured innocent individuals. Even then, remain silent for at least a century. If at all possible, continue this trend of rejection and denialism.

3. I think what we're doing here is not being thankful for what we've got. But hey, you're guilty of the abuse of native Canadians just because of your citizenship.

4. I never said Might ain't Right ;)

5. I'm surprised they didn't ban it or condemn it.

Anyways, why should we care if they apologize to Darwin? I don't think Darwin is in any position to care and I think better progress fixing their mistake was made back when the Pope said evolution was true.

6. But how should I interpret that, Mr. Precision?

7. I don't exactly how "The Church" appologizes. Why should these guys appologize for the actions of people they never even knew? I think begging for an apology is stupid and pointless. What the hell does Darwin need an apology for? He's dead. He's not in heaven either. He's dead. What we should all take this as is an opportunity to ask how Catholics can actually think Evolution is compatible with their Bible. "Oh this first part, yeah...we just decided a little bit ago that's actually just good, entertaining stories. But that second[/] part! WE STILL KNOW THAT IS 100% FACT" Bullshit, call them out on the second half now. I think them adopting Evolution is a good enough apology.

8. The Church of England offered the apology.
    The Vatican has not offered anything but a quiet indulgence.

That's not quite what I'd heard, but I'm not a catholic. Has the church been teaching evolution all along?