The dangers of being a smoker and driving a company car.

Discussion in 'General' started by Papa Canna, Nov 15, 2015.

1. I have to drive a company car for work. I drive it for multiple hours per day, which means that sooner or later its more than likely i will have a fender bender at some point. I haven't been smoking since i've started the job, and as sad as it is to say, the job itself is making me miserable. I'm working 50 hours per week on top of going to classes and having financial issues is really stressing me out. It is also making my home life difficult. My wife has a hard time looking forward to me coming home from work when im a grumpy ass all day.

I've gotten past my preliminary test, and i've stopped smoking just in case i get into an accident for work. But just to reiterate its really bringing down my quality of home life. Does anyone here drive a company car for work? Does anyone know common procedure when you get into an accident? I've thought about keeping a bottle of monkey whiz at my house, but if i were in an accident that wouldnt really help me. i'd have to be able to retrieve the bottle AND get it warm before the test. Does anyone here drive a company car and still smoke while getting around the legal issues? any advice much appreciated. Also worth noting that this isn't JUST a job. It's a career, i want to stay at this company.

2. #2 Shecallsmedaddy, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2015
    I worked for dominos, so this may or may not be the same but when a coworker of mine was in an accident, he called the shop, told then what happened. They have to report it to corporate, and when he got back to the shop he had a post accident drug test demand on the table for him. He told the manager he didn't want to go take the test becuase he was dirty, but she let him quit. But that's dominos, he was rear ended (yes they test you even if you aren't at fault) and you are required to carry your own insurance and you drive your own car.

3. Thats completely ridiculous seeing as its his own vehicle, and that accident in no way effects dominos whatsoever. But my concern is that i will be in a company car.

4. Then you will be even more fucked. Just don't smoke or get a new job.

5. That's what I was trying to say, they went through all that and it wasnt even the company car. It was his own car, his own insurance and he wasn't even at fault.

6. You should be fine getting away with getting high and driving. For a lot of people they drive better when high....I know I do. If you're a good driver what's there to worry about getting into an accident for? Just be extra cautious

7. I sure do drive a company vehicle .. when it comes to accidents keep in mind that companies will test you the minute you fuck up .. now i usually hit da blunt before going in & after getting off .. sometimes during with my co-worker .. but the key is don't think about the screw ups, accidents & mishaps bcuz if ya really stressin it then maybe you shouldn't take a position that offers a company car ...

8. This poster knows what is up. Anybody that tells you that you aren't going to be tested has no clue what they are talking about.

As for your actual question, OP, it is all about priorities. Career over weed? HMMMMMMMMM..

If you have to think about that, you should quit your job.

9. No you only think you do.

10. I wasn't trying to think of taking one over the other. I was hoping for a way that I could get everything i wanted out of life without being strung up by the insurance companies.

11. Smoke when you get home than you don't be grumpy? Why aren't you happy you're finally off work?

Sent from my U670C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. another idea. keep the monkey wizz on you, say by your ankle, where it won't be in your pocket and in your way. As long as you won't be searched, (like some companies have in your employment contract, they will tell you that you can be searched at anytime.) That's what I would do, then you don't have to worry about going home and getting it. When you get home just put it on your table or whatever so you won't forget it.

13. have you ever worked 50 hours a week for a complete colossal douchelord just to immediately go to your night classes and hope to be home in time to make dinner? My life is very hectic and sometimes I need a little forced chill.

14. honestly thats a pretty good idea. I would probably do that if i weren't afraid of it falling off and someone seeing. I wish there was just a LEGIT "ready clean" or something like that, something that actually worked reliably.

15. rubber band? Ace bandage? I don't know what you do in your regular line of work, or what you wear for work or anything like that, so I can't really give any other ideas.... maybe something non-suspicious like a small "flashlight case" on your belt.

16. #16 Jane_Bellamont, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
    Not intending to be judgmental or condescending - since everybody has different experiences ..

Personally, if you asked me - I try not to make weed a part of my identity. Some of my roommates are construction workers who drive high to work. They're good drivers, and overall happy people.. so maybe it works for them. Just gotta be honest with yourself - that's all.

I don't think I could imagine being stuck 24/7 in a high frequency of consciousness.. unless I was using low-thc weed medicinally. Riding my moped sober is scary enough - I got run over by a car a couple of weeks ago while sober! Imagine how embarrassing it would be if I had had an accident while stoned. Imagine what that would do to the reputation of marijuana!

My day starts with a coffee - and finishes with a joint, then a beer. I like to appreciate these different frequencies of consciousness.. or different modes of existence, if you wanna put it that way. Like the four seasons. It makes me feel I have some sort of control over my life, and it's refreshing. I can also stop weed and alcohol whenever I want without withdrawal, so there's that.

Again, not trying to knock you or give you advice. I'm a daily drinker - some people tell me that I'm an alcoholic, others tell me I'm a lightweight. Me? I don't give a rat's ass what people think of me.. I've only had 3 hangovers in my life, and they don't know what goes on in my head.

I'm just a bit confused - you don't enjoy your job enough to do it sober, but you want to stay at that place? In an ideal world - what would you be doing?

17. I enjoy my job. I dont mind being sober. but I really miss enjoying a good toke on the weekends. It's not that i dont like the job, but some of the people in the workplace can make it stressful at times. I work at a Heating and cooling contractor. The reason i need to keep the job is because by reputation and employee benefits, I work for the BEST heating and cooling contractor in my area. Right this moment im a shophand, I spend a lot of my time driving around to different supply houses and picking up parts. Ideally when i get my promotion I will be a Service technician driving to customers houses and fixing their furnaces.