the cost of electricity?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by NiCKh609, Jul 2, 2008.

1. does anyone know a formula to help me figuer out how much it costs to run a 400 watt HPS 18/6?

2. im no expert but i've read like 20 bucks a month for a 400w ballast.

3. alright. cus in my area we have a problem with cops flying over head with heat sensers nd stuff.

4. Heat wise im not too sure but i dont think a 400w ballast is gonna toss enough to reguster on something like that. especially in a closet or grow box ventilated well and kept at the proper temp.

i did just find this however:

The Cost to Run a Marijuana Lighting System
    To get the operating cost per hour for a light, take the lights combined wattage, and divide it by 1000 to get the kilowatts used. Then multiply that number by the amount your electric company charges per kilowatt hour. HID lights will use the number of watts it emits per hour, ie; 600w system will use 600 watts per hour (regardless of spectrum).
    (light wattage output / 1000) x electricity cost per kilowatt hour = Operating cost per hour
    operating cost per hour x hours used per month = Operating cost per month.

5. so yea... like 20 bucks. so the electric company isnt evn gonna need to report tht to the cops, then if i keep it at like 75 degrees im good :D thnx

6. electricity must be really cheap where you are.

a 400 watt light & ballast would be around £15-20 a week here in the uk to run,=$38 a week,rough estimate in dollars)

:smoke:

7. well as long as its under 50 i dont think my friends parents OR the electricity company will notice. his parents prolly wont evn care nd the electricity company will prolly think they got a new tv in the house or somethin

8. Damn man, apparently both gasoline AND kilowatt hours cost more in Europe :eek:. In my area running an 18/6 400w for a month only comes to about $20-25 :cool:

But then again it would cost me a lot more to try to go visit Amsterdam than you so I guess it all even out lol

Cheers :smoking:

9. The thing is they really don't think anything at all. A typical utility can service hundreds of thousands of households, and they really don't sit around and speculate on why one bill might be a few dollars higher or lower than it was last month. They're in the business of selling electricity, all they really think about is how to meet the demand they got.

In any case, here is an on-line electricity calculator. Enjoy. :)

http://www.super-grow.biz/Electricity.jsp

10. I pay nothing fools, hahahaha!!! I just installed 4 200w solar panels with 16 backup batteries. and the gov here paid for most of the costs. so it will run my light, everything else and give a little extra for the electric company to pay me for. hahahahahaha:devious:

11. I run 400W HPS and a window AC unit for 18 to 12 hours a day along with fans, air pumps, etc. It raises my bill about 25 to 30 dollars a month.

12. heres the way i did it for me
    total watts 320watts

320watts/1000watts = 0.32 kilowatts x 18 hours = 5.76 kilowatts x 30 days = 172.8 kilowatts / 8.55cents = 20.11

8.55cents per kilowatt = 51.3 cents used daily

51.3 x 30 = $15.39

13. Mclovein Im pretty sure your math is flawed some how, it looked off, I ran the numbers and I came up with something differen't, I use differen't formula though. Apparently your setup run 320 watts, 18 hours a day,at 30 days a month? That is 172.8 kilowatt hours a month.

320 x 18 x 30 = 172800/1000 is 172.8 x .0855 = 14.77
    (8.55cents per kilowatt hour) is $14.77 a month?

I also ran it through the electricity calc Mycroft posted, it confirms my math, not being a dick but I like numbers... sorry...