Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The Controversy: Is weed a gateway drug?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by waterhurley, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Ive seen a few posts latley that kinda provoked some thought about pot being a gateway drug. Think of this: Have you done other drugs? If yes, was it AFTER you started smoking pot?

i can definitely say pot is a gateway drug. i started smoking weed my sophmore year of HS with the mind set "I will never touch any other drugs in my life." well shortly thereafter, i tried some pills. My buddy had me try a few lines of blow and i got hooked on it for a little while. I havent done ALOT of drugs in my few years on this planet but it definitely started after i started smoking weed on a bit more of a regular basis.

Think about it for a min, is pot TRULEY a gateway drug? i think it is for sure. I love Mary but she has introduced me to her friends.

2. dont think so persay.

depends on the person, only in the way that it leads you to being around people that do drugs, and then you get tempted or smoozed into doing other things.

3. I don't think so and here's why. Weed is a gateway drug to those willing to dry hard drugs. If you're not willing to try hard drugs, weed will not effect your decision. Therefore, weed is not a gateway drug.

4. i agree with that. it was the people i was around more then it was weed its self but the way life works around here if im smoking weed, being with those people is almost inevedible. i could be wrong. i usually am.

5. idk, i see alot of friends start out smoking weed and move on to later drugs, but thats maybe cause of personality and they just wanna get fucked up off whatever

depends on person and what you wanna do

6. a lot of research has found that it's not a gateway drug, I won't bother posting the links here unless you want them

For me marijuana is an anti-gateway drug, if I'm ever offered anything else I just say no man, i smoke the herb, everyone knows what that means so they stop trying. ..and that way they don't think I'm a cop or whatever so it's a lot safer than just saying no

7. hell no pot isnt a gateway if anything is it would be cigs or alcohol i told my friends that and they all agreed

8. I've done other drugs because I was curious...I know people who have done drugs and never even smoked pot. It is personal preference and depends on one's self control.

9. I smoked weed for a yearor two before I tried pills or anything else, but I dont think weed is a gateway drug. I think it was more where my life was going that made me try other drugs. I took pills just to see what the hype was about and my friendship group was always the 'experimental' one. I just think if people are open to experiment then they'll take other drugs but if people are dedicated to the herb and feel no reason to take other drugs then they wont, weed doesn't lkeas on to harder drugs...well that what I was telling my Dad then he found out I did pills, didnt give a good name to the herb in his eyes, whoops. :smoke:

10. It all depends on the person. To some it can be a gateway drug because hell most people who's doing acid and ecstasy the first drug they did was weed. But for some like me i wouldn't call it a gateway drug. You see my name thats all ive been doing since i was 12, smoking bud. I mean i done rolled a couple times because i was with some bitches n took me a lil half a pill n shit but ya know i dont do dat shit no more. I get on dat purple drink every once in a while but it's so rare to find down here.

11. Pot is a gateway drug. Most drug users use pot before moving on to other drugs, the implication being that somehow pot causes people to use harder drugs. My argument would be "so what?"

12. The only way I could see MJ being a gateway drug is in the sense that it exposes you to the drug culture, and thus, gives you easier access to other drugs...

For me, weed wasn't a gateway drug. I knew I was going to eat acid before I ever considered smoking pot... I've done most drugs you could think of, but not because I got tired of the weed high and needed something stronger... It was more so because I was curious about the different types of highs that went along with the different types of drugs.

13. Actually, most drug users start off with cigs or alcohol. Not pot. Look it up :)

14. just because people try pot first doesnt mean you can classify this as a gateway drug. Pot is the easiest to get out of all other drugs, its the one thats the least threatning. People get into other drugs when the dealer starts pushing on them to buy an eight ball or what have you. So in conclusion research shows that weed has nothing in its characteristics that would make you want to try harder drugs. Its just that our government has put us in a situation where weed CAN be a gateway drug because we are forced to buy this plant from the black market where people arent just messing with a little bud.

15. I would say it is, simply because once you've started smoking weed, the ignorant people who don't do drugs, and the cops, tend to place all users in the same category. And like a bunch of other people said you're around people who do drugs. Also you realize that the government is lying about pot, so you think they're probably lying about other drugs as well. Basically its only a gateway drug because its illeagal.

16. ditto

my 1st buzz was caffine, then nicotine, spirits, shrooms, then pot.

propaganda anyone?

17. I used to think, "Acid, who the fuck would take a drug called 'acid?'" But after smoking buds for a while now, I would do lsd in a heartbeat if I could find a legit dealer. Same with shrooms. "Why would somebody ingest poison?" But that's the same for alcohol and cigs like its been said.

I still wouldn't consider MJ a gateway drug.. Hell, it's just an herb right?

18. LSD and Shrooms aren't poisons, though... They are as safe for your body as Pot, so long as they're not abused.

19. That's not what they teach in school. ;)

Like I said though, I'm over that. I'd do either if the opportunity presented itself. :)

20. This is the way I see it: Saying weed leads to harder drugs, like coke and heroin, is pretty much saying that petty theft leads to serial killings. It's the person, not the drug.