The Color Purple

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Big Poppa Puff, Sep 26, 2001.

1. I can't find this info anywhere. Is Durban Poison supposed to have a purplish color to it? I'm seeing some purple streaks on the leaves and stems. Also on the males the little dingleberries starting out are all purple.

I started the plants outside to take advantage of the last few rays of sunshine and also to start them out flowering to cull the males before they go under the lights. The last few nights have been pretty cold, down in the lowers 60's and 50's. Does the cold snap make them purple? Just wonderin, they seem to be growing fine.

2. I use to know this guy that grew gainesville green in tenn. And it would get cold at night outside where he kept them. It always was so purple it was wierd. butthe smoke was ripe

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey Woody and Hemp, I appreciate the info. I don't think its a phosphate def. though. I use growing mix with nutes pre-mixed and designed for bloomong flowers. Should be plenty of P in it. I am hesitant to add any more nutes to the mix because of the potential to burn the plants, (learned that the hard way). I think the cold has got something to do with it. Since I moved them inside, all new growth has been green. The bad thing is that 75% of my crop is male. I need to pull them up but I like looking at the purple male flowers. I'm waiting for them to open up and see if the stamen are going to be purple to. I could never be a commercial grower, I'm much too interested in the landscaping and horticultural side.

4. purple coloring is seen when humidity is to high due to rain +++ and cold temperature
    2nd problem : growing outside and then replacing natural light by artificial light is not a very good thing . opposite is growing inside and then go over to natural light
    I hope you succeed in it but I doubt

5. Narurally high humidity due to proximity to the coast, no rain in over four weeks. Night time lows dropped from mid 60's F to mid 40's F due to a cold front moving in.

Plants had only been outside for 2 weeks since germination till room became available in the grow room, but nighttime lows forced their move inside to a very crowded situation. I would rather stress my plants by moving outside to inside, than grow lots of tall spindly plants sharing too few watts from the lights. If the plants aren't outside that long (2 weeks in this case) moving them inside isn't that big a deal. Especially if your outside summer crop was a failure and you are trying to squeeze all you can out of your indoor production setup.

In my part of the country, the weather is usually very cooperative in starting outside then moving inside this time of year. The less sunshine starts the flowering process early, cull the males, then go indoors for 24HR light to vegetate then re-flower the crop. Works fine except for unseen cold fronts from timt to time.

But, 75% of the crop was male and got culled last night. All new growth on them since they went under the lights were perfectly dark green. Remaining girls are doing fine, with their new growth green as Ireland.