The College Bubble

Discussion in 'Politics' started by xmaspoo, Aug 14, 2011.

1. if they are footing the bill.. go for college.

do not take out any loans.

2. Senior citizens continue to bear burden of student loans - The Washington Post

[​IMG]

3. Fuck :eek: Welp i guess im rethinking my life, i thought school was a waste, now i know it is. But how many of those college graduates are art majors, sociology or anything besides engineers and scientists?

4. By me not going to college I am indeed a true American Patriot. :cool:

5. Did JPMorgan Pop The Student Loan Bubble? | ZeroHedge

6. CNBC: 1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed

7. [quote name='"skiibo"']idiotic.
    Good luck trying to be a successful doctor without going to college.[/quote]

Did you read the article? I don't think so. Its saying there are not enough doctor jobs for all Tue people trying to be doctors. So people get out of school and go to McDonald's.

L2read before commenting

8. I couldn't agree more. Just to think that not too long ago, shelter was a FREE right, given us to by the bounty of mother nature. A tribe was not dependent upon monetary games to be able to have a roof to sleep in. You simply built your own shelter... with your own tools, labor, and nature's capitol - mud, wood, dirt, etc.

The fact that we have to play this game to survive is in and of itself pretty wild when you think about it. This is exactly the system that the native American's could not understand for the life of them. Why would anyone subject themselves to being forced to labor and slave for the nature-given right to live and eat? Nature provides our food and shelter, not some institution.

But the system were are living in makes it so that you need to play to survive. I agree... it is fucked up. We need to start working on ways to live outside the monetary system.

9. well said!

i'm trying man. growing my own medicine to hopefully fresh food this summer. we'll see how i do. lol

10. Banks Skim Millions in Fees From Student Aid Using Debit-Card-Linked Student IDs | Common Dreams

Banks Skim Millions in Fees From Student Aid Using Debit-Card-Linked Student IDs

Moral hazard?

Student loans for anyone and everyone, no price is too high. All this, and people are actually surprised that colleges jack up tuition costs every year? Does it not make sense that banks are trying to get a sizable piece of the incredible cash cow that is Government loans for higher education?

11. I have one of those campus debit cards for financial aid..they say $.50 per swipe fee, psh, mine has a $5.00 fee :eek:

12. Bullshit. Work for what you want to have and earn it your damn self. No physical property nor services should be provided for free - unless you want to volunteer your own time and effort, which then of course makes it not free. TINSTAAFL - There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

If you want to go live in a mud house in the woods and hunt squirrels for subsistence, go for it bro. I want to live in a nice house with air conditioning, water/windproof walls and a roof, and a BBQ to cook the food I didn't raise myself. I don't have the means nor knowledge to build a house or otherwise completely provide for myself, which is why I do my own job to make money to pay to other people for the jobs they can do.

Shelter has never been a "free right," other than maybe caves?? You said yourself, "with your own tools and labor." What if you don't know how to build a shelter? You die, or someone else helps you. If someone else helps you, your entire theory goes out the window. It infers everybody should and would be charitable enough to simply donate their own time, tools, labor, knowhow etc in order to help you. While it would be a pretty perfect world if everybody were so generous and selfless, it would also be pretty awesome if we all shat Skittles and pissed Mountain Dew, but it's just not gonna happen. Since we don't live in such a fantasy world and other people's time/labor is valuable to them just as much as yours is to you, we have a monetary system that allows us to have jobs like computer programmers and still be able to eat, because you can't eat computer code.

Again, if you want to go live outside of the monetary system, go right on ahead. Come back every so often and let us know how your squirrel recipes are coming along. Oh, wait, you couldn't, because you'd have to build your own computer from mud and sticks because you eschewed the monetary system. Womp womp!

13. People could never do anything beyond mud sticks and squirrel food without money...money is what brings all modern luxuries into existence...

14. lol.. voluntary society puts your argument to shambles.. money isnt necessary.

anyways.

your first point is fruitless as well.. we have more homes than homeless and yet the only reason they arent occupied is becuase of the banks in control of the land.

do a history lesson on land patents, foreclosure through history and how the banks run it.

15. wrong..

many anthropologists and sociologists would argue that Alcohol does.

16. sarcasm...obvious or not..?:confused:

17. A $5.00 fee per swipe? Whats the point of using one?

18. Many anthropologists and sociologists believe alcohol is responsible for the invention and distribution of modern luxuries? I'm not an anthropologist, but source?

I think you mean alcohol brings human society and culture together, perhaps. To which most would agree, I believe.

19. does anyone else ever feel like the "college is a waste of time" articles are promoted by people who wasted their time in college?

20. My argument is that a "voluntary society" is a pipe dream. Your rebuttal to that is "yeah, but what about a voluntary society??" :rolleyes: If somebody told me it's dumb to pine about how wonderful it would be for something unrealistic to exist, would I be putting any arguments to shambles by continuing to pine about how wonderful it would be for something unrealistic to exist?

(the answer is no, in case you haven't yet figured it out)

No idea what homes and homeless have to do with anything I posted. Did you maybe mean to quote somebody else...? Or are you just trying to change the subject somehow? Drunk/stoned, maybe? Please, tell me how the absence of banks would somehow grant you the knowledge and means to build a house all by yourself, or maybe how it would grant your fantasy dream of a voluntary society actually existing in the real world in any significance (not talking about little clans of hippies in communes, we're talking about the entire system here, remember). [​IMG] Try to actually "put my argument to shambles," not just some half-assed sentence. Put some effort into it, boy!