The cliche' "Tattoos have to have a meaning."

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by Anthony777, Apr 5, 2012.

1. What is your opinion on this?

In my opinion, I don't believe a tattoo necessarily has to have some deep meaning behind it...I could see a piece of artwork I like, and get it, just because I think it looks bad ass. I'd be satisfied with it, but it doesn't hold any deep meaning to me, it just looks cool, but if I was happy with it, that's all that would matter right?

And I don't see how any tattoo could be a regret, unless it's something really ridiculous...I would see them as a reminder of a milestone in my life...I get a cool picture tatted on my arm when I'm 20...When I'm 55, I can look at that tattoo, and remember all of the good times I had at that age, and just really reminisce on my life.

Like, right now, I'm just looking at shirts from my favorite bands, and I may consider getting some t-shirt artwork on me. I don't see how it could turn out as a regret, because it will be a nostalgic symbol of my youth to me.

2. I feel the same way. Although I'm just now getting around to getting my first ink, it's going to be SLAYER's band logo. They are my favorite band and I have some great concert memories from them, so it sort of has meaning, but not as deep as some would expect.

I say, get what you want where you want it and if it has meaning, great, but it's not the be all end all word on tats.

3. Exactly, I'm wanting to get a 5FDP tattoo on me somewhere, not sure where, but I want one. They're currently my favorite band, and when I'm old, I can look back and remember that, not be ashamed of it.

I'm wanting to fill up each arm with some not-so-meaningful tattoos, but the kind of artwork that it is, will attribute to the meaning of my sleeves.

4. I just think it should mean something to the person getting it. It doesn't have to be super deep or anything, but tribal tatts and stars on each side of the belly get really old.

5. Exactly. I'm wanting to fill up my right arm will skulls, demons, all that good stuff, and I want my right arm to be a colorful nature scene. Underlying meaning behind that is everyone has some good and some bad in them. Not deep, but it means something to me.

6. Yeah man, fuck those people who think it has to have some kind of message or underlying allegory for some bullshit no one cares about. On top of that, fuck the guys who believe that you should only get work done by a professional at a tattoo shop, as if by not doing so makes it any different. Because, let's be honest, tattoo shops are far and away beyond overpriced, and don't give me any of that shit about "you get what you paid for." And fuck those people who think that tattoos have to be some unbelievable masterpiece of artwork, or else it looks "ugly." Grow the fuck up.

Right now I only have one tattoo and its just a design from an album cover of my favorite band. There's some meaning behind it but I'm sure most people wouldn't understand when I say that "this band has influenced me in a way beyond no other." I also didn't go to some lame tattoo shop because I'm not gonna fork out a ton of cash for a simple design (I'll do that for my next, much more detailed and carefully thought out piece). And most people would consider my tat to be amateurish and poorly done because it looks sloppy and there are mistakes everywhere, but I prefer it that way, gives it character you don't see in many others' pieces these days... anyways, yeah that's just my two cents.:smoke:

7. I have some pretty cliche tattoos.

[​IMG] that one

and "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for thou art with me" which is below the cross on my shoulder. The pic was just taken before I got it.

I actually sort of wish I didn't get them because I wasn't thinking at the time. But even though they are cliche, they mean a lot to me.

8. I have Islamic Calligraphy on my right arm, from when I spent some time studying Shia Islam. I was actually practicing for awhile, but some things just couldnt be truly accepted so I stopped. It will be a reminder of the time I spent for years to come.

9. Exactly, good stuff man.

10. I don't think tattoos have to have meaning behind them. Not everything in life has to have meaning. I know some people who had meaning behind there tats and still regret them.

11. I hate the people who get the monster energy symbol tattooed on their arm right next to another corporate symbol. Tattoos should have at least some meaning behind them while at the same time look cool as fuck.

12. i have 10 tattoos right now, and none of them have any meaning other than "i thought it would look cool"..

however my next tattoo is going to be a gun on my leg.. its going to cover up some scars from when i used to cut myself.. so its not as obvious when i wear shorts your just gonna see the tattoo.. a gun is somewhat symbolic of the scars i guess.

13. that shits gonna huuuuuuuuuuuuuurt. scar tissue. *shudders*

14. Ha, my first one will probably be on my chest. Totally looking forward to that pain...not.

15. Ive always felt that tattoos don't need to have a meaning. Ive come to realize that a lot of times the image doesnt have a meaning, but they have a story that goes with it like i got a scorpion on my chest that I got when I used to live in Chicago and it reminds me of all the fun partying I used to do there. But the scorpion itself has no meaning whatsoever

16. Fuck it. You are putting something on your body.

If you want it there, for whatever reason, then thats your decision.

You shouldnt give two shits what people say about your tattoos.

17. ive never really thought any of them hurt, so im not scared at all.

18. I think you've got it backwards.
    People getting tattoos with no meaning is cliche.

Edit: Also, this:

19. #19 budsmokeronly2, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
    art is art is art.

does art have to have a meaning to be art? i say no.

edit: art. that is all.

20. I have a tattoo of a Stargate address on my ankle.
    I got it because it looks cool. Haters gonna hate.