The Chinchilla Thread

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Ottuh, Sep 20, 2013.

1. #1 Ottuh, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
    What's good, blades? :smoke:

So, I searched and we had a couple topics about chinchillas but no master thread. This thead is a place where chinchilla owners and stoners can post pics, talk about their chins, and ask questions if they have a concern or are interested in owning a chinchilla in the future.

I'll start. I've had pet chinchillas for about a year now. I have two males and they are best friends. I have a White Mosaic named Perrin and a Standard Gray named Yoda.

To the pics! (Click to enlarge!)

sharing.jpeg

Chinchillas are not huge fans of being held, but they are very friendly and love to be scratched and massaged. They will let you hold them for a little bit, like in this photo, but they prefer to come to you and give affection on their own terms.

menchind.jpeg

Chinchillas are big chewers with open rooted teeth so it's important that they have a lot of chew toys for their dental health. Toys also provide a sense of security.

toys.jpeg

perrrinreal.jpeg

Housing your chinchillas in a quality cage is essential to their well being. It needs to be large enough for them to play and exercise. A quality wheel serves their need to run very well. They also need their own space if you have multiple chinchillas, so they should have many ledges, floors, and boxes that they can post up in. Here is a picture of my cage set up as it is right now.

cage.jpeg

Chinchillas have many personalities. Yoda is an extrovert, and loves to climb on me and chill on my shoulder.

stomachyoda.jpeg

yoda shoulder.jpeg

Perrin prefers to stay back and check things out on his own. It's important that you know before buying a chinchilla that not all of them like to be held and they have a ton of responsibility. Too many chinchillas are put to sleep and put up for adoption because their original owners did not do reasearch!

perrin standing.jpeg

There are my chinchillas! I hope you liked the pictures, and if you are new to chinchillas, I hope this thread will serve as a learning tool for those interested in owning one. It is a lot of work and a large commitment as they live for up to 20 years. Please post or PM me if you have any other questions!

:gc_rocks:

2. If I had one, i'd get it really fucked up off some good bud.

3. I had a chinchilla when I was younger. I had to keep it at my dads place because my grandma was allergic to it ( I lived with her) Sooo one day I went over and Rocko was missing. My dad said he chewed a hole through his cage and he couldnt find him.  A good 12 years later, ON MY WEDDING DAY my dad said he hasnt been this nervous since he had to tell me my chinchilla died. I was so shocked that he was like "what I didnt tell you??"That fucker got loose and ended up falling into the sump pump."  I was so pissed at him for lying to me, I would search the neighborhood every weekend to find him, I made posters, knocked on doors, the whole 80's movie montage of pet hunting.  I was so upset about it I was sad for the first 20 minutes of my wedding haha.

4. I don't think it would be good for their ears to have smoke get all up in em. They pretty much act stoned all day anyways.

Oh my god that's horrible, ha. I can understand why though, I am really attached to my lil guys already!

5. lol this thread makes me want to get a chinchilla!

6. They're good pets for a pet enthusiast. If it is your first animal, you might find them difficult but I love them. They're fun to chill with and at this point they've gotten many contact highs and I don't think it has harmed them at all.

All in all, very cool stoner pet and bitches love chinchillas!

7. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1384875224.041103.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1384875246.761583.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1384875267.715869.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1384875296.019582.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1384875334.489085.jpg

This is my Pikachu!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I've had a mosaic for several months now, and I love the little fur ball. Getting a two level cage soon to buy him a buddy soon too. I'll post some pics of him later on when I'm sober :smoking:

9. Here's the oldest, Gizmo:
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401452112.429168.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401452222.109641.jpg

And the younger, Mojo:
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401452188.243822.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401452351.228355.jpg

Current cage setup:
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401452488.974809.jpg

Unfortunately the boys haven't been properly introduced yet, but hoping they eventually become buds & we can take the second level pan out to open it up into one big cage

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum