The Cali Connection 22 Grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by JonesieMde, Nov 15, 2016.

1. #1 JonesieMde, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Ok, My buddy brought me some seeds on his last visit. They were, Cali 22, Larry OG Kush, and Green Crack. All feminized. Since I already have Some Sugar Candy and Blueberry/Bubblegum crosses going as indicas, I decided to start with the 22 as a sativa. It's genetic back ground includes some Jack Herer. So here we go.

The seeds cost $60 for a pack of 6.

22 - The Cali Connection

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-15 at 4.16.41 PM.jpeg

I splashed all 6 seeds on November 7. All 6 sank within a few hours, but were a little slow to crack in the water. After about 36 hours, all but 2 had cracked and were put in a damp paper towel in a ziplock bag. The remaining 2 cracked the next day and were treated similarly.

Within a day, the first four had developed tap-roots and were planted in soil*. The next two followed a day later.

* For soil, I mixed 10 kilos of homecenter soil (our version of Home Depot), 4 kilo bags of coco, 2 kilos of worm casting, and 2 cups of micoral, a local version of myko.

I planted them on Nov. 10, and Nov 11 for the 2 stragglers.

After about a day, 3 of the first 4 had cracked soil and had shaken the seed-shell. A day later, 1 of the 2 stragglers had done the same. The remaining two never came through.

* For first-stage light, I'm using large CFL's from a company called Ilumax. They claim 90/450W and 5850 Lumens per light. I'm using splitters, and can only fit 2 on each of the splitters designed for 4. I put smaller (26/110W) cfl's in the remaining sockets. I have 3 light cords, but am using a 'Y' splitter for the third.

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-15 at 4.16.42 PM.jpeg

On Nov 15, each of the 4 plants are approx. 1" and had started a second set of leaves. I mixed in a very mild dose of calcium and magnesium into their water.

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-15 at 4.25.34 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2016-11-15 at 4.25.35 PM.jpeg

For Co2, I'm using simple unsalted club soda. I water the plants with a shot glass of the club soda every other day.

2. Day 11, plants are about 2" off the soil, and starting to bush up a little. One of them was looking a little pale/yellowish green, even after a calmag suppliment, so I put it in the blue tent to relax for a few days before dosing it with light again.

I'm considering transplanting them in a few days directly to a 5 gallon soil/coco medium just to bypass the process of the 1 gallon pot. Any input would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

3. Transplanted 3 to 2 gallon buckets, the other directly to a 5 gallon bucket. All seem to be liking the blue tent. The LED ex-veg lights create less heat and are a friendlier environment for vegging plants.

4. Out on the flower deck. Have a new visitor, not sure if he's friendly or hostile.

Attached Files:

5. Thats 11 days from seed?:sneaky:

6. I hit them with 40k lumens for the first 3 weeks and load them up with calmag before transplanting them to larger pots. They scrunch up like a caesar salad with super tight nodes. When I put them in the larger tent, they begin elongation with thick stalks and stems. As long as I keep enough Co2 around, they don't shock over the heat.

7. These things are getting crazy. Two of them are at the top of my greenhouse. Very lanky plants.

Attached Files:

8. These are large plants. I had to tie them down to keep them withing the greenhouse.

Attached Files:

9. Day 68, Cut the first 22 plant. Nice size nugs, long and lanky plant. Still, a pretty good yield. Looks to be about 4-5 oz once it dries, we'll see. Smells delicious.

Some observations and conclusions. This is a huge plant, if you're going to grow it, either manage its height early, or make sure you have plenty of space for it to grow. I made the mistake of waiting too long, and suffered a few broken limbs as a result.

As for the finished product, I think this strain is well worth the time, but the grower needs to know going in what the characteristics of the plant are.

10. The high from this strain is fantastic. Everyone who's smoked it raves about it. The production was nice, and it was a 'clean' plant to manicure. I would highly recommend this strain.

Attached Files: