the Butthole Surfers

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Bob_Gnarly, Dec 31, 2009.

1. is anyone else here a fan of the Butthole Surfers? alot of people don't seem to know who they are. they're pretty amazing. they're live shows are intense. see for yourself:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho_I0kK8TTM]YouTube - "100 Million People Dead" by the Butthole Surfers Live[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8NCijeX6Zg]YouTube - butthole surfer reunion 6/27/08[/ame]

i've seen them live twice. once in Houston and once in Austin. i was not dissapointed one bit. seeing them live while frying will blow your mind.

2. i'm a pretty big fan their cd Electriclarryland other then that i haven't heard much from them but thats a good cd :)

3. they've got other good albums. you should check out Hairway to Steven.

4. Hey man crazy band there. have you seen The Devil And Daniel Johnston? theres a big section where Daniel goes to a BHS concert, trips out on some potent acid, and fuckin hits his manager in the head with a lead pipe.

5. haha damn. i was pretty fryed when i saw them but i didn't hit anybody lol

6. Locust Abortion Technician is awesome.
    The guitar solo in 22 going on 23... :eek: :hide:

7. yeah dude, these guys rock. I fucking love Psychic... Powerless. I posted this in another butthole surfers thread a while back, but you can find some sick live performances here:
    Internet Archive: Free Downloads: Butthole Surfers

also, if you like them, check out some early Flaming Lips. They site The Butthole Surfers as huge influences on some of their early albums from the '80s. Also, check this out, The Flaming Lips putting the words from "Moving To Florida" to "Seven Nation Army":
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHsLZ7zYKsQ]YouTube - Flaming Lips - Seven Nation Army ( Live )[/ame]

8. when i think butthole surfers i think of their song pepper which i love... Never heard those songs you posted but there ok

9. fuckin love the butthole surfers, especially when i am trippin :hippie:

10. yah butthole surfers rule

11. haha yes!! it was pretty epic the first time i saw them live. they opened with that song and i thought i was going to melt

i've got their discography. every full length album, EP, live and rare album i've got. i havn't heard alot of stuff by the Flaming Lips but i've heard a little bit and i like it. i also like Scratch Acid alot.

word.

12. yo i know a punk kid from texas i met at the repulsion/brutal truth show in NY. i bet you know him haha

13. Haha. They're from San Antonio right? Thats where I'm from. They're the most famous band thats ever come out of this city as far as I know...haha, which isnt saying much. The music scene here blows.

14. I saw the original lineup recently in New Orleans under a big circus tent and it was AMAZING. All I can say is that it was one of the best shows I have or probably will ever see.

15. that depends on what city he was from. if Houston then there is a pretty good chance that i might have known him, had friends that knew him or seen him around. the Houston scene isn't very big so people tend to stick together more.

yeah they're originally from San Antonio then they moved to Austin in the late 80s i think. dude the SA scene is weird. i went to the Punk/Oi! fest and a bunch of skins kept fighting eachother. they eventually shut the fest down and cops came in with riot batons forcing people out the doors then it all spilled out into the streets. it was insane. San Antonio is a stange place lol my parents live in New Braunfels, right outside of SA haha

i thought the same thing when i saw them.

16. #17 ballparkmanatee, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
    Ha really? I'm right next to New Braunfels, about 10 minutes away. Its a small world.
    But yeah San Antonio is a weird place. Most of the local bands here are screamo/scene-kid stuff or pop punk, and as far as I know we are completely devoid of real experimental bands like The Butthole Surfers. Maybe thats what the music scene is like everywhere, but man it seems especially dry here.

17. I saw the Butthole Surfers in Cali. They're even more obnoxious in person... I love it.