The Buffett Rule and another Depression..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lilro, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Well for those that don't know, the current administration is trying to apply the "Buffett Rule", named after Warren Buffett. It will raise the tax rate for people making over a million dollars, to try to fix the deficit. This is obviously not enough to fix anything, and things will inevitably get worse. I just woke up from a dream where we were back in Great Depression times where it took a wheelbarrow of money for a loaf of bread. People will need millions of dollars to survive. And the Fed will print tons of money like they always do which will fix nothing. So that means higher taxes for everyone. What do you blades think? Is it plausible?

2. #2 Brenjin, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
    Higher taxes lowers GDP and thus lowers tax revenues.

More than ever now we need savings, taxes will hinder them.

Higher taxes will make investing in America unattractive.

I think it's bad and will make things worse and could make your dream more likely

3. Hyperinflation is possible, but unlikely. Very high inflation is a sure thing though.

4. Maybe if they stop spending so much money trying to influence the entire world they could fix their deficit without raising taxes on anybody, which is bad for the economy.

5. You dream about this?

Seriously?
    :laughing:

6. Not like I chose to dream about it...It just happened.

7. When Warren Buffet PAYS the one billion he owes in back taxes then maybe I will take this joke of a rule seriously. I just can't seem to trust a billionaire who says he wants to share the wealth.....I mean whats in it for him?

8. What about Bill Gates? Certified billionaire and now spends most of his time giving it all away.

9. buffet's wife doesn't tell him how to spend it.

10. He gives away a shit ton of money.

He's pretty much half of the bill gates foundation and is giving up half his total wealth when he dies.

He is a great humanitarian.

If anything he should be taxed less. The more money he has the more money he gives to charity. And he's much more efficient than the gov. So it'd be a better use of the money.

11. Fuck Microsoft, they're fuckng insane. Our company has just under 500 PCs total, and we use Office 07 right now. We were thinking about upgrading to Office 10, since now they've come out with Office 365, so we figured 10 is the slightly older program now, should be affordable to upgrade. But for only our 500 PCs, getting the software and the liscencing to upgrade it on the PCs, plus upgrade our exchange server for Office 10, it came out to over a million dollars! WTF? That's frigging bullshit for not even being the latest software. They're a fucking monopoly and they know it.

12. We have had greater prosperity whilst the rich were paying more in taxes. Trickle down doesn't and never has worked.
    Perhaps with the higher tax rates they spend more in order to shelter some of the earnings i.e. business write-offs, etc. :smoke:

13. Never understood the logic. Ok, we're going to increase prosperity by punishing prosperity.

14. Just realized that if high inflation happens then current wages will adjust but pensions can be paid out in the inflated currency....

thats fucked up

15. I don't really think this is an argument about who should pay what taxes.

Half of American's pay no tax to the federal government and the top 5% pay over half of our total taxes.

Our discussion should be about whether we can afford to be at perpetual war at the same time as lowering taxes.

No politician wants to seriously answer that question. Well sans ron paul.

16. I was referring to buffet not gates

17. Why don't the American people just go "We didn't make these decisions, here have your money back we don't want all this debt".

You think they'd be able to arrest all of you?

18. Because that's anti-government and according to the Department of Homeland Security, anything anti-government = terrorism.

19. True, true.