The Breakfast Club

Discussion in 'Movies' started by GM-2X, May 9, 2009.

1. #1 GM-2X, May 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
    This movie is fucking great.

And I didn't think I'd be saying that. But, after watching it high with some friends I see how awesome it is. Also, we viewed it from the perspective of being a stoner film. I didn't realize they basically toke and bond.

The janitor is a total stoner. He extorts the principal for $50. Why $50? Could it be time to get another half?

Also I loved looking into the psychology of the characters with my friends. How everyone looks up to Bender's character because they wonder if he is some anarachist messiah. With some knowledge that only someone who smokes could understand. He is however, completely one of those asshole stoners who uses weed smoking to appear cool or mysterious. He has no real knowledge and uses his daring to seem like he is more intelligent then the rest of the world.

I also love how they are completely overdramatic in order to gain attention. That is just how high school kids are. They talk just to get attention, not because they have something to say. They are constantly looking to reveal themselves to anyone who will really listen.

It's also badass how all the kids are willing to try weed. And I've got to say the jock seems to have questioned trying it before but never fully decided upon doing it. You can see this in the way he approaches Bender, almost with a sort of respect. Yes, he does stand up to him but he also give into Bender's antagonizing in order to hear what he has to say. After stoned, however I find him to be the most enlightened character. Barely talking, just listening to everyone else bullshitting. The rest of the movie he seems like the only person to stop putting on a show. It was like he'd hoped weed would be like this and it was. It was good. And he had an experience that betters his life.

Some high thoughts on that shit...

2. i agree gm. You basically nailed it. could they have casted better actors for the charactors in the film? i dont think so. this movie is also WAY better to watch stoned as well:smoke:

3. Hell yeah man. I mean I really wasn't expecting that shit to end up being so good but wow... I was pretty blown away.

4. Great way to look at it.

Did anyone else notice that the jock never smoked WITH everyone else? he seems to have gone off into that little music room by himself and hotboxed it, as if he had some of his own?

5. Yeah dude I totally did. That really cracked us up. I think what it was is the jock had an interest in weed. So when he finally smoked he just did something he'd read about and hotboxed that fucking room. They burned about a quarter if they smoked that whole bag I'd say.

6. Bender was a straight up G

7. Smoke up ,Johnny:smoking:

8. Hands down one of my favorite movies ever and I have yet to see it stoned. It's one of those movies you can watch over and over and still enjoy it, imo

9. Yeah, The Breakfast Club is definitely one of the best movies of all time.

I love the principal haha

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8qb9TRqZsM]YouTube - The Breakfast Club clip[/ame]

10. Oh man I love The Breakfast Club

"All the honeys are top-shelf, but all the dudes are whiny pussies - except for Judd Nelson, he was fuckin' harsh"

11. I love that movie. Haven't seen it in awhile...think I'ma go change that :smoking:

12. "EAT.. MY.. SHORTS"

the funny part for me is that i only saw the movie because my assistant principal had a breakfast club poster in her office. she kept me in during lunch cuz i had gotten in trouble right before the bell rang and i just started at the fucking poster, when she came back i had to ask what the movie was about. then i went out like a month later rented it and didnt expect that smoking scene, why would the AP leave that little detail out =P

13. #13 Cannabil, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2009
    I'm sorry to tell you but your analyzation of John Bender is completely wrong.
    I don't take it you know much about psychology do you??
    First, they don't look up to John Bender at all, they look down to him, and see him as scum. As time goes on they realize he's not just a scum, he doesn't have the same loving parents they have, and even though their parents pressure them they're still there for them, whereas John Bender is in the world all alone. He's not at all looked up to and he sees the other kids as goody-two-shoes who've been given everything, but he's been given a world of crap. They all later realize they never really knew eachother, though they might be different people, they're all exposed to similar pressures and live similar lives. That's why many of them come together in the end and can toke together. John Benders not an asshole stoner, he's a misunderstood kid that smokes weed to escape from his rough life and help him enjoy it, that's why in the end they all toke together and have a blast.
    I think you should just watch it a few times more, because you never see everything in just one time. This is an excellent movie and TOP 10 on my list, it has a great message. It's really a very emotional movie if you can understand it. John Bender is a very misunderstood individual who everyone just sees as a scum and wants to use him as a punching bag. He's given a rough time at home, then he goes to school and is given a rough time, like when the teacher is in the closet with him and talks down to him asking him to give him his best shot. He certainly wasn't looked up to in anyway until the end when they could understand him better.

Richard Vernon: That's the last time, Bender. That the last time you ever make me look bad in front of those kids, you hear me? I make $31,000 a year and I have a home and I'm not about to throw it all away on some punk like you. But someday when you're outta here and you've forgotten all about this place and they've forgotten all about you, and you're wrapped up in your own pathetic life, I'm gonna be there. That's right. And I'm gonna kick the living shit out of you. I'm gonna knock your dick in the dirt.
    Bender: You threatening me?
    Richard Vernon: What are you gonna do about it? You think anyone's gonna believe you? You think anyone is gonna take your word over mine? I'm a man of respect around here. They love me around here. I'm a swell guy. You're a lying sack of shit and everybody knows it. Oh, you're a tough guy. Hey c'mon. Get on your feet pal. Let's find out how tough you are. I wanna know right now how tough you are.
    [offers Bender his chin]
    Richard Vernon: Just take the first shot. I'm begging you, take a shot. Just one hit. Come on, that's all I need, just one swing...
    [Bender pauses, staring]
    Richard Vernon: That's what I thought. You're a gutless turd.

Bender never says anything wrong or lies, he's punked out by the teacher who wants to feel like a tough guy belittling a young kid who he thinks is a wiseass. He doesn't really know Bender and behind closed doors is something different than what everyone sees. I feel for Bender, I know a few things about the life he had.

"What do you care? You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. You see us as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at 7:00 this morning. We were brainwashed."

See what I mean, the guy sees it how he sees it and makes his mind up about all of them. When actually if you got to know eachother you can really understand the other person isn't so bad and actually a lot like you.
    Excellent movie, I love 80's movies and this movies is Top10 all time if not Top 5.
    Other 80s favorite- Dirty Dancing, not ashamed to say that at all.

14. Grease is from the '70s

15. Where does it say Grease in my post? Anyway, how about some props for a proper analysis of the movie? Instead of some small, insignificant part to my post.

16. Apparently people think I look strikingly similar to a young Molly Ringwald. I completely disagree.

Fucking love this movie, though.

17. this is completely the whole point of the film

by the end of the film you can even feel a little empathy for Vernon

deconstructing characters and breaking the 4th wall with great narration is always a winner in my book - that's why you gotta love Shawshank

anyone else think that "basket case" was hot?

lol

18. zoranj, every time I see a photo of you, it reminds me of Molly Ringwald circa The Breakfast Club/Pretty in Pink/Sixteen Candles

I think she's beautiful, so I only mean that as a compliment (or is it complement... i always get those confused) :)

19. I dont know I was different than most high school kids... I just saw them all as whiney little bitches. But I've always had the I'm who I am you dont like it fuck you type persona. Had I been in that movie I prolly woulda slept...and be woken up by the ganja smoke out. And toke up and listen to all their stories and be like. "Man, you guys lives are shit...not me I'm good. I'm good."

20. This thread just totally talked me into watching the Breakfast Club.
    I love this movie, but im obsessed with movies from the 80's. I think kids of any era will be able to relate to this movie for a long time. Solid flick.