The Bread Thread

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by SoCal Nature Farmer, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Maybe I can talk @skunker~ into saving me a chunk of the discard before it goes in the fridge.....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. i can do that. i need a reason to get out of the house today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. can i leave my starter in a cold room so it takes a few days to rise and i can bake bread every three days or so? has anyone tried that? i have a room that stays 50F or so or even colder it feels sometimes.

• Like Like x 3
  4. So I guess even in the fridge the starter will expand and is gonna lift the lid?
    7E6DB333-17CE-4C14-A808-B56A86D34B04.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Your starter looks really healthy on top. The one on the bottom looks like it completely used up it's feed. I feed mine about 20% more flour than normal and put it right in the fridge. It usually makes it about a week before it gets that active. Here is the one I placed in on the 9th. Next feed is the 16th. 20200113_135201.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Got a few new bread making aids and a book to help me along my bread making journey. 20200113_144544.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. I think that’s broth for soup

• Like Like x 3
  8. What does that paddle tool do exactly? I've been curious about it.

Sent with my new moo moooo

• Like Like x 2
  9. I've had a liquid on top of my sourdough starter that looks very similar to that when I forget to feed it for a few weeks. The one I tossed this winter was 3 years old. Looked alright. But, smelled a little off when I reactivated it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. That's just to bring your initial mix together. I've always used a spoon. Just figured I'd give it a try and see if it makes any difference. It was only 8 bucks.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. It's a Danish Whisk

It's design gives it 5% of surface area of a spoon making it a lot easier to combine bread dough, quick breads and cake batter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 4
  12. So mostly for started though not when making an actual loaf yes?

However, the cake part seriously perked me up. Lol

• Like Like x 3
  13. I got lost in YouTube hell...I hate when I get sucked in lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. My girlfriend bought me a new Kitchenaid stand mixer this fall. But, I still make everything by hand except. Meringues,frostings and whipped creams.

• Like Like x 3
  15. I totally want one

• Like Like x 2
  16. #96 TimJ, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    The Danish Whisk works great. Faster to mix and much less effort. These are some slider rolls I made for our dinner tonight. Plain and everything bagel topping. Heavn, I love the mixer. But, for most things I still hand mix. Cleanup is a bit lengthy. I got a dark blue one. 20200113_182613.jpg
    Edit: Here's a photo of the crumb. Just finished dinner, they were delicious. 20200113_184549.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  17. I gotta share this little gadget as long as we're talking tools.

You squeeze it which opens the spring and stick it a bowl of flour, close it and use it to sprinkle flour over your work surface when working your dough.

20200113_165213.jpg 20200113_165228.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 5
  18. Cool gadget Chunk. I've been using a small kitchen strainer.

• Like Like x 2
  19. When I first started baking, Lumperdawgz aka Clackamas Coot was my sensei and he got me a few must haves that he couldn't live without, one of which was the nifty flour duster.

He also gave me a lame', which is a scoring tool, some linen towels for turning baguettes out onto and the "Bread Baker's Apprentice" book by Peter Reinhardt.

After seeing all of the pics you and @skunker~ have been posting, I really have to get busy again. It's a fun hobby.

• Like Like x 4
  20. I love all kinds of baking/cooking. I do have a lame. I also have white flour sacks I dust and use for turning baguettes. I'm not sure I've posted pictures of those here on GC. I do have the flour duster saved to my amazon account for my next order. I'm going to try soft pretzels again soon. Next bread for me will be a Cinnamon Star bread. I've made it a few times. Lightly sweet bread,great with coffee or tea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1