The Bread Thread

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by SoCal Nature Farmer, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. #881 VikingToker, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
    :laughing:

I'll be baking some rye bread for my personal favorite snack, the Lithuanian kepta duona. Sliced into rectangles, fried lightly in butter, rubbed with garlic, dipped in a creamy, thick, rich cheese sauce and drizzled with grated parmesan.

[​IMG]

Perfect companion to a sharp beer like an IPA. Which I will also be having. No alchohol for six months, either.

And scones. I really miss scones. With honey, specifically. I've never baked scones tho.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. That sounds absolutely delicious. I see no caraway seeds in the fried rye bread? I understand caraway seeds in rye bread is a regional thing. I don't like purchased rye with caraway seed as they are always hard seeds. But, when I make Bauernbrot it is a wonderful addition that adds a great flavor. And.. no hard seeds.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Oh, I'm definitely a beginner in this dojo compared to some of you bread baking black belts. I think you called it with the regional thing. I've had rye bread in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Lithuania, Scotland and Holland, and its been different in each place.

My English is sharp but there are a lot of things I dont know how to translate. Had to look up caraway (karve here). I like that too, but I've only mostly seen caraway seed in Swedish rye bread. I'll be making it by the Danish recipe. I'll be using sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, rye kernels (?), flax seed (?), honey, and a bit of beer.

Guessing Bauernbrot is the German variant?

• Like Like x 3
  4. I imagine we all start off learning the basics. Your Danish variation of rye bread sounds absolutely delicious. I love seeds in my breads they add so much flavor. Yes, Bauernbrot is a German farmer style rye bread. @Chunk helped me develop my bread making skills and for that I am very thankful.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. I need to use a few bananas that were over ripe, so here's another Banana bread with walnuts. 20220519_182954.jpg 20220519_183040.jpg

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ....wheres the melting fresh butter on them slices!!!!!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. A few loafs of Zucchini walnut bread. These were made with my first zucchini harvested this year. 20220623_173947.jpg DSCN0982.JPG

• Winner Winner x 6
  8. Fuck this looks soo good!!! some melted butter!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Thanks @KillaNugz12. I bet that would taste good. But, to be honest it is moist and delicious without anything added. Even my dachshund loved it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Made some fresh bread this morning. Just some buy dough and let thaw and rise. Kids didn't think that's how you could make bread so I had to prove them wrong. So they got woke with a fresh slice of buttered bread this morning. Yummm. PXL_20220828_122859701.jpg PXL_20220828_122904690.jpg PXL_20220828_122939977.jpg PXL_20220828_122908646.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Hey @KillaNugz12, nice bread for purchased dough. My loaves started out looking similar. It took some time and help from the contributors here to better my personal bread making skills.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I baked a lot of breads in a past life and learned to use internal temperature to gauge doneness. I still do with TImJ's banana bread (I shoot for 205 F and use a $27 Taylor Timer/ Thermometer). I wasn't a very good baker and that's how I had to do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Yea a internal temp gauge be nice. I noticed that the one was a little doughy on the inside compared to the other and that ws more than likely do to the way i put them in the over front to back not side by side:smoking:

• Like Like x 2
  14. #894 TimJ, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    I had a craving for fresh baked bread. So. I fed my starter after pouring off the alcohol on top of it. My last feed was back in May, when I last baked bread using it. I added 1/8 teaspoon of dry yeast to kick start it. I then treated it as a normal starter feeding it several times for 2 days. This bread was made from the starter that I revived on Thursday. 20220903_224029.jpg Crumb picture to follow in an hour or so. 20220903_235350.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. That’s amazing TimJ and a beautiful loaf.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks Weedweasle. It is delicious.

17. Holy shit, can't believe I forgot about this thread. Made my first peasant bread with everything bagel seasons a few weeks ago. Now im emboldened to try some new ones. IMG_20220911_182936_841.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Wow, they look delicious @Sirtootsalot. Do you use a recipe or just wing it for your peasant bread.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  19. I found that topping very salty too. On a bagel it's not as bad because some of the topping falls off in the toaster. I just looked at my bulk bottle of everything "but" the bagel seasoning and it even appears to be mostly salt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1