The Bread Thread

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by SoCal Nature Farmer, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. perverted toast pirate.jpg
    beware the breadpirate

2. My bad for failing to mention SAF! You're good to go...

Here's what I used to grind whole kamut and other wheat berries into flour. It's also what I used to grind the malted barley grain for the gardens...Komo Grain Mill from Germany

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  3. Do I still use the 1/4tsp along with the other ratios as outlined before? Only reason I ask is the side says:

1459536020809.jpg

I have the Komo Mill on my list for sure, just holding off until I get the basics understood.

4. You want this book then...

BTW - I'm a graduate of the San Francisco Baking Institute's 6 month program with 1 month in France working in bakeries as we traveled around.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Got two loafs started 75% flour 25% whole wheat with 1% malted barley/blue corn. 1 loaf is in 1st proof. Second I'm trying out Coots Asiago method.

• Like Like x 3
  6. I'll try again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DSCF1745.JPG

My go to sourdough hybrid with yeast.

• Like Like x 5
  8. IMG_1437.JPG
    When I cut it open it was a little bit sticky not sure what this means. It looks and feels fully cooked. But tastes and smells great.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Look for internal temp of loaf to be at 190 for lean doughs ( no fat) and 212 for enriched doughs ( contains fat).

When you think it's done flip loaf over and knock on the bottom, it should sound relatively hollow.

Bong John if your loaf is baked all the way I would lean towards under proofing. Looks like you had a small blowout on the side of your loaf during the oven spring. Did you score your top or let it naturally split?

• Like Like x 2
  10. I scored it, with just a small x

• Like Like x 1

11. Don't be afraid to score deep, it will allow the inside to expand easier and give you more volume and a bigger crumb. That alone may solve your sticky inside.

"Venting" the oven will also pull moisture out of the loaf and give a crisper crust that won't stale as fast. Cracking open the oven door to allow for air exchange ( last 15-10 min of baking)

• Like Like x 5
  12. #32 forty winks, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Sometimes the cause of a sticky crumb is too much starch damage in the flour, either due to the conditions at the time of the wheat harvest and sometimes due to milling practices.

I should add, sometimes too much diastatic malt will produce a sticky or gummy crumb.

• Like Like x 3
  13. I think it was to much malt.

• Like Like x 3
  14. 400 grams of King Arthur Bread flour:

1459745198606.jpg

400 grams of Water:

1459745263013.jpg

1/4 Tsp Instant Dry Yeast:

1459745302312.jpg

Mixed together and covered lightly, left to sit for 18hrs:

1459745366997.jpg

After 18hrs there was a lot of bubbling and the odor had changed from heavy wine to a beer smell:

1459745525867.jpg

Added an additional 200 grams of King Arthur Bread flour and mixed thoroughly:

1459745585701.jpg

1459745609639.jpg

I let the dough sit for 30 minutes before adding in 11 grams of Cornish Sea Salt & beginning the first stretch and fold:

1459745874986.jpg

1459745892288.jpg

After each stretch and fold I would wait 30 minutes between doing another one, completing 4 in total:

1459746092177.jpg

After all 4 stretch and folds had been completed I let the dough sit for an hour and a half to allow it to double in size. 45 minutes prior to the dough being done I placed the deep portion of my Dutch Oven in the oven at 500°f. Separating the dough in to two equal portions, I placed the first boule on the top portion of the Dutch oven and scored the top with a few lines.

1459746462342.jpg

1459746471011.jpg

Placed it into the oven and covered it, immediately lowering the heat to 425°f. Allow the dough to bake for 20 minutes before removing the top (deep portion) of the Dutch Oven. Continued baking for an additional 18minutes with no cover:

1459746725990.jpg

1459746735866.jpg

1459747186419.jpg

1459747282553.jpg

The inside of the first boule was a bit gummy in some spots and had a real salty accumulated taste in those areas. We sliced into it as soon as it came out of the oven though, no time to cool. The second boule I scoured with an X and followed the same guidlines. This time allowing it to cool for 30-40 minutes and there was no gummy consistency inside.

1459747101243.jpg

1459747116004.jpg

1459746746869.jpg

1459746769004.jpg

Overall everyone loves the bread! Sister just got back from a trip around italy and says it's way better than the bread she had there. Grandma really wants sourdough bread now as she said this one had a slight hint of sourdough in it. Fiancé wants cinnamon rolls and pizza, haha! For a "standard bread" this was extremely good and the tastiest bread I have had. I completely understand now why "good bread needs no butter", absolutely delicious!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  15. I have an amazing pecan, walnut, bacon, maple cinnamon roll recipe. Used to work in a everything from scratch doughnut shop. I came up with crazy cinnamon rolls on sat and Sunday's.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tried a maple bacon donut the other day...was surprisingly good

17. Ya I used to do maple bacon doughnuts also a maple coffe. One of my favorite is goat cheese, Heath, pecan

• Like Like x 1
  18. Would you post it? Sounds yummy.

19. You will learn quickly that I don't measure anything. Its all by feel. I have a hard time taking the time to measure for my breads lol.

Take any cinnamon roll dough recipe you like.

Nut butter
    Toast 2 handfuls each of walnuts and pecans and Render 1 or 2 pieces of bacon. Now take the walnuts, pecans and put them in a blender/food proc add the bacon fat(and bacon if you want) as needed. Add cinnamon, brown sugar and salt to taste. I prefer it between smooth and chunky. The smoother it is the easier to spread and roll the dough up.

I normally do an over night cold proof. In the morning I take it out. Roll it out and cover it with a nice thin coat of melted butter. Then take your nut butter and spread that out. Then Cover that with RAW bacon. Roll it up cut to size and proof those.

Maple Glaze (any maple glaze recipe will work)
    1. powder sugar sifted
    2. Maple
    3. Salt
    4. cinnamon
    5. water
    Super simple just toss it all into a bowl take boiling water and add it slowly while whisking. I like my glazes on the thinner side so it will take more water. If you add to much water just toss more powdered sugar in.
    Optional ingredients:
    coffee: just make coffee and use it as your water component
    Bourbon/whiskey: 1/2 shot or more

Glaze goes on right out of the oven.
    Enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  20. #40 forty winks, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Yum!! Thanks.