The brain, perhaps not what we think

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by 1Trismegistus1, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Chase Britton, Boy Without a Cerebellum, Baffles Doctors

Discuss, I find this fascinating, he doesn't have a cerebellum, which would make one a vegetable, yet he's not a vegetable. The cerebellum is responsible for motor skills and balance, yet he is very active and playful. He developed slowly, but he can walk and ride a bike and other stuff.

He's also missing his pons, the part of the brain responsible for BREATHING and sleeping.

So for those who think the brain produces consciousness, you might need to rethink some things, because perhaps we don't know shit about the brain that we thought we did.

2. :laughing:

Cerebellum =/= cerebral cortex.

But consciousness is definitely a result of some hypothetical thing we can't test or see. That makes much more sense to me, and that's why consciousness doesn't cease when body function does. :confused_2:

3. Good post..

I was surprised when I read the article came out today, when just yesterday you were arguing the same thing that is portrayed in the article.

Is there more cases like this or is this just one-in-a-billion?

4. #4 1Trismegistus1, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
    I'm assuming again you didn't even read the article, and automatically oppose me for the sake of your own lack of confidence in yourself. You're making yourself look dumb. You think for once you could actually contribute to the thread instead of being a troll?

Try reading for once, and again you'll see that we don't know jack shit about the human mind, and apparently don't know the function of parts of the brain the way we thought we did. Maybe you should stop piggy backing science and do some of your own work. That is what science is all about isn't it? If every scientist waited for someone else to find shit for them, it would stop.

5. Our Mind is not our brain.

6. #6 Postal Blowfish, Feb 13, 2011
    I already knew the brain will adapt to compensate for deficiency. This is evidence of that, and not the first. (Unless other evidence was hoax) You are actively trying to see another meaning in it, aren't you. I doubt psychology will ever fully understand the brain.

7. #7 1Trismegistus1, Feb 13, 2011

Oh but I'm sure many people would disagree, since we've discovered EXACTLY how the brain and mind work n all..:rolleyes:

edit: as far as blowfish, I'm not saying this is any proof of a soul, what I'm saying is that perhaps we don't know how the brain functions the way we think we do, and shouldn't use it as a "proof" to think that the brain produces mind and when it dies the mind dies, because science says nothing about this.

There is a way of meditating, a system, and when you achieve a certain state, it is like waking up from a dream. When you wakeup from a dream you think "oh, it was just a dream", but when you attain Dhiyana, it is the same feeling as waking up from waking consciousness and that your normal state is not reality, and it is the most shattering thing ever, and one can not pass it off as a hallucination. It is hard to explain, but that's as good as I can do.

8. I was briefly reading something (on a political website no less) about how "they're" starting to think reality may not be a thing in and of itself but a process connected with your own consciousness.

Perhaps that explains why the world seems to cater to my perception?

9. I get that all the time if I meditate long enough, it's amazing

10. As Einstein would say...

"Reality is an illusion, although a very persistent one".

Hindu's have been saying that for thousands of years lol.

11. When certain parts of the brain aren't working, other parts can sometimes compensate to take over other functions. This is really old science.

The brain is definately the main thing that makes us conscious. (with other junk)

But how about... jellyfish for example. They have shown strong evidence of being conscious. There are even some species that have eyes. how do these eyes work without a brain? everything is amazing =\

12. A shame there shall never be 'evidence'.

"Burden of proof tossed upon the believers"

13. Yeah I've gotten it too, though I have yet to achieve Dhyana or Samadhi. You forget who you are and it takes a minute until you settle back into the lower self. Dhyana is sort of the same thing but it totally shatters "reality", a few have gone insane from it, not having a sturdy foundation.

14. Ok then maybe Nevermind lol I've never forgot who I was or shattered reality totally. Although I do usually lose a little bit of my sense of self, nothing completely though.

15. I read the article lol. I'm just poking fun at your absurd ideologies again.

16. I used to get this when I was much younger. When I was a kid. It would happen spontaneously and last for a few seconds... Then I would just settle back into how I normally saw everything. I could never explain it to adults or peers. It was very scary whenever it happened.
    You may dismiss it because it wasn't attained through meditation or you may think I was too young to understand or remember properly. But I know. I was having glimpses of nothing and everything at once. I've seen the world without a veil in front of my eyes. Like waking up from a dream... Fucking brilliant. That's exactly how it is. I've been trying to describe that feeling my whole life... It's like waking up from a dream, but then you fall back to sleep again. It's so difficult to describe but it feels like I understand exactly what you're talking about. It's not something else, I'm not mistaken.
    It continued until it stopped completely when I reached high school.
    I knew the most when I hardly knew anything. Now I know nothing.

17. Actually when a human is below the age of about 5, the brain is still wiring itself. The brain is amazing complex, and as that kid had no cerebellum, the brain would have wired in motor skills else where in the brain.

I remember in psychology class learning about this girl who due to intense seizures they had to remove one of her hemispheres when she was 4. She was age about 9 in the video and could do everything a normal kid could. It took here a bit longer to learn musical and language skills but she appeared to be completely functional.

Also, breathing and sleeping are controlled by the Medulla.

18. The brain is pretty incrediable. At a young age its still growing and is completly capable of adapting tosomething in order to perform its functions. People have performed labotomies (cutting out half the brain) and the brain finds a way to still act normal.

19. Who say the medical buildings' mascot and just went :eek:

20. #20 thabosshogg, Feb 13, 2011
    One day I think that "science" and "spirituality" or "mysticism" will meet and we will discover that they were different approaches to discovering the same thing all along.

It seems to me that a lot of "new" scientific discoveries are just re-hashings of ancient knowledge that mystics and yogis had thousands of years ago.