Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The Brain and THC

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Little Wing, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Hey hey hey,

I've got a question for everyone. So I have decided to take a break from smoking, just to see what its like. I have been smoking quite a bit every day for at least 6 years now with no real break. So I am curious as to how long it takes for the brain to return to its normal functions. Clearly smoking a lot of weed affects the chemistry of the brain. In just the few days I have stopped I already find my thoughts to be clearer and I feel overall more alert... Of course my thoughts are constantly wandering to the sweet sweet thoughts of the oh so sweet smoke I would love so much to inhale...

Anyway, I am just curious as to what other people have experienced with abstaining from THC for a while. I am planning on at least taking 6 months off if not more, and after that I will probably make smoking a more occasional and special treat. I have a pretty fast metabolism so that should aid me, but I have years and years of absurd buildup, haha.

Oh yeah this isn't some sort of rightous crap or anything, I encourage you to all keep smoking. The more stoned people, the mellower the population in general.

2. Take a few months break, id say about 3-6

3. Yeah, I understand it will take a while. I am more interested in just hearing peoples observations of what it was like for them to take a break. Most stoners I know haven't given it a try yet!

4. I've found marijuana fasts to be very beneficial. You already mentioned being more alert and energetic, that's a definite plus. Also, your tolerance will build back up and so when you return to smoking you'll get extremely stoned. As for the cravings, I found myself thinking excessively about smoking for the first few weeks of my fast, but it never was something I couldn't handle. It's really not difficult to stop smoking pot if you really want to.

That said, smoking is so good for you that it may be good to still light up occasionally. You said that you're smoking multiple times a day, so it might be a good idea to just cut back dramatically, not completely. Maybe smoke biweekly, or however infrequently you like. Whether you stop completely or just smoke less frequently, neither is a bad decision.

5. i was thinking of taking a hiatus for all the same reasons you listed. i've been smoking for 6 years every day, a few times a day. i just get so bored when im not smoking. plus its hard cause all my friends smoke and when we're together, thats what we do. but i agree that breaks are the way to go. i hope i get around to one soon.

6. well to answer your question everything just gets clearer and you just feel more energetic (at least i did). the first time i took a break i really felt like a crackhead, i mean i got suicidal for some reason, just don't know why. but my breaks after that first one have made me feel better. i just kept myself busy and was fine. good luck bro and it gets better the more time you give it

7. I took a like 2 month break and it was great. More clear thoughts, I was able to concentrate a little harder when it came to crunch time.
    I'm back smoking again, but I'm doing what you said you're going to do. More occasional and like a treat type thing

8. I went to work in India for 12wks (after smoking pretty much every day for 7 years) and didn't even try to get any whilst out there - The major difference for me was the ability to 'rise and shine', I would wake up much easier.
    I wouldn't say smoking makes you stupid though - I can deal with problems pretty much the same, providing I'm not actually stoned at the time !