The biggest problem facing a lot of rappers...

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Mr Stoned, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Is that every good rapper has at least one purely dope album. Some doper than others, some produce works of utter godliness. This is wonderful for hip hop, but not always for the artist. They'll make one really special album and the rest of their careers won't be able to match it because it's their pure magnum opus, their greatest work. For instance, Eminem made Slim Shady lp and the rest of his career has never been able to produce something quite as good. Marshal Mathers was amazing. The Eminem Show was pretty damn good for the most part. After that he just completely fell off. Nas made Illmatic which was 10 tracks of pure genius, then the rest of his career he's just never been able to match it. He came close with It Was Written and he's had some pretty sick albums since then, but nothing to equal his mastery that was Illmatic. Canibus' Rip the Jacker was unbelievable and completely fresh, but he's never produced anything as good beforer or since. A Tribe Called Quest had Midnight Marauders, but nothing they made quite compared to that. 2pac had Me Against The World, but never made anything close to being as good as that. Biggie had Ready to Die, but P Diddys shocking production really tarnished Life Aftter Death. Etc Etc Etc the list goes on.

I judge rappers on their best work, which is both a curse and a blessing because rappers never seem to live up to their best work, which is understandable but taints their image in the eyes of their audience. Gang Starr are one of the only hip hop acts I can think of that made two godly albums years apart, Step in the Arena and Moment of Truth. Rakim made Paid in Full and Follow the Leader which were both stupidly dope. I can't think of many artists who made more than one godly album years apart though.

2. This isn't just a problem for rappers. It's not really their problem though. The reason this happens is because it tends to cause a transition in their life that takes them away from what they speak about. Ill use Tech N9ne as an example. The lyrical content on his underground and early popular music was amazing. The flow was amazing to. But since he has gained success the struggles and pains that caused him to write his early stuff fades and is replaced by raps about possessions. His flow is still at the top of the game but his lyrical content has taken a huge shit. But see thats what music/art is about to the artist. Its self healing. If they can't heal move on and grow from their art then whats the point? Its not the rappers problem like I said. Its the listeners problem for not being open minded and not wanting the artists to change or grow.

3. Yeah once a rapper is no longer motivated by whatever demons plague them then their lyrical content usually turns stale.