The big debate 20 plants vs. 1 monster

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by georgyboy, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hey guys i'm trying to have a simple and cheap grow going on while I save up some funds to build my dream closet setup. I created a diy cfl reflector with a large box that holds 12 26watt bulbs and is 2 feet wide and about 15 inches long. What would get me a bigger yield under this kind of light. One scrog in a screen that matches the size of the box, and a 5 gallon container, or 20 plants crammed close and going 12/12 from seed in half gallon containers. Also, how long would it take to fill a screen of that size you think? Would the shorter growing time of a 12/12 outweigh a smaller harvest? Does anyone have experience going 12/12 from seed under cfls? Any and all help from the community is greatly appreciated. Plus I just like to talk about growing pot.

2. I think the problem is that you need clones to be able to flower them right away. You "can" flower from seed, but the plant isn't actually mature enough to start flowering, and you will probably end up with 20 plants that are way bigger than if you had 20 clones from a mature female to start out with.
    So in essence, you're plants will get much too big if you flower from seed because they haven' t matured yet.

3. You can achieve essentially the same results either way, SOG vs. Scrog. Although under CFLs I think you will want at least 2 plants, not just one, to try to fill up that screen. The advantage of the SOG is time, you don't have to wait for one plant to veg out. But as coffee man said, a SOG makes a lot more sense if you are starting with clones.

4. Yeah, I just don't have the supplies for clones, nor do I have a place to house a mother. I've grown plants 12/12 before. I treated them poorly, at first, because they weren't my main concern, I just started a couple seeds while a seperate plant was mid flower. I let them get to spindly for my liking, but I think with better care they would have tighter node growth. I think I'm going to do the scrog for now, and then I'm going to build my veg chamber that I plan on putting in my closet, and doing the 12/12 inside the chamber while the scrog flowers too. I like doing different grows because I feel there's alot to learn through the process. Most the 12/12 threads I have seen on here seem like they are grown poorly, with inadequate lighting and soggy mediums. If anyone has a link to a good 12/12 grow, I'd like to see it.