The BEST soil mix?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by blackbudz, Nov 3, 2012.

1. #1 blackbudz, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2012
    Ok i know there is no such thing. But im on a mission to make the best soil i can possibly make. Feel free to chime in in your idea of the best ( cough cough ITG and Jerry) mix.

Here goes

50% peat
    25% compost
    25% aireation ( pumice,rice hulls,and perlite)

Amendments

Kelp meal
    Peru, indo, mexican bat guanos equally mixed
    Alfalfa meal
    Neam meal
    Crab meal
    Feathermeal
    Greensand

Azomite and glacial rock dust 50/50 for micros

Idk where else to go with it.... what would you change?

Lime and egg shell(from my parents farm) 50/50 for ph

2. Hey blackbudz,
    The best soil is the soil that has the best humus. All the amendments are superfluous- good humus is the main thing. That said, it looks like you have an excellent list of ingredients. Just be sure to use the best compost you can. Also, I like to have around 30% humus in my soil, so a little more than you have. Just my 2 cents.

Also, let it sit and nutrient cycle for as long as you can. That's another thing that makes a big difference.

3. While compost is an excellent source of soil life, I can't say enough about adding worm castings as well. I'm talking quality worm castings. Like ITG said, this makes all the difference in the world - it'll make or break a garden.

If you've already got this made up, top dressing with good castings works well too. It looks like you've got your bases covered and I have no doubt you'll do very well.

Good luck.

J

4. ^yes, ewc is the ticket. If I had to choose, I'd take ewc over compost any day. I only recently found a decent compost source, before then it was strictly ewc, with great results.

edit: and make sure to get the highest quality ewc you can find, not wiggle worm.

5. looks like a good soil mix

I have finally found a good source for quality EWC in my area of NC, still searching for good Humus so if anyone has any advice or info, I am in NC. Ganja Girl, you seem to always help me out with my organic questions so im guessing you will chime in soon :)

Good luck heads

MM

6. Matt, sent you a PM :)