The Best Medium in the World: 100% Perlite !

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by zeroshawdow, May 23, 2012.

1. #1 zeroshawdow, May 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
    Hello City :wave:

I'm Zero ! I've been growing MJ for me and Mrs. Zero for the past 4 years. I'm an experimental guy, you could say. In my search of knowledge a lot of mistakes were made in the process. I have been in a quest for the past 4 years of getting the best medium for me. In order to grow the best medical marijuana possible.

I have been on and off growing for the past years. In reality is not until now, when I have the chance to grow freely in a certain way. That freedom allow me to experiment even further. I have tried in the past with some success and some disappointment, the following mediums:

1. Peat Moss with Perlite (No amendments)
    2. Peat w/ Perlite (Lime, Epsom)
    3. Peat Moss Alone
    4. Garden Soil w/ Perlite
    5. Garden soil w/ Perlite, Peat Moss, Coco Coir, Lime, Epsom
    6. Garden soil w/ Perlite, Peat Moss, Epsom, Bone Meal, Blood Meal
    7. Coco Fiber Alone
    8. Coco Coir Alone
    9. Coco Coir w/ Perlite *** In progress ***
    10. Coco Coir w/ Perlite, Garden Tone *** In progress ***
    11. 100% Perlite
    12. Organic Soil
    13. DWC
    14. Drip System
    15. Low Pressure Aeroponics System

Out of the 15 mediums I tried. I found one of it, stands out from the rest. That medium is Perlite. I have been researching the net and specially the forums. I have found just one journal with pics about perlite and the grower is not even active since a couple of years ago. However, since my last experiment is about to be over a decision will be made.

I have 2 successful harvest from 100% perlite. One of the plants was a Hempy Bucket and the other one normal container. I will use from now on the normal container. Hempy is not for me.

The main benefit I can see for the sake of my back is, perlite is so light weight. Even when is soak wet. Weight less than any other medium. In addition is pest free and have neutral PH.

I'm growing 2 plants right now in perlite. Both of them are thriving. I feel is time to stop the searching and apply what I've learned. I have a Pineapple Express and Moby Dick. I harvested Wappa and Bubba Kush already.

There is a final experiment going on with the Organic Soil. I consider myself a cannabis connoisseur or at least I think I am :eek: who knows ! :laughing:

I'm wating for the final test. The taste test !The reason for to try Organic was due to the hype about the flavor you get from Organic MMJ. I have a Pineapple Express already done. Just waiting for more trichomes to turn ambers and chop her down.

I have a few pictures of my current plants. I do not have pictures of the previous one. However they are in video updates in my Journal.

I found some pics of Bubba Kush
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moby Dick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pineapple Express (Clone was taken on 04/15/2012)
    [​IMG]

This is how she looks as today (Switch to flower on 05/06/2012, she is at 2 weeks)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the comparison between the Organic vs Perlite
    [​IMG]

However, I got to admit the picture do not do too much justice to the Organic Soil. This is how the Organic look from a close up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Based on my own experience. I can say Perlite Rocks !

I would like to hear your inputs and pictures of your perlite grows. Hopefully I will keep this thread alive with updates of the plants in perlite. Until I make the final decision.

No worries blades. If you do not have any experience with the medium. Let's learn all of us together while we chill !

Hope my information push more growers to try perlite. Is really amazing. Let's keep the circle of learning rolling.

Peace

ZS

2. How much% and how fast is your runoff? How often do you water?

3. I use 2.5 Gallon Containers. I water every 4 days (more or less). Half Gallon Solution to each plant. I let any runoff at the bottom. it will be dry in the next 24 hours.

HIH

ZS

4. I may have to try that on my upcoming grow.

5. Let me know as soon you start !

ZS

6. Ok Guys this is what happens when you let a stoner gets inspirational after hitting the bong :D

I will start with the different experiences I had along the way with the mediums I've used. First I will start with;

Garden Soil- I have used this medium with different amendments, such as lime, epsom, bone meal, blood meal, perlite, peat moss and coco coir.

My grows with Garden Soil as a base were average. I was harvesting 1/2 oz out of one gallon pot with 2 weeks or less of veg. time. When I tried blood and bone meal. I did not know about how I was suppose to let the mix cook and I burned my plants. Therefore never tried again. Garden Soil was a major headache with spider mites in my grow.

I rate Garden Soil with a B+

Peat Moss- is effective, however I did a couple of run with out adding Lime until the very last minute and the consequences are deadly for the plant. The thing I love about peat moss is the availability and the price. You can virtually get anywhere in US a Bale 3.8 cu ft of Peat Moss under $15. Beside that it did gave trouble with some spider mites too as well.

I rate Peat Moss with A-

Coco Coir - Alone is a nightmare. Mix with perlite is a charm. However the price of the Coco makes it not cost effective compare to other mediums. In addition tailored design nutrients are required for maximum performance. Increasing the cost of the grow. I had high expectations for Coco when I start experimenting with it. However I can vouch for the faster root development. Which is essential for healthy flower.

I rate Coco Coir with B

Coco Fiber- Alone. Is like mini mulch pieces. It was a Royal Nightmare. I do not like it not even if someone give it tome for free for life :D

I rate Coco Fiber with F- F- F- F- F- :mad: :D

See ya later guys time to hit the bed. I will continue 2morrow !

ZS

7. This is very interesting.. Just perlite? It seems like it works fine your babies look beautiful. What if i was to add a foxfarm soil nutrient additive, could I add it to just perlite you think? To be exact i'm talking about American Pride Foxfarm time release fert.

8. You will be good in either case. Perlite as companion or by itself is great, My advice try it by itself. You won't regret it. This not an invention of the wheel. This is the same wheel was invented years ago. However using just perlite is an aspect that have been overview by many.

Try it as an experiment on the side. Let me know how it goes.

HIH

ZS

9. Looks awesome man...what are you feeding them? Sorry if I missed it.

10. Following this, I have seeds germing now...

11. Very interesting indeed. Thanks for taking the plunge! Definitely following this closely, maybe will get an experiment going too.

12. Good Morning City !

I will continue today with my personal reviews pf different mediums. One important thing I would like to state. To all new growers. Important advice from me to you. If you are using any type of fertilizer with tap water. I strongly sugest to use a Digital PH Meter. I have ben using a Cheap-O one for the past 8-9 months. I recently replaced it. Because one night ... the inevitable happen. While I was high it fall into the mix bucket, can't help it stoner ! :D

If you want almost 100% success growing. Get a PH Meter before you even start smoking marijuana for the 1st time ... :laughing:

Going back to business !

Organic Soil w/ amendments (Happy Frog) - is working very idiot proof for me. I just water the plant with plain R/O water. 2 o3 times with molasses and just one EWC tea at the very end. She did not grow very big. However she grew perfectly healthy the whole time. That fact alone impressed me right there. Right now is all down to taste. However the taste has to be very, very, very good for me to drop perlite. I will re-veg this plant and run veg time a little longer.

Sorry guys but I have to run some errands. See ya at night !

ZS

13. Please do tell more about your method, very interested in trying this ...

How do you know when to water? What nutes do you use? Feeding cycles?

TIA and stay green ...

14. i believe some guys that do "hempy buckets" use 100% perlite.

hard to nail down exactly what people use, but here's one that looks like it's using hydroton

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1007068-dr-90-5gal-hempy-buckets-5.html

here's one that's 80% perlite and 20% vermiculite:

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-g...-inspired-gs-member-itsthemysterys-hempy.html

2:1 Hydroton to Coco Croutons:

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-g...t-lambsbread-hydroton-coco-hempy-buckets.html

"98% perlite" (basically 100%, but he used a peat pellet):

http://forum.grasscity.com/hydropon...9-itsthemysterys-easy-ryder-hempy-bucket.html

15. #15 zeroshawdow, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
    Hey Grower ! Glad you stop by !

I water every 4 days (more or less). I feed the plants with half gallon of solution to each container (2.5 Gallon Pot). Since I have deep saucers, usually I let the runoff to stay at the bottom. After 24 hours it won't be there.

I use A/N or GH at the moment. I feed in every watering I put into it.

Amazing Links ! I went to all of it. Is a shame people do not continue with perlite alone. One thing I read in most of the grows is the harsh taste when is smoked. I want to say that is due to hempy style. I had the same situation with Wappa. She was grown in Perlite w/ Hempy Bucket. However grew a Bubba Kush in perlite but with a normal pot and a lot flushing the last 1.5 weeks.

One word of advice: you have to flush at least 4X the size of the pot every 2 days or so. The smoke is same as any hydro grow that have been properly flush. Excellent, Superb, Magnifique :D Flush the last week and half. Make sure your runoff has the same PPM reading as your flushing water prior the flush.

Thanks for the great info

HIH

Peace

16. Sorry I think. I missed you and reply someone before you. My apologies.

I use A/N and GH as base with different supplements.

Lucas Formula
    Sensi Bloom A&B
    Bud Candy
    Overdrive
    Monster Bloom
    Cal-Max
    Pro-Tekt
    Liquid Seaweed plus IRON
    Snow Storm Ultra
    Hygrozyme
    Superthrive
    Mycos
    Molasses

Some are foliar, some directly to the containers.

HIH

17. Your welcome. You will see ! We will create something good in here !

18. Good Evening City !

I will continue with the reviews.

Tonight the turn is for the hydroponics mediums.

Hydroton w/Drip System - I was excited in the beginning. I was like: more simpler and automated cannot get than this. However I dealt with so many clogged drippers. I did not like very much. The yeild was compromised, due to the clogged drippers. I was using just Hydroton in Buckets.

I will rate it with a B-

Low Pressure Aeroponics D.I.Y. - This is the real deal. If I have to pick one medium will be this one. The medium in this system ... Air ! :eek: I was impressed with the performance and yield. This box gave me my biggest yield to date. Out of 4 plants in the box with just two weeks veg time after 1st root appear. I harvest 11 Zips with a 400W HPS. You might be asking to yourselves, "Why he do not say and use this ?"

Mmm ... I will put in a civil word. The type of word for TV-14. "It is a Royal Pain in the Ass" I will explain myself. In order to make it work more money has to be invested. I really did not want to spent more and more. Right now with the perlite as medium. I'm leaning towards less and less. My design is too big and I need to invest in water chiller in order to work flawlessly and even so ... there is no guarantee you won't get trouble in the root system.

However the system and technology is impressive. I can vouch for the performance and the funny thing is; I did not have the chance to test the box at 100% performance level. Last time I test it, you could say I operate at 75% performance level and still was impressive.

I will rate with a A+++++++++++++++++++ :D

DWC - This the 3rd best medium to grow. I can say is the most effective and the most simple of all. However is a pain in the ass to keep the water temperature below 68 to avoid pythium. The results are Jaw-dropping. It makes the plants grow faster and bigger. I love this system. Right now I have a White Widow in DWC. However I just come from a Tittle Fight against Pythium.

A water chiller will help with the problem. However I do not want to invest more money and raise more the electric bill. Those water chiller will give a run for your money. They are on 24/7/365 (in my case). Therefore will be halted for the moment.

I will rate with a A+++++++

Which it brings us to the last medium and the best of all IMO.

Perlite

I will make the good review tomorrow morning. Right now I have to go to the LAB and say Good Morning (because they just woke up :D) to my babies. The perlite were fed two days ago. I usually water when I see those big cola leaves kind of wilt a little bit.

I truly believe MJ love getting almost bone dry. I notice it push the plant to work harder, IMO. That's why I water every 4 days.

Keep the Flow Going On ! We need more Growers with stories. Regardless if they are good or bad experiences.

Peace

• Like Like x 1
  19. Good Evening City !

Since the Site was down. I cannot write a full review of perlite and now I cannot, because I'm STONED :D

See Ya 2morrow

20. Looks interesting. Personally, I use about a 60/40 FFoF soil and perlite mix. IMO, 90% of the grows I see on GC could use more perlite. Subbed. :smoke: