The BEST DIY EZ walmart carbon filter for MICRO grows Zen style.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by bubbling, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Awesome Tut, but the big question still hasn't been answered. How good is this for masking odor? How about 8 plants only a foot tall? Or 4 two foot plants? etc? anyone have exp?

2. Could i just make this, strap a 120mm fan on the top and just set it inside the cabinet? Or would that not do anything

3. well stoner theory dictates it should cut a very small amount of the scent but not all of it because you're still venting out air that hasn't been filtered..

And to answer the question on how long it would last.. I'd say refill after every grow.. those with more exp can correct me if I'm wrong.. but activated carbon doesn't stay "activated" very long.

4. bump. this is the bestest diy micro filter ever.

5. this is so sick, i hope they have these style cups at my local walmart haha. btw would this still work just as well putting it inside the cab so the fan is pulling through instead? and how much does this cut the cfm by? noticeably
    ? thanks again!

6. yeh it cuts the cfm by a little bit..but it's pretty free flowing compared to others. My local walmart stopped carrying the smaller size a few months ago, but office max had them..slightly different straight sided cup, but still works.

They'll work either way..I like to vacuum the dust off mine once in a while. Making a prefilter out of some polyfill or w/e will help a little bit too. I think I've made at least a dozen of these.

7. I work at walmart and i made them order a case of both sizes(i work in that dept) and this works great except i had to .make a flang for it to fit on my type of fan

8. I think walmart does theirs 14oz'ers for 5.98 o_O -->by the fish stuff.

9. Spammers lol

10. What type of fan do ya have there? I am building a box now and want to get a 4" inline fan like this one: Newegg.com - HYDROFARM ACDF4 Active Air 4 Inch In-Line Fan 165 CFM ... I am hoping to make and attach this Scrubber to it. If you can give me any instruction about installing the fan it would be appreciated... attaching it to 1/2" plywood. I have found next to nothing about installing the fan on the net and I want to make sure it'll work before I order a $80 fan

11. So I went out and bought a cup like this, but walmart only had one size....where can I get a hold of a smaller size? :(

12. [quote name='"al3k5"']So I went out and bought a cup like this, but walmart only had one size....where can I get a hold of a smaller size? :([/quote]

Anyone?

13. [quote name='"al3k5"']

Anyone?[/quote]

I had luck going to staples or a similar store

14. #55 al3k5, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
    Office max was near me, and surely it had them! Good idea btw, ill post a pic of it in my new setup here soon! Thanks!

15. Hey man, can this work on a 120mm pc fan ?

16. so you have the air blowing threw the filter and not sucking the air threw right?

17. #58 johnneyb420, May 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
    I made this exact filter and hooked it up to a 120mm 80cfm 2000 rpm pc fan, a 120mm 40cfm 900 rpm pc fan, and a 4 inch PMX high velocity fan from wal-mart. My filter sat in a square box behind the fans, pulling air thru the filter and out my exhaust. It was air tight. The box behind the fans was the exact square shape of the pc fans, about 3 inches deep.

All three fans restricted air flow to the point where I could not feel much if anything. How in the hell do people get these to work? Are they attaching these to real inline fans or hydro fans or what? Please someone help with the actual fan connection, for a small micro grow.

Edit: stealth micro grow going in my friends house, his wife cannot find out, so noise is an issue

18. I had a question for my growers out there. If I use this DIY Carbon filter how would I be able to use it as a stand alone unit in my small grow tent. I am not venting or exhausting air by fans since its a 3'X2' tent, i just unzip it during lights on. I would leave it on the ground, but my question is do I need to use a fan with the filter in order to clean reefer air?

19. #60 eyec0n, May 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
    When I built this today I noticed one big flaw in the design. There is nothing really holding the inner can from sliding / being sucked out. Since the inner can fits inside my fan vent, I just had a mental image of it getting sucked into the fan and all the carbon going through my fan/exhaust and into the closet. The solution for me was after I filled the bottom of the larger can with carbon and lined the two cans I drilled a wood screw in that grabbed both cans and held them together. No way the fan will be able to move the smaller can now.

Attached Files: