The Atheist Lounge

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by *guest, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm an atheist by the western standard of what is "god".
    and I'm not religious.
    spiritual though

2. Any room for an Apatheist in here?

3. If I had to describe my beliefs (or lack of) towards gods, I have to say, Im a apatheist agnostic atheist, if that made sense lol. :smoke:

4. #84 A.R.C., Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
    i think i see - you don't care but if you had to choose you wouldn't believe there is a god, but you're still open to the possibility?

sometimes, i actually hesitate to label myself because i'm afraid people of any creed will actually take the time out to get into a verbal altercation about it. like, if i don't support legislation that's influenced from religion then supposedly i'm an atheist, at best.

maybe i am to some extent, but at the end of the day i think i strive to achieve the same goals as most atheists, agnostics, or what have you. i want to persuade people in shunning bad ideas in an attempt for our society to flourish, whether they be religion-based, or pseudoscience-based.

even if god does exist, i still don't think you need to be dependent of certain literature in order to seek your greatest value in life.

5. Of course! Anyone who isn't here to try to convert me is totally welcome if you ask me. :laughing:

Maybe I should make a more inclusive title. I don't even mind if theists who understand the problems with religion feel like joining in the conversation.

Though I'd rather any strongly religious people who think we all just need to be "saved" go and start their own thread rather than ranting about it in mine. :p

Labels can be both a blessing and a curse, I suppose. There are so many misconceptions with them all.

Like the idea that all atheists believe they are absolutely 100% certain there is no god. You can be an atheist and still say "I don't know for sure, but I don't believe in a god."

That's why terms like agnostic atheist/agnostic theist/gnostic atheist/gnostic theist are helpful. If you wanna get a little more specific, I mean.

I'm the kinda person who never says I'm positive about anything unless I am really fuckin' positive about it.

I wouldn't say there is absolutely no possibility of a god existing. But I don't believe a god exists, and if there were a god, I definitely do not believe he/she/it is anything like the major religions believe.

As far as the origins of life on our planet go, I'd be more willing to believe in alien involvement than deity involvement. :confused_2:

6. I'll just leave this here...

[​IMG]

7. couldnt agree more....

i love that if you read what the guy they claim to follow actually taught......... he couldnt agree more ether:eek:

him telling them that religion is the fucking problem is why they killed him....
    then....soon as he is gone..they go and start ....fuck...can anyone even count how many of them there are in this guys name?
    after their book says he died for saying...religion is bulshit.....

8. It seems a lot of people who claim to follow the Bible don't actually follow the Bible at all.

Like the Christians who get all up in arms whenever an Atheist group tries to put a stop to public schools promoting one religion over another or holding public prayer at graduation ceremonies.

I give you, sirs, Matthew 6:5-6

"5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Strange, it's almost as if the Atheists are telling them the very same thing the Bible is! :p

9. "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,"

Matthew 28:19

That's a confusing book, eh. I can already imagine the copout: prayer is not the same as salvation.

10. does doesnt it.....;):smoke:

i personally find it great
    how so often the atheist i meet and know....
    know more about what that book has to say then the "followers"

11. Ugh, yeah, of course there would be a contradicting quote. :rolleyes:
    I haven't even gotten through Matthew yet, so I didn't see that one.

Pray in private, but go make other nations follow your beliefs. Just, you know, don't pray in front of them.

What the hell, Bible? :laughing:

12. Do any of you guys read the Friendly Atheist blog by Hemant Mehta?

This one cracked me up.

Lady who works in a public school, later found to be not a teacher but a member of the staff, claims on Facebook that she "prays" with kids during school hours every day. She tried to delete her comments about it, but some fancy person went and got a screen shot of it. ;)

[​IMG]

It's these kinds of things that really piss me off. The fact that she thinks so highly of herself for trying to bring her own God into these kids lives.

Because that's what she believes in and she probably thinks she's 'saving' these kids and helping them get into 'Heaven'.

And of course, many parents would never complain because they're either Christian themselves or trying to pretend to be Christian for the sake of fitting in to this "Christian" nation.

But if some school staff member admitted that she was praying to Allah with these public school kids and showing them the love of the Quran?

Guaranteed there would be outrage from the Christian folk. Outrage that a public school employee would dare try to push her religion on these public school children.

It's just another example of "It's okay to push your Christian religion, but don't you dare try to push some other religion or lack thereof."

13. JD...i think i can explain where some of that shit comes from.....
    maybe....
    sorry if i posted this shit in this thread already....my memory is garbage
    you see ...in these people.....there is an inflated sense of loyalty ...
    as well as delusions of grandeur...
    these are symptoms of TLE
    if that woman....had just the tiniest bit of temporal issue...
    why wouldnt she be willing to break the law to push her beliefs......
    is that not what her christ did? in that book....

i remember at times in my life thinking that the only thing my own vision could being coming from had to be some kind of god.....
    this helped me to easily see thru the crap religion pushes.....but i am an unusual case...i score off the chart cognitively......most experience cognitive issues ....often seriously inhibiting there ability to comprehend things.....
    they can assimilate and regurgitate.....but cannot understand
    they make the perfect followers.....
    they dont get it and they dont care....
    they just keep spewing the same shit they were told over and over....

Read more: Transcendent Experience

again sorry if i posted that shit^^^^ here already:confused:

i cant help but see it everywhere.....whether it is there or not....

14. I totally understand where you're coming from DD, and it may be the case with some of these people, but I don't think it is the case with most of them.

It's pretty clear to me that some of these people strongly believe this is a "Christian Nation" full of believers in Christ and they should spread those beliefs far and wide to anyone who will listen.
    Hell, I'm sure a lot of them think they are "saving" these people, because a belief in Christ means you are "saved" and will get to go to Heaven.

"This is a Christian nation and I must bring others to believe in Christ so that I may help "save" them."

I really think it's all about the perceived religiosity of this country. It's okay to push your Christian beliefs on people because this is (supposedly) a nation of Christians.

But it's not okay to push atheism or Islam or any other belief here. Because this is a "Christian Nation!!!"

I'm not willing to pass it off as an actual medical issue. That may be the case with some, but it is certainly not the case with all of them.

15. i agree...completely...no way it is all of them....
    but i think it is likely some of the more outrageous ones

now that i am thinking about it ....it is a thing that can be genetic....
    is it fair to say that many if not most of them are only in the church they are in because of their family having "always" been a part of it?
    ever been in a southern evangelistic church?
    omfg.......

i mean..the only major exception i can see right off the top of my head would be the AA/NA Christians....they have a whole different psychosis altogether.....:eek:;):smoke:

16. Oh, that is absolutely, without a doubt, fair to say.

I believe that's why many people are still so into religion, because that's how they were raised, and that's what mom and dad believe, what grandma and grandpa believe, often times it's what everyone in your family believes.

It's hard to break away from something like that.

I think a decent portion of younger Christians are only Christians because they were raised to believe that way and it takes a lot of thought, effort, and maybe even some hatred from your family to come out and say "no wait, I've decided I don't believe this thing that you all believe and raised me to believe."

(Note: You can replace the "Christian" part of my post with "Muslim" if you like, I'm only focusing on what I experience here in the US.)

And I mean, that's one reason why I keep posting things like this, disagreeing with religion.

Because I believed in god until I was 13. Because that's how my parents raised me to believe, and they only raised me that way because that's what they were raised to believe.
    My mom has openly admitted (only recently) that she has never read the Bible. Yet she cried when she found out I was an atheist. And I chose those beliefs based on debates I read on a fucking online forum just like this one.

What's the deal with raising your kids to adhere to specific belief system anyway? I would much rather raise my kids by teaching them to think for themselves and come to their own conclusions than trying to force them into my own beliefs.

17. #99 *guest, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
    ^^ Just another one of those awesome double standards they all love so much...

"Leviticus says gay marriage is wrong!!!"

Have you fucking read the rest of Leviticus? Why are you wearing clothing made of mixed fabric, you asshole? :laughing:

I can't remember if it was the Quran or the Old Testament, maybe both, but one of them said that if a woman is raped she must marry her rapist or else be stoned to death or some shit.

And I'd wager a large fuckin' portion of these assholes who are against gay marriage because "the Bible says...!" have had pre-marital sex.

But hey, God will forgive them for that! Them gays, on the other hand? No, they get no forgiveness from our God. God only forgives the sins I've done, not your stupid gay sins.

You wanna kick your son out of the house because he told you he's gay? Or maybe you want to kick your son out because he told you he doesn't believe in god?

Hey, where's that Bible verse about people who don't care for their family being even worse than non-believers?

Oh, gee, here it is. Timothy 5: fuckin' 8.
    BOOM, FUCKERS!!!

Clearly, this is the point where I have become drunk. :laughing:

18. i think some of them think that it is their job to try and mold their kids into what they want them to be....
    rather then teach them to be who they are....
    and as you said find shit out for themselves!

they dont want to teach them to learn....
    they want to teach them to repeat.....

we have been stuck on repeat long enough.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.